Flight to Merida

Let'sgoflying! said:
Lets all load up our planes and get the Sicilianos out of Mexico!
Mine can go non-stop fr the border I think.
You think??? You better know. I know that's not what you meant, I think.

Richard said:
You think???

The rules clearly state you can do that, when you shooting from the hip, after a hard day and a couple glasses of wine!

I'm back!!

Yes, I did go; quite the adventure.

The Baron was still down for some repairs we had scheduled. Parts issue but mostly the mechanic working on it does it on the side and his daytime employer had a jet break in San Antonio; so, he was down there for over a week.

I'll try to put some thoughts together. Had a bad feeling a couple times on the trip, but got everything worked out.

When my niece got there (late), it was all worth it. She was just crying when she saw me. Some of the security folks there we upset until the found out it was a happy cry.

Coming home at night over the Gulf for over three hours did have me worried. I tried not to show it, but she picked up that I was watching things closely. We came back at 12,000 because the winds were against us. Merida Approach lost contact with us before they gave us a frequency for Houston Center. It lead to us being nordo much longer than normal. We finally found them thanks to and up-to-date GPS database, but different frequency than we were on going out. It was WONDERFUL hearing from Houston!!

Customs hassled us after we filed an ADCUS flight plan and Mongomery Flight Service called ahead when we were two hours out. They claimed no one gave them notice and theatened to fine me $5,000. They finally settled down a little when I produced a copy of my flight plan and explained (to a degree) what efforts we made. The officer didn't want to hear much; just dump on me for not calling myself in person.

We got back in Dallas about 0400 this morning, went straight to bed. We'll probably fly back to Wisconsin this afternoon. I'll be able to get back on here after that and 'xplain things more.

Dave

Last edited:
Happy it worked out for you.

They are lucky to have you

Called the super at Montgomery FSS to relate what happened to her. Explained what happened to me; didn't want to get anyone in trouble, but this could cause someone to be fined, plane seached, etc.

She said she'd review the tapes and get back with me. It would be great if we could find out who they spoke with and it turned out to be internal communications at customs, rather than FSS dropping the ball. We'll see.

Got to say, this ADCUS system for Customs ain't working. Can't always call. In this case, when the FBO closes there is not way to call America and tell Customs personally you are coming. My cell didn't work there. Pay phones needed a card and the circumstances didn't allow a lot of pre-arranging of things.

We're getting organized to get back in the plane now and head to Wisconsin. Once settled, I'll be able to get back on the Board more.

Dave

Dave,

Glad you and yours are safe and the plane is in one piece and you're not out $5K! Jeez!

Glad everything ended up alright Dave!!

Dave,

Glad the trip worked out OK. My experience is that US Customs is one of the worst to deal with. Given the problems - and the issues that Bruce had, it makes me very, very reluctant to take my plane out of the country.

Hey guys, we got into Portage about 6 tonight. Thought I'd have time to get on board and go over some of the interesting things that happened on the trip, but my niece has a large family and there was a throng of folks at the airport. Very heart warming. Of course, after just hugs, everyone wanted to hear what happened to her and about how we got together and got her out.

Didn't realize it, but she had been in Mexico two weeks today. It was supposed to be a shot trip for a wedding. What a change in events. They were in shelters four days; could not leave. During the passage of the hurricane, they let them walk outside as the eye passed over. Then, back in. Day before yesterday, they put them back in their hotel rooms. Marshall law; so, they had to be in at night. Her friends are still there (we found out tonight talking to their family).

The family all got together tonight and had a large dinner. Listened to Lindsay relay several things that happened and shed a lot of tears.

A lot could have gone wrong with this trip. At first I told Lindsay I wouldn't come down until she was at the airport because I couldn't take the risk I would get there, and she wouldn't be there. In the end, she called when she was getting on a bus to the airport from Cancun. The bus was stopped and searched; she was very late. In the end, we linked up as the FBO was closing and launched for the States at 9:00 at night. No horizon whatsoever. We came back at 12,000 because the winds were against us and higher meant stronger winds. After trying to look out for a time and seeing nothing, we turned on the interior lights; took out sandwich stuff and ate. She hadn't eaten that day.

Continued

Last edited:
She sensed my tenseness as we flew back, but neither of us spoke of it.

Merida Center did not hand us off to Houston properly, and we had no radio communication for about an hour and a half over the water. When we finally were able to reach Houston, the voice on the other end was very welcome. Said he asked several jets to relay to us, but not on the frequency we had. I asked if anyone tried 121.5 and he said they didn't. I had monitored it, but not heard a sole on it. To be honest, I never had an emergency. One the one hand, I hoped I could reach someone on there if needbe; OTOH, if I tried it and no one answered, we would know there was no help if we had a problem.

The guy at center chatted with us quite a bit and we told him what we were doing. He talked to Lindsay on the radio quite a bit and asked about her experience. In the course of that, he mentioned he couldn't remember talking to a singe engine plane coming in over the Gulf at 12,000 feet at night; that seemed to make an impression on Lindsay. (Something I had thought about the entire trip!!)

She's a brave girl to have left the tourist area and taken a bus from Play Del Carmen area to Mireda by herself. In the bus station, while she was waiting, someone stole her purse. Luckily, her passport wasn't in it. Some folks she had talked to there paid her bus fare and gave her cab fare from the bus destination to the airport. Had anything gone wrong; she was broke. She did have a passport and some clothes--that's it.

It all worked out well, but could have taken a quick turn for the worse. We're all counting our blessings and just happy we're all home.

Best,

Dave

Wow, what a story, glad you're all back safe, Dave. I don't know that I'd want to cross the Gulf at NIGHT in a SEL airplane, but if I had to do it to save family, I'd be there too.

GOOD JOB. You're a good man, Charlie Brown, and your family is privileged to have you. :yes:

Dave Siciliano said:
She sensed my tenseness as we flew back, but neither of us spoke of it.

Merida Center did not hand us off to Houston properly, and we had no radio communication for about an hour and a half over the water. When we finally were able to reach Houston, the voice on the other end was very welcome. Said he asked several jets to relay to us, but not on the frequency we had. I asked if anyone tried 121.5 and he said they didn't. I had monitored it, but not heard a sole on it. To be honest, I never had an emergency. One the one hand, I hoped I could reach someone on there if needbe; OTOH, if I tried it and no one answered, we would know there was no help if we had a problem.

The guy at center chatted with us quite a bit and we told him what we were doing. He talked to Lindsay on the radio quite a bit and asked about her experience. In the course of that, he mentioned he couldn't remember talking to a singe engine plane coming in over the Gulf at 12,000 feet at night; that seemed to make an impression on Lindsay. (Something I had thought about the entire trip!!)

She's a brave girl to have left the tourist area and taken a bus from Play Del Carmen area to Mireda by herself. In the bus station, while she was waiting, someone stole her purse. Luckily, her passport wasn't in it. Some folks she had talked to there paid her bus fare and gave her cab fare from the bus destination to the airport. Had anything gone wrong; she was broke. She did have a passport and some clothes--that's it.

It all worked out well, but could have taken a quick turn for the worse. We're all counting our blessings and just happy we're all home.

Best,

Dave
Hurray!!! A hero's welcome, eh? An emergency flight into a martial law zone, a black hole departure, headwinds, not at the altitude you'd like, stupid Customs, the trouble your niece found herself in, my gosh, what a story. Anything that would suggest a ASRS report? Don't self report, but how much fuel remaining on your return?

Truly glad you guys made it back.

Dave,
Now that you told the customs story it reminded me that when the FAA set the specs. for the RFP for Flight Service outsourcing they do not include ADCUS. Unless something has changed you can no longer rely on FSS to call customs for you (its not in their job description). Probably most ADCUS requests are being passed on because many the people working for the contractor worked for the FAA and are used to doing it. The customs people, of course, do not realize this and get upset when they are not notified.
Walt

Troy Whistman said:
Wow, what a story, glad you're all back safe, Dave. I don't know that I'd want to cross the Gulf at NIGHT in a SEL airplane, but if I had to do it to save family, I'd be there too.

GOOD JOB. You're a good man, Charlie Brown, and your family is privileged to have you. :yes:

Thanks Troy!!

It was fortuitous. A lot of things could have gone wrong that didn't. I had two dreaded thoughts as I went: one, she didn't get there and I had not way to track her. Two, I found her and something went wrong on the way back. Neither occurred.

Richard said:
Hurray!!! A hero's welcome, eh? An emergency flight into a martial law zone, a black hole departure, headwinds, not at the altitude you'd like, stupid Customs, the trouble your niece found herself in, my gosh, what a story. Anything that would suggest a ASRS report? Don't self report, but how much fuel remaining on your return?

Truly glad you guys made it back.

No real safety issues I can think of. I had enough fuel to fly to Houston for Customs, then fly to Addison with 1+30 left. Had the Fbo in Merida not had fuel ( I had called ahead and been assured they did); that could have caused and issue.

Oh, when talking to Center, he mentioned the day before they had turned several planes back over the water and wouldn't let them land. There were so many planes on the ground, they didn't have room on the ramp for any more!! Now, I had called ahead and talked to the super at Merida Center before launching, but sounds as if I could have been turned back had it been a day earlier anyway!!

Lindsay's biggest worry was she would get to the Merida airport and they wouldn't let me land!!

Dave

Walt said:
Dave,
Now that you told the customs story it reminded me that when the FAA set the specs. for the RFP for Flight Service outsourcing they do not include ADCUS. Unless something has changed you can no longer rely on FSS to call customs for you (its not in their job description). Probably most ADCUS requests are being passed on because many the people working for the contractor worked for the FAA and are used to doing it. The customs people, of course, do not realize this and get upset when they are not notified.
Walt

Haven't heard this Walt, but it wouldn't surprise me. We are running down what occurred. If FSS wouldn't/couldn't do this, they should have reported that back. Not that they had contacted customs and everything was O.K.

Dave

Whew, what an adventure Dave. Lindsay sure is a tough kid to get through all that. Are you hanging around WI this weekend? Has Lindsay had enough flying for a while? I'll bet she was in seventh heaven being back home and able to sleep in her own bed etc. See if you can get her to write a story about her "vacation". I suspect it would interest the local paper or even some in nearby larger markets.

Oh BTW, welcome back!

Yes, welcome back. Your family certainly are fortunate to have you. I think back to a couple trips gone bad when I wish a guy like you were available. Ever have a desire to extract stranded persons from South Africa in cyclone season?

I agree it is a great story and a great outcome.

Please consider co-authoring (with Lindsay) an article for Pilot. I think perspectives from both sides would make the article very interesting. And the challenges and risks that you faced along with how you mitigated them, and ultimately made the go decision, would be a compelling read for Pilot's audience.

Regardless, welcome back and congratulations!

-Skip

lancefisher said:
Whew, what an adventure Dave. Lindsay sure is a tough kid to get through all that. Are you hanging around WI this weekend? Has Lindsay had enough flying for a while? I'll bet she was in seventh heaven being back home and able to sleep in her own bed etc. See if you can get her to write a story about her "vacation". I suspect it would interest the local paper or even some in nearby larger markets.

Oh BTW, welcome back!

Thanks Lance! She is tough and daring in my mind. A lot of folks wouldn't have struck out on their own like that to the airport. Sometimes I worry she's a little too bold ;-).

I was supposed to visit this weekend as you know. My other two nieces really want to spend some time with me; so, we'll probably hit the Madison mall today. Probably head back to Dallas tomorrow.

I'll see if Lindsay will set pen to paper about this.

Richard said:
Yes, welcome back. Your family certainly are fortunate to have you. I think back to a couple trips gone bad when I wish a guy like you were available. Ever have a desire to extract stranded persons from South Africa in cyclone season?

Sorry Richard! I did a lot of being on standby for this flight. Reminded me of all those times in the military of being completely ready to go, and not going many times. South Africa would be quite a trip in an A-36 any time!!

Skip Miller said:
I agree it is a great story and a great outcome.

Please consider co-authoring (with Lindsay) an article for Pilot. I think perspectives from both sides would make the article very interesting. And the challenges and risks that you faced along with how you mitigated them, and ultimately made the go decision, would be a compelling read for Pilot's audience.

Regardless, welcome back and congratulations!

-Skip

Thanks Skip.

It might be interesting for some to see all the planning that went into this. At one point I was speaking with the operations center for the Secretary of State; Mexican and American Embassys; severy Costums offices; Supervisor at Merida Center and Mexican Department of Transportation for clearances; Cancun operations; Merida Operations; Merida FBO, etc. Between the confusion on the ground, language differences and facilities that were overloaded or not working; it was very difficult to get clear guidance and clearances. So, you did all you could, then made a go-no/go decision. Charts expired the day before I left and the new ones hadn't arrived; gps cards needed to be updated. I had everything ready in the Baron because I was promised it would be airworthy; then, had to change all of the above to the A-36.

I couldn't call Lindsay; had to wait for her to get to a internet cafe and call me. Lots of variables.

In general, the Mexican folks I spoke with were wonderful and very helpful within what there could control.

As an aside, we had to land at Houston Hobby to clear customs. We've already chatted about the officers not being happy at not getting the notice they wanted.

I'd never been in Hobby, so filine IFR was a bit of a challenge. I called FSS and filed with a departure and arrival to Addison. Their computer wouldn't take the routing. We had a good laugh because he said something along the lines of you know what route you won't get don't you? I responded with words to the effect of yes, I won't get any route I file. He heartedly agreed!! So, ignoring departure proceedures, we filed direct to a VOR, direct Addison.

One person seemed to be clearance, ground and tower that evening. He was really busy. When I called, he really blurted out the clearance. Having looked at all the DPs and being really motivate to get home, I got everything first time and he seemed surprised. After climbout; departure cut through all the guff and cleared me direct Addison. No DPs or STARs. Don't think that's ever happened to me before!!

One benefit of flying at 3:00 A.M. I guess!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
...I got everything first time and he seemed surprised. After climbout; departure cut through all the guff and cleared me direct Addison. No DPs or STARs. Don't think that's ever happened to me before!!

One benefit of flying at 3:00 A.M. I guess!!

Dave

Sounding and acting like you knew what you were doing probably helped as well.

Well, things seem to be back to normal! The girls went shopping, are swimming and we're going to the show. Lindsay has disappeared with friends and it's like nothing ever happened!!

The ultimate complement.

Dave

Wow Dave you MUST be exhausted. good Job and I second Skips suggestion. Please do a write up for Pilot!

Thanks Adam. I'll try to follow up with Skip. Talked to Lindsay about it this evening. She said she'll send me something on her side of things. We'll see.

I'll see if I can organize my thoughts and put something together. I'll need a good editor. Writing skills for publication are not my strong point. My past article for American Bonanza Society Mag was assisted by a great staff editor!! All they changed was the order of a few words and cleaned up some grammar, but it was more polished than what I would produce myself.

If y'all truly feel it could assist others, I'll focus on it.

Dave

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks Adam. I'll try to follow up with Skip.
I'll be glad to help if I can, but please understand that I have no professional qualifications nor experience with articles. I just thought that it would be an interesting article that most would enjoy, and many could learn from.

First step: Save what you wrote here, don't let it scroll off into the bit-bucket.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
I'll be glad to help if I can, but please understand that I have no professional qualifications nor experience with articles. I just thought that it would be an interesting article that most would enjoy, and many could learn from.

First step: Save what you wrote here, don't let it scroll off into the bit-bucket.

-Skip

O.K. Skip. Thought you perhaps had some relationship with that Mag. I have written for ABS and had been approached by another, but I'm not a write a column guy; just special occassions. We'll see where it goes.

Well, the Walther Mitty advernture is over. Niece is home with her family trying to cancel credit cards and replace identification. She was to begin a new job and obviously couldn't. She's behind two weeks in school.

Had some things happen here at my buisness I need to get patched up.

Plane is hangered. Stuff is out and packed in the car.

Back to plain old business guy. Putting super uncle cape back in the closet!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, the Walther Mitty advernture is over. Niece is home with her family trying to cancel credit cards and replace identification. She was to begin a new job and obviously couldn't. She's behind two weeks in school.

Dave
I can see it now, Monday morning standing around at the water cooler, "What did you do on your wknd?"

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave

I think we'll have to start calling you SUPER Dave! Maybe we can get Chuck to modify your moniker.:D I suppose now that you're back and don't need it, the Baron is ready to fly?

The Baron is put back together. Couldn't do a ground test yesterday as the weather was too turbulent--hail in the forecast. Trying to do the ground run up today.

BTW, several of us Baron guys on the Bonanza net are going to SimCom first of April for a special advanced sim program. Lots of emergency work and special work that was designed by us. Some may stay an extra day to get the BFR and IPC. If you have any interest in coming, let me know. Will probably limit it to ten participants--we may be close to that now; would have to check.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
The Baron is put back together. Couldn't do a ground test yesterday as the weather was too turbulent--hail in the forecast. Trying to do the ground run up today.

BTW, several of us Baron guys on the Bonanza net are going to SimCom first of April for a special advanced sim program. Lots of emergency work and special work that was designed by us. Some may stay an extra day to get the BFR and IPC. If you have any interest in coming, let me know. Will probably limit it to ten participants--we may be close to that now; would have to check.

Dave

What would the course price be? I've been planning to try RTC one of these days but never seem to find the right time. SimCom always seemed to be almost double the cost. Also AFaIK RTC has a B55/pre 1984 B58 setup with the throttles and gear/flaps switches where I'm used to. Does SimCom have a similar offering?

Lance:

It was $1,100 for three days there with a course we designed ourselves. Of course, meals, hotel, etc. were extra. If one wanted a BFR or IPC, there could be an additional charge. It's full now.

We could wait list you; be hard to believe one or two folks won't be able to make it.

Fred Scott has organized this in the past. Neat guy that has had several Beechcraft including a P-Baron. Lots of emergency work in simulated instrument conditions.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Lance:

It was $1,100 for three days there with a course we designed ourselves. Of course, meals, hotel, etc. were extra. If one wanted a BFR or IPC, there could be an additional charge. It's full now.

We could wait list you; be hard to believe one or two folks won't be able to make it.

Fred Scott has organized this in the past. Neat guy that has had several Beechcraft including a P-Baron. Lots of emergency work in simulated instrument conditions.

That sounds pretty attractive. Which SimCom facility are you going to?

Dave Siciliano said:
Orlando!! (The Mickey Mouse Facility :rolleyes:)

Dave

I put it on my calendar and I see no schedule conflicts now. It would be enjoyable to take part in the training with you. The price you posted is less than half the published SimCom rate and I know they offer excellent training. AFaIK Orlando is where they offer the older B55/58 panel setup. I could also bring along my ski and get in some much needed springtime practice after class.

lancefisher said:
I put it on my calendar and I see no schedule conflicts now. It would be enjoyable to take part in the training with you. The price you posted is less than half the published SimCom rate and I know they offer excellent training. AFaIK Orlando is where they offer the older B55/58 panel setup. I could also bring along my ski and get in some much needed springtime practice after class.

Let me know for sure if you want to get on the list. We reserved for ten and now have eleven. So, if really interested, we need to get you on the wait list.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Let me know for sure if you want to get on the list. We reserved for ten and now have eleven. So, if really interested, we need to get you on the wait list.

Dave

Go ahead and put me on. I'd like to go and there's nothing else on my schedule that week.

Back