Flew through some clouds today

Looks like perfect weather to initially exercise your new IR. Severe VMC outside here right now.

I don't know about you guys, but I've always looked at the IR checkride as not the test. When that DPE signs you off and gives you your temp license what he's really doing is signing you off for the real test.

The 'real' test is the first time you go IMC by yourself. No CFI to save you. No DPE. The only person onboard the plane that can safely land the plane at an unseen runway miles and the feet away is YOU!

To me, that is the 'real' test.

I don't know about you guys, but I've always looked at the IR checkride as not the test. When that DPE signs you off and gives you your temp license what he's really doing is signing you off for the real test.

The 'real' test is the first time you go IMC by yourself. No CFI to save you. No DPE. The only person onboard the plane that can safely land the plane at an unseen runway miles and the feet away is YOU!

To me, that is the 'real' test.

Kind of like your first solo. Nobody is going to land that airplane except you.

Agreed, first time in the clouds by myself felt a lot like the first solo. A minute or two of "woah" and then 5 minutes later I am comfortable.

Cool thing I remember about my first trip in the clouds, I have been in the clouds for just a few minutes when ATC calls out traffic to my 3 oclock. I replied "umm.. negative traffic, i'm in IMC"

Congratulations! Your story, and those of other recent IFR grads are helpful to this IFR Student.

Keep it clean side up!

Best Regards,
Brad

Back