Flight Bags

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Well, not exactly sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes, anyway...

I'm still a student pilot, but am starting to bring enough stuff with me on my flights to where its starting to get a bit annoying carrying everything by hand. I've searched google for a flight bag, but the options seem to be endless.

So I come to you, fine people, for guidance...any suggestions on a fairly cheap flight bag, and where to get it? My headset has a case, and it would be nice to be able to either fit that case into the bag, or clip it on. Other than that, I have a kneeboard and misc charts, pens, notepad paper, flashlights, flight computer, etc....

Any suggestions? Thanks all!!

Steal one of your kid's old school backpacks. Once you have a license we'll tell you where the metal flight bag choosing device is kept. Then you can be cool like everyone else.

I used my headset bag and a backpack or a small duffel. I don't understand the fuss for a special/overpriced flight bag.

This is what I use for my flight bag

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

It's built FAR better than anything brightline has ever made, its also the perfect size.

On the size note, I only bring that bag with me when I'm flying cross country (over 700nm).

You'll notice that the only people who carry huge flight bags tend to have smaller log books.

As a working pilot, wheb I fly I grab my headset (no case), wallet (w/ medical and licenses) a d my ipad mini which also has a small legal pad on it, and that's for hard IFR, often night ops. For flying my personal plane VFR, I leave the notepad/ipad at home.

As a student pilot you also will need your logbook, however you really don't need anything else, maybe a headlight in your pocket, for night, if you don't keep one in the plane you're flying

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I got one of these for $20.

Fits my headset, kneeboard, headlamp, spare batteries, water bottle, pens, a gallon ziploc with some nitrile gloves and paper towels, and a leatherman.

You can also put an embroidered velcro name tape on it, which is second only to epaulettes in coolness.

Well, not exactly sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes, anyway...

I'm still a student pilot, but am starting to bring enough stuff with me on my flights to where its starting to get a bit annoying carrying everything by hand. I've searched google for a flight bag, but the options seem to be endless.

So I come to you, fine people, for guidance...any suggestions on a fairly cheap flight bag, and where to get it? My headset has a case, and it would be nice to be able to either fit that case into the bag, or clip it on. Other than that, I have a kneeboard and misc charts, pens, notepad paper, flashlights, flight computer, etc....

Any suggestions? Thanks all!!

Cheap backpack, spend the money on lessons. You're not trying to impress anyone.

I started wit a cheap AOPA free Cary bag that came with a membership then upgraded to a $10 tjmax duffle bag during my private knowing I didn't know what I needed. Then after flying for a year I finally figured out what I was going to carry.

So my suggestion is start simple and cheap...then figure out though flight experience what you need.

I ultimately ended up with a bright line bag that I can expand for longer cross country trips and remove parts for simple day to day trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have the medium Sportys bag and I use the free AOPA bag for training books. I think the bag was $50.

I just go to WalMart and get the cheapest roller carry on. When it goes bad I go get another one. My wife says it makes me look like a passenger, not the pilot...:dunno: :rofl:

Cheap backpack, spend the money on lessons. You're not trying to impress anyone.

I found a good $35 computer backpack at Walmart that's perfect for holding all I need. That includes everything you might take on a Brightline bag.

Headsets, iPads, FAA books, headsets, kneeboard, pens, pencils, notepads, and more.

I agree that I. This area, economy is as cool as the $85+ gadget bag.

I don't carry a lot of stuff with me and I am not a renter so I leave the headsets in the plane.

What I carry is my camera bag and it has a pocket for my iPad.
I have a kneeboard in the plane and I bring a blank sheet of paper and a pen.

Early on, I carried a bunch of stuff with me but quickly learned the only thing I used a lot was my camera and iPad and paper.

I'm still using a cheap backpack, which does have a few pockets. i lust for some of the medium sized bags, but still think they're over priced.

of course, this is me who bought a Bose A20. Men can be so cheap at times.

I used my headset bag and a backpack or a small duffel. I don't understand the fuss for a special/overpriced flight bag.

:yeahthat:

One of my co-workers has a brightline and he doesn't use half the compartments in it. I don't like having a single shoulder strap bag when I carry a lot of stuff with me so I use a backpack.

I bought a Flight Gear navigator? for $60 on sale, has enough pockets including headset and iPad pockets, but still a nice large space for bulky items, I used a backpack for a while but found fishing for items buried deep a bit of a pain, the square type bags are easier in this regard.

Rather than getting a bag to carry your stuff, I'd suggest losing the stuff.

Rather than getting a bag to carry your stuff, I'd suggest losing the stuff.

I carry headset, creds, keys, ipad & 12v power adapter, reading glasses, sunglasses, water bottle, flashlight, old charts to backup iPad, snacks, change of clothes in case I have to stop. All required, But I could leave some stuff in the plane,

Steal one of your kid's old school backpacks. Once you have a license we'll tell you where the metal flight bag choosing device is kept. Then you can be cool like everyone else.

:yeahthat:

Spend the money you save on avgas. My $5 WalMart pack has lasted about 10 years.

I carry headset, creds, keys, ipad & 12v power adapter, reading glasses, sunglasses, water bottle, flashlight, old charts to backup iPad, snacks, change of clothes in case I have to stop. All required, But I could leave some stuff in the plane,
half that stuff isn't needed. Most all of it could be left in the plane.

we don't even take the kids booster seats out of the plane, the plane has its own (mainly because i don't want that disgusting seat from my wife's car in my plane)

Steal one of your kid's old school backpacks.
No kids, but after trying a number of "dedicated" flight bags through the years, a pretty standard backpack is what I use. The biggest concession to "flying" it has is the padded laptop sleeve for my iPad.

half that stuff isn't needed. Most all of it could be left in the plane.

we don't even take the kids booster seats out of the plane, the plane has its own (mainly because i don't want that disgusting seat from my wife's car in my plane)
Ah! The advantage of ownership. :yes:

the flightgear mission bag is awesome. you can carry your log books, heads sets, kneedpad, charts, lunch?, flashlight, etc in a very organized way. I find the size and build perfect. my first and last bag, otherwise i would just use a regular back pack or courier bag.

I've got a Sporty's bag that I picked up in 2000 when I was a student pilot. Headset pockets at each end. Yeah, there's stuff in there I don't need, but the binders with the Jepp plates for the northwest eat up a fair amount of the interior space. Charts fit nicely in one of the outside pockets, other "junk" in the other outside pocket on that side. Hand held radio, ELT, etc inside. Could I get by with a backpack? Probably. But, I've had this bag for 14 years and it's holding up fine, so why change?

As an aside to this topic, I was laughing at myself that I "cheaped" out and have a sub$50 bag, but carry nearly $3000 of goodies in it (replacement value)

IPad mini retina 128gb, iPad3 maxi, Zulu.2 headset, misc. supplies....

We pilots are funny folk. Willing to spend big bucks on some items, and Scrooge McDuck on others.

If you ever get to the point where you need to carry the esentials and your headset bag, look at these bags. They are fantastic. I carry my headset, spare batteries, a kneeboard, charts, and a few other essentials. I call it my grab bag when I go fly with people. If I need more, a small auxillary bag is all I need to carry since this one has all of my essential stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVQXG4Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A1WP1k01WGL._SL1500_.jpg

Damn you guys carry a bunch of useless (IMO) stuff.

I use to slog around a big goofy bag, but these days it's just a headset bag for me. Fits my headset, a few pens, a small notepad, and a flashlight.

Threw away the knee board years back and either just have a pax hold my iPad during critical phases of flight or slide it into the map pocket.

Back