Flight Timers

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
Transponder timer mode.

Count up - so when you need to extend or shorten the leg for wind you don't have to keep resetting. Just re-zero and start.

I am working on my instrument rating and have been using the timers built into WingX to performed my timed turns and etc. I have managed to get by but it is a bit cumbersome. What are you guys using for timing? I was looking at the ASA timer on amazon.com but was unsure if it would be worth the cost. See link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E6GV2U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ADLJ1WDSSUUMG&psc=1

So, what are your suggestions?

So I bought the ASA timer for my IR. It’s okay...problem is if you mount it on a kneeboard your always hitting the knob and resetting stuff. Mounting it on the panel wasn’t an option as it is a bit big and it is shaped a little weird. But idk it might work well for you.

My solution was this guy which worked amazing and it is cheap:

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/flightdatafc50.php

I already have a GT50 in my airplane. I have it in the OAT mode and forget about it as a timer. I'll be using it next flight. I also have a GTX345 with timer functions. I need to pull the manual and try them as well.

I had that timer... it worked for a few years until, well, it stopped working. Kinda pricey for a timer. Turned out most of the features were bloat.

In my experience you need only one function (other than, possibly, a clock) on such a device: a chronometer which you can start, stop, and clear. Ad nauseum.

On the ASA flight timer you shared, the countdown timer (which you can set), fuel timers, etc., were all features that basically went unused after one or two stabs at it. We're not timing approaches nearly as much these days, anyway.

For that reason I'd recommend a cheap digital timer. You can find scads of them on amazon.com.

Good luck,

Transponder timer mode.

Count up - so when you need to extend or shorten the leg for wind you don't have to keep resetting. Just re-zero and start.

That.

But in the wild, minus timing the flight for log books, you really don't use a timer for much if you're /G

Last edited:
I just use the second hand of the clock in the yoke. I just repeat out loud where it is at the beginning.

So I bought the ASA timer for my IR. It’s okay...problem is if you mount it on a kneeboard your always hitting the knob and resetting stuff. Mounting it on the panel wasn’t an option as it is a bit big and it is shaped a little weird. But idk it might work well for you.

My solution was this guy which worked amazing and it is cheap:

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/flightdatafc50.php

$169 is cheap? Maybe in aircraft terms, maybe you're right.

If you happen to have one, there are several good timer apps for the Apple Watch. I find a tap on my wrist to be easier than most of the alternatives. Most can vibrate at whatever interval, and a few can count up/down audibly so you don’t need to stare at a clock face.

Analogue clock in panel. I used to just use my watch. Jot down the time on a note pad for timed approaches.

$169 is cheap? Maybe in aircraft terms, maybe you're right.

I thought it was compared to all the other in panel clocks. Especially with all the additional functions I thought it was actually quite reasonable

side note: I believe a timer with second hand - panel mounted, is required for IFR, and something your examiner may check on your exam.
Now is a good time to get your plan in place.

Wow. Something so simple and y'all are making it complicated, and unnecessarily expensive.

I thought it was compared to all the other in panel clocks. Especially with all the additional functions I thought it was actually quite reasonable

My apologies C, I didn't realize that it was a panel mounted clock.

side note: I believe a timer with second hand - panel mounted, is required for IFR, and something your examiner may check on your exam.
Now is a good time to get your plan in place.
Note you're required to have a clock (with second hand) or timer in the plane. You're not obliged to use it.

Note panel mount or otherwise, you better make sure it's accurate. Some of the kitchen timers have a bad habit of running slow when the batteries start to go dead. One would thought an approved panel mount timer wouldn't have that problem, but unfortuantely the POS ashtech in my airplane has exactly that problem. Found this out when my instrument instructor was telling me I was overshooting my timed turns by a substantial amount. I just use my watch now. I know that's accurate.

I believe a timer with second hand - panel mounted, is required for IFR
Yes, part of the IFR check when you are taxiing out. 91.205 requires either a digital clock or sweeping second hand.

Go to Marshall’s or Target and get a cheap kitchen timer for like $5
I've seen a lot of planes with the official clock in the panel, then also a small $5 kitchen timer. I also have a backup sports timer. Very easy to rezero those

*I prefer the digital clocks to be honest, some VOR A (or other) approaches will give you "2 minutes and 12 seconds" for the MAP.. that's just easier to do on a digital clock. Tap the start when you pass the FAF, keep speed at 90, and boom it's that easy

In training, I used the G1000's built-in timer on the PFD. Today I use my EFB's timer (Garmin Pilot in my case) on my tablet, when I have to time something which ain't often.

I already have a GT50 in my airplane. I have it in the OAT mode and forget about it as a timer. I'll be using it next flight. I also have a GTX345 with timer functions. I need to pull the manual and try them as well.

Wow lol yea you should be using the GT50 then! Works perfect! I have an old Narco transponder with Mechanical knobs so no timer on my transponder ha

I don't know whats in my panel but it's some digital deal with a switch. I push it down it starts counting up from zero, hit it again it resets and starts again. Extremely easy... but rarely do I time anything, except for IPCs.

Most of the garmin transponders have a timer function.

Back