Flew through some clouds today

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
By myself... legally.

Passed my instrument checkride this morning! Examiner said I did a great job. Will get back with more of a checkride story later :)

great news, congratulations!

Checkride was set for 8am this morning at an airport 25 minutes from home base. I woke up at 5:30 which normally would not be too bad (usually awake by 6:30 on a work week) except the time change really killed me this morning. I feel like a zombie right now.

Got to my home airport which is 30 minutes from my house, double checked I had all of my logs and crap together and went to pre-flight the airplane. It was frosty. 32 degrees at the airport. I doused the wings with lukewarm water and got things rolling. On climbout, when I hit about 500 AGL the inside of the airplane fogged up almost instantly. I could only see through two small patches on the windscreen made by the defrost vents. I switched on the OAT gauge and it was over 50 degrees at 500 agl! and humid too - the air was thick.

The airplane dried out as I climbed up a bit and I made it to burlington airport to meet the examiner just in the nick of time - 8:02 AM. The frost removal and my sluggishness getting out of bed this morning destroyed my plans of getting there early.

Like a dummy I forgot my IACRA password and had to reset it. This did not take long however and the examiner was only mildly annoyed.

Next was the review of required flight time and the collection of examiner's fee. I brought cash and I think this made up for my stupid IACRA trick. One friend of mine who is a corporate pilot and CFII told me to dress nice and bring cash. Good advice :)

Review of flight logs went fine - the examiner was a little surprised that my airplane has over 10,000 hours and was a careful going through the logs. I have reviewed them previously and was able to show that the annual, and all AD's had been complied with, as well as finding the latest weight and balance stuff etc...

Next was the oral. Started out with my "planned" flight from KBUY to KCVG. I explained that we needed a fuel stop - explained why we did not need an alternate, and she asked a few questions about the route - I had to explain MEA, OROCA, what arrows indicate DME fixes and radial intersection fixes. Went over some weather stuff, looked at a radar summary chart, some icing stuff. SIGMETS, AIRMETS. The oral went well overall - she only noted 3 things that I missed. One of them was a METAR code "NSW" which I had no clue. It means no significant weather.

I was given the approaches up front - the first was a VOR approach - circle to land at a nearby podunk airport. The next two were a LOC and an ILS into burlington.

I fired up, went through the checklist and then took off for the VOR which I was cleared. I was instructed to climb to 3000, level off and then we'd put the hood on and do unusual attitudes. No sweat there. As we approached the VOR she told me this was going to be a partial panel approach and covered my AI and DG. I nailed the partial panel approach. Don't think I could have done it much better with the gyros.

I set up for a circle to land, and when I was on base and looking good for a landing she told me to go fly the published miss.

Hood went back on, I climbed to 3000 and was back on the correct radial for the missed, which includes a hold over a VOR. As I was about 5-6 miles out from the VOR, tracking the radial nicely she asked a few pointed questions about the hold. "What type of entry?" "How are you going to accomplish that?" she asked. I responded "Direct entry, when I get to the VOR I am going to make a standard rate turn to the right, heading 056" She asked if I was sure. At this point I was thinking oh **** - but I glanced down at my plate and told her I was sure. She said "ok, you've just completed the holding requirement".

She gave me vectors to the localizer and I got on course. I made a big boo boo here - got about 120feet below assigned altitude before I realized it. She was talking to me about some old lady who runs a store or something - and I got distracted. I noticed before she said anything, gave it some throttle and said "i'm a bit low, climbing back to 2800 feet". She didn't say anything or write anything down, so I breathed a sigh of relief.

The approach went well, and I got vectors back out to run down the same approach but this time using it as an ILS. I am the king of ILS's and at this point I am realizing I just might pass. I start grinning like an idiot - I probably looked like one too with foggles on. I had to tell myself I was not out of the woods yet when I started drifting off course from a vector I was given. The ILS was okay - I've flown better ones but this was definitely acceptable. I landed with an 8kt quartering tailwind (long rwy - she instructed me to do this instead of circle) which kinda sucks in a 152 - but it worked out just fine.

After I shut down I got a handshake and she told me to let my instructor know that I did an excellent job! Then we went inside and she made me look up some of the questions I missed while she did the paperwork.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I am REALLY glad to have this rating! It took a lot of hard work - and I still have a lot to experience. I am hoping to fly with my lear captain friend some more in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Congrats and thanks for the write-up. I'm slowly picking away at an IR, so it was helpful to read your experience with the examiner.

Was that Zenda? KBUY is my home field...She's a great DPE! Did my private and IR with her, and felt like I learned a lot.

Great job!!

When did they drop the NDB requirement??:sad:

I know, I know...progress..

not sure how long it has been since NDB approaches were specifically required for an instrument checkride, but the current PTS requires 2 non precision approaches. VOR, LOC, GPS, or NDB approaches are all good options

Was that Zenda? KBUY is my home field...She's a great DPE! Did my private and IR with her, and felt like I learned a lot.

Yup, it was Zenda. I did my private with her as well. I'm based at TTA

I think she is a good DPE... she asked a lot of good questions and I learned a thing or two as well.

not sure how long it has been since NDB approaches were specifically required for an instrument checkride, but the current PTS requires 2 non precision approaches. VOR, LOC, GPS, or NDB approaches are all good options

I took my IR checkride in 1980, so I'm guessing it was some time after that..:lol:

Congrats and thanks for the write-up. I'm slowly picking away at an IR, so it was helpful to read your experience with the examiner.

It took me 36 hrs in an airplane and 5 in the sim over 7 months.

A few others in my flying club had been on instrument rides with this examiner before. Their write ups were helpful!

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever paid attention to this section, but saw your screen name...congrats on the checkride! That's one rating I don't think I'm smart enough to get. :)

Don't think I've ever paid attention to this section, but saw your screen name...congrats on the checkride! That's one rating I don't think I'm smart enough to get. :)

If you can teach me to land a cub I think you can handle the instrument rating. Problem is that after flying the hell out of a Pitts, putting on foggles and flying a piper warrior or C172 around at 110kts and making standard rate turns is going to seem pretty lame!

i'm going to e-mail craig and ask about the cub.. have not heard from him in over 2 weeks. Now that the IR is done I have way more time / $$. Would love to get the tailwheel thing down.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!! Hope to take mine soon. I've been obsessing over the +100 -0 requirement. Sounds like you get the benefit of the doubt as long as you take action to correct. In real life though I could see where you don't want to be drifting low.

Always happy to congratulate anyone getting his/her IFR. Great work!

Thanks!

Unfortunately no great opportunities to use the ticket yet. I did get about .4 actual the other day but it was at altitude and I was bothering the controller with climbs and descents to try and stay in the clouds! Still was nice to get time in the clouds with no instructor :)

Making 355 mi IFR x/c from Raleigh, NC to Nashville, TN tomorrow, and back on sunday. Hope there are some clouds to fly through, though based on the recent weather patterns and forecast I think i'll have to stay visual and avoid thunderstorms.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!! Hope to take mine soon. I've been obsessing over the +100 -0 requirement. Sounds like you get the benefit of the doubt as long as you take action to correct. In real life though I could see where you don't want to be drifting low.

In the few days before my IR pratical, I kept having dreams through my eyes as I was flying...just fixating on the altimeter and watching it slip just under MDA and having the examiner just point it out and say "well Collin I'm gonna have to fail you for that, let's bring it home".

Thankfully I didn't allow that to happen, and it was even a bumpy day!

When I did have to correct, I was at 2100 feet.. not on an ILS. I think going under DA would have been a big no no

Thanks everyone... hoping for some crappy weather this weekend so I can get some more experience :)

How I am hoping this weekend will go: Celings 1000 feet or less. Shoot 3-4 approaches with instructor. Instructor hops out and I go shoot a few more by myself!

I feel confident I am up to the task however I would prefer my first approach in IMC not be at a far-away airport with passengers on board.

Who the hell still uses Radar Summary Charts? I'd like to see most pilots even find the product on aviation weather. It's buried. There are better ways to look at radar.

Sorry but where did radar summary charts come up?

dell30rb said:
Went over some weather stuff, looked at a radar summary chart
Just seems silly to me that if a DPE was going to quiz about a weather product, that'd be the one they'd pick...

Got it.

I agree.

I did really well in the beginning of the oral and I think she was nitpicking. She asked me to identify the echo tops and asked what 'NE' meant (no echo).

Who the hell still uses Radar Summary Charts? I'd like to see most pilots even find the product on aviation weather. It's buried. There are better ways to look at radar.
Same with WX depiction charts....I haven't looked at on since I took my Comm or CFI written (can't remember which of the two it came up on). I persoanlly don't like the way some DPE's test weather product knowlege anyway. The DE I use likes to ask for the general weather picture based on the weather the applicant bought with him/her for the X-C plan...Much more effctive and shows that the applicant can actually interpret the stuff rather than just memorize WX depiction chart symbols.

Last edited:
Did an IPC today and commented to the CFII while pre-flighting the plane that I didn't file an alternate. 1-2-3 was just not an issue this evening. Spring has finally arrived.

ae6d07dd-3fde-8667.jpg

Got some approaches in this morning. It was a little bumpy and rainy. At one point I was getting pelted in the face through the air vent. Got the bugs off though

Last edited:
Back