Flight Instructor Christmas Ideas

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
I was thinking of getting my instructor a gift for Christmas, what are some ideas?

Thanks
E

Climbto350.com subscription.

Gift card to a local restaurant.

Instrument covers decorated with appropriate bling bling.

A good bottle of bourbon or a nice gift card.

Climbto350.com subscription.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I was instructing, I received a home cooked meal, a bottle of wine, a bottle of whisky, some home made corn squeezin's (it was West Virginia) and a few gift cards for the new Cracker Barrel. All really appreciated.

One student, (older than me female, and Christmas was 7 days after she passed her instrument checkride) gave me something else that really warmed me up.

She filled up my propane tanks for my Rv. Her husband owned the local propane and propane accessories dealership.

The best gift for your instructor? Pass the practical test on the first try :)

For the CFI who's airline bound, don't get them 1) anything aviation gadget related (they already have what they need) 2) anything trinket like that they have to carry around with them--figure they'll be living light and more "stuff" either gets lugged around or tossed; 3) or booze, unless you already know what they drink.

Honestly, cash is best, an Amazon GC is pretty nice too, and a restaurant GC is cool too. Sometimes it's nice just to send some food to the staff, especially if other staff, instructors, etc. have been helpful.

Another nice gift to your instructor--a comprehensive write-up of the checkride. That's always handy for his next student and gives the instructor a heads up on any of the DPE's favorite areas.

If your CFI has ever rummaged around the cockpit for something to cover your vacuum instruments, the little black suction cup instruments cups might come to mind. But, I already gave a couple of those to a CFII who always forgets them and ends up using whatever's at hand anyway. I think a Sporty's or Amazon.com gift card might be the way to go.

[QUOTEOne student, (older than me female, and Christmas was 7 days after she passed her instrument checkride) gave me something else that really warmed me up.[/QUOTE]

Totally thought this was going another direction...

Wish I was your instructor!

:yes: My instructor and I share a love for Islay whisky, especially Ardbeg and Laphroaig. We haven't had a dram together, yet, though.... I'm saving that moment for after I pass my check ride.

I've never heard of a CFI that doesn't drink.

Psh, after every passed check ride my instructor tells me he owes me a drink. He owes me 4 drinks now. I think I'll just tell him we're even :p

I give my CFI cash after each flight. I figure that is good enough.

Cash is soooooooooooooooooo old school. Nowadays you should give your CFI a brand new Apple iPhone 6S Plus with Apply pay enabled a pre-loaded credit card loaded to the Apple Pay. :D

Definitely skip the Sporty's gift card unless you have reason to believe your instructor is pining for one of these...

OMG does anyone really own one of those? I am thinking if this item is needed, then someone else should be flying the plane....:lol:

OMG does anyone really own one of those? I am thinking if this item is needed, then someone else should be flying the plane....:lol:

Apparently so, there were 29 reviews, like: "Poor manufacturing but I will still recommend it. It takes the guess work out of the traffic pattern." I never realized pattern entry involved guesswork.

Definitely skip the Sporty's gift card unless you have reason to believe your instructor is pining for one of these...

Those landing calculators are for the Cirrus drivers! Sorry 6PC! :D

I agree, DO NOT get a Sporty's gift certificate. I am sitting on one right now I have had for 3 months because they have nothing I want.

David

Those landing calculators are for the Cirrus drivers! Sorry 6PC! :D

I agree, DO NOT get a Sporty's gift certificate. I am sitting on one right now I have had for 3 months because they have nothing I want.

David
I agree. I wouldn't want anything aviation related. Gift cards to a restaurant or bar is always a good idea.

Buying aviation stuff for a CFI for Christmas is about as nice as buying a IT professional some tech product, as if they don't already know about it and have their own setup and systems humming along the way they like them. Or even better, buying yourself a computer because the IT person in the family will just love spending the rest of Christmas Day setting it up for you because they "just love that stuff".

Back