Flight to Merida

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
My niece called and has been stuck in the Cancun area in a shelter for several days. She called tonight and asked if I could fly in and get her. I told her I'd check. Merida is a POE and she said she could get ground transportation there. I'm trying to call the airport--no luck. FSS says it's O.K.

Any suggestion.

I cannot help to much except to say Frontier Airlines is trying to use Merida to get their passengers off the Yucatan. I have heard on the news that bus service is possible to Merida even though the roads are in bad shape. If you decide to go remember that Campeche is an AOE and you probably use it if you cannot land in Merida. It is possible to rent a car to drive to Merida and back.

Walt said:
I cannot help to much except to say Frontier Airlines is trying to use Merida to get their passengers off the Yucatan. I have heard on the news that bus service is possible to Merida even though the roads are in bad shape. If you decide to go remember that Campeche is an AOE and you probably use it if you cannot land in Merida. It is possible to rent a car to drive to Merida and back.

Thanks Walt. The Mexican Embassy is now telling me Cozumel is open.

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks Walt. The Mexican Embassy is now telling me Cozumel is open.

Cozumel is closed; Cancun is open to military traffic only. Did get through to Merida operations and there are no GA restrictions. Now, I'll have to see if I can get the plane ready tomorrow and get my family to Merida.

Dave

Dave;

I hope you can get there. Compeche as Walt suggested might be the best bet. Lots of Damage in the Cozomel area.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Best of luck to you and safe flight.

John

Dave,
Merida is the best way to do this but by the time you get there gas supplies maybe low, leave the US with all the gas you can carry. Even if Cozumel were open I don't know how you could get your passenger out there. I understand the port in Cozumel really got wrecked. Good luck on the mission.
Walt

Walt said:
Dave,
Merida is the best way to do this but by the time you get there gas supplies maybe low, leave the US with all the gas you can carry. Even if Cozumel were open I don't know how you could get your passenger out there. I understand the port in Cozumel really got wrecked. Good luck on the mission.
Walt

Yes, Walt. It's three hours over the gulf to either Cancun or Merida. If they are low on fuel, I'll just have to fly inland to the closest Mexican airport to top off, then head back to the States.

Lindsay called again this evening and said they were not in danger, but are miserable. Sleeping outside; there is food and water, but not much else. Delta is telling her they can get her group out next Tuesday eariest and she's altready been there a week. I'll see what Uncle Dave can do. Sounds like Merida; short hop for gas; Dallas.

Dave

Need a co-pilot, Dave?

Edit: By the way, your family are fortunate to have you, and not just for airplane purposes.

Spike:

Afraid I need to lose weight to get everyone in; much less carry someone else!! It would be great to have a co-pilot, but looks like I can't pick up everyone as it is.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Spike:

Afraid I need to lose weight to get everyone in; much less carry someone else!! It would be great to have a co-pilot, but looks like I can't pick up everyone as it is.

Dave

(Spike, after wiping off nose...)

Hey, it was worth a shot!

Be careful- how much family is down there ennyhoo? Sounds like a good job for FedEx (excess weight).

SCCutler said:
(Spike, after wiping off nose...)

Hey, it was worth a shot!

Be careful- how much family is down there ennyhoo? Sounds like a good job for FedEx (excess weight).

There are six total. My niece went with a friend and her family. They are trying to figure our who will ride back with me. Last thought was three of them and baggage. Could change, but, as you can see, I can't bring them all back in one trip. Haven't ruled out a second sortie, but I'll just have to play it by ear. Why don't you send me your cell number in case I do a round trip. I'm afraid if I do that, I'd just go to Corpus and turn around rather than coming to Dallas and going back though.

I could carry more weight if I didn't fill the plane with fuel, but for some reason I like some extra fuel over the Gulf:rolleyes:

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
There are six total. My niece went with a friend and her family. They are trying to figure our who will ride back with me. Last thought was three of them and baggage. Could change, but, as you can see, I can't bring them all back in one trip. Haven't ruled out a second sortie, but I'll just have to play it by ear. Why don't you send me your cell number in case I do a round trip. I'm afraid if I do that, I'd just go to Corpus and turn around rather than coming to Dallas and going back though.

I could carry more weight if I didn't fill the plane with fuel, but for some reason I like some extra fuel over the Gulf:rolleyes:

Dave

Take food and water for those you leave behind....

FWIW I hear that the bus ride from Cancun to Merida ( A beautiful town by the way) is taking anywhere from 7-14 hours depending upon road conditions, traffic and military activity. Before going make sure they have secured reliable transport to Merida. I hear a cab ride to the Cancun airport from the resort area in Cancun is now $50.00. Dave I wish you and your family well, fly safe.

Dave,

Take Lawyers, Guns and Money! Actually that's a plug for Spike or Adam. Good luck on your mission. I'm sure you'll have a few stories to tell after its over.

Things seem to be coming together this morning.

I flew to Cozumel in July and still have charts. The U.S. State Department Operation Center was a big help. Merida Approach gave me clearance in for tomorrow. The Merida airport operations said I could land. Now, I just need to get my family to get over to Merida. Told them I couldn't sit around on the ground. I'll confirm again before I leave and check on fuel at the airport.

Appreciate your kind thoughts.

Dave

Merida is saying they have 100LL per Armando. I'll check again before I leave, but sounds like a go. Probably fly to Galveston; top off, then launch out over the Gulf to Merida. I'll check again to see if Cancun is an option and to see if my family can get ground transport. Guess we'll see!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Water check; what do you recommend for food?

Canned fruit, canned or pouched tuna fish, bread, peanut butter and maybe even canned chili for healthy eating.

For not so healthy eating cookies, chips & salsa, and any other "junk" food that you can think of that will not take up too much room.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Canned fruit, canned or pouched tuna fish, bread, peanut butter and maybe even canned chili for healthy eating.

For not so healthy eating cookies, chips & salsa, and any other "junk" food that you can think of that will not take up too much room.

Thanks!! We'll try to stop at the store tonight!

Be VERY CAREFUL with your personal security and the security of your aircraft. According to the newspapers, people are desperate to get out of there, and seeing your bird show up suddenly... well no telling what they might do. Minimize ground time. Tell your relatives to keep their mouths shut about their plans.

-Skip

Godspeed and fair winds on the mission. If my partner and I weren't so far away up here in WA, we'd fly out behind you and help get the family members that you couldn't carry. But, due to distance and circumstances, we'll give you the next best thing of prayers and good wishes. Tell the family hello for us.

HPNFlyGirl said:

And don't forget the can opener!!!!

Take all the food you can carry... It's nice to share with any of those who can't get out, be they family, friends or strangers.

Missa

Skip Miller said:
Be VERY CAREFUL with your personal security and the security of your aircraft. According to the newspapers, people are desperate to get out of there, and seeing your bird show up suddenly... well no telling what they might do. Minimize ground time. Tell your relatives to keep their mouths shut about their plans.

-Skip

Thanks Skip:

Where we are planning on going is a large, controlled airport with a lot of traffic. I've called them and they have little damage. If we were going into an uncontrolled airport, closer to the damaged area, we'd be more concerned. Still, what you say is our SOP. Keep quiet and get out!! I told them I must have confirmation they are there and waiting before I come. Don't want to land and become another party stranded down there.

TDKendall said:
Godspeed and fair winds on the mission. If my partner and I weren't so far away up here in WA, we'd fly out behind you and help get the family members that you couldn't carry. But, due to distance and circumstances, we'll give you the next best thing of prayers and good wishes. Tell the family hello for us.

Thanks for your kind words and good wishes.

Missa said:
And don't forget the can opener!!!!

Take all the food you can carry... It's nice to share with any of those who can't get out, be they family, friends or strangers.

Missa

My nieces have said food and water haven't been an issue. Hygene is and sleeping outside. I've asked both airport operations and my niece what to bring. The airport said they are out of the damage area and don't need anything. I'll see what Miss Lindsay says.

Good trip, and good luck, Dave.

Isn't it great to have a plane that capable to make the trip?

Good Luck on the trip Dave!!

It is awesome of you to fly down there and help out like that.

Good luck again,

wsuffa said:
Good trip, and good luck, Dave.

Isn't it great to have a plane that capable to make the trip?

Yes Bill, I do love this plane. The A-36 was also capable, but I sure like the second burner over the Gulf for three hours!!

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks Paul

Are you over the head cold, Dave? You might consider stopping in Corpus on the way DOWN and topping the tanks before making the Gulf run, if there's any concern about getting fuel in Mexico.

I've called twice and been assured 100LL is available. It's a little over and hour to Corpus from here. Three hours to Merida from there. I have six hours of fuel if I only have to climb to altitude once. I'm thinking I'll fly straight there. Come back and clear customs at Corpus. If fuel is an issue, I'd still have enough to hop over to one or two other inland airports. Looks like a tail wind going. Will definitely need fuel to come back into the headwind. Three hours over water (no wind).

Dave

Looks as if I may be going in the A-36. The work on the Baron isn't completed yet.

My niece called and there is a big meeting in Cancun tomorrow with Delta reps to see how to get all the folks out that are trying to leave. She wants to go to that, then, will call me to see if I need to come.

So, I'm on flying Uncle double standby (also supposed to go to Wisconsin if not Mexico).

Dave

Dave;

Have a safe flight.

I wish I could help out as many do. For food I carry MRE's(YuK) and lots of water. The MRE's give lots of energy and we know lots of water is so important.

I wish you and your family the best.

John

I wish I could go along as well, either in your plane or flying alongside in mine, but I don't thing that's in the cards. Have a nice safe flight. Is it legal to go armed? I'm thinking a Taser might come in handy.

Thanks guys. It's very nice to know y'all would help if you could. Don't consider yourselves off the hook completely yet; if I get stuck down there I may actually need some help. ;)

I don't know about a Taser; of course, fire arms and even ammunition are illegal. Guy down here got jailed for having some live rounds in his pick up in Mexico. Took more than a year to get him back in the States and he lost his concealed carry permit here because he was a convicted felon.

I'll probably stop in Galveston and top the tanks. Then, fly a little slower to stretch the fuel in case I have to come back on what's in the plane. A friend recommended carrying some 5 gallon fuel cans in the plane. I'm not comfortable with that. It sure would be better to be taking the Baron. But, I'll go in what's available.

Dave

So, one wonders, did Dave go?

Lets all load up our planes and get the Sicilianos out of Mexico!
Mine can go non-stop fr the border I think.

Well. Just noticed the thread. Hopefully it worked out .

Back