Flap track replacement on a cessna

Dave Palacios

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave P
I am looking for shop / ap who has experience in flap track replacement on cessnas, preferably at least a few times, but any input will be helpful.
i have purchased mcfarland tracks. so far i have removed one track, so i am not as concerned with removal technique as i am seting up the new tracks (seeing how much they cost!!). I am only replacing the tracks themselves not rib / track assembly.

I’ll fall in “any input is helpful“.

I hope, as I have never done this task.

My take is there are 2 major considerations here; Structural Integrity and Alighment.

If the replacement part is installed identical to mfg the Integrity should be fine.

That leaves Alignment.

Since the PMA does not have pilot holes you could be way off.

I believe some type of fixture is needed.

Maybe start with re-installing the original with clecos?

Now try to make something that would attach to the wing and locate the tracks.

Old and new.

There may be easier ways.

I am looking for shop / ap who has experience in flap track replacement on cessnas, preferably at least a few times, but any input will be helpful.
Can't help you with a shop but the McFarlane ICAs give the important points on the install side. Since you appear comfortable drilling out rivets this far, those ICAs should get you the rest of the way. Its what I used with success. And depending on specific model make sure you have the correct P/N track before drilling any holes. The 172s and 180s used various flap tracks within the same model run which need a bit more attention in selecting replacement tracks. I'd also recommend you change the rollers and address SEB95-3 with the appropriate McF kits if you hadn't planned on that already.

i have purchased mcfarland tracks. so far i have removed one track, so i am not as concerned with removal technique as i am seting up the new tracks (seeing how much they cost!!). I am only replacing the tracks themselves not rib / track assembly.
Where are you located?

How much sheetmetal experience do you have? Who are you expecting to certify this work?

This job can get messy if not done well.

I agree with J that this is not a beginners project .

Suggest you follow Bell‘s advice and STUDY the Mcfarland Instructions for

Continued Airworthiness. They are on their website. I like you can

determine the scope of the project prior to purchase . Their method does

address alignment concerns.

Your Tech may want to be present during the procedure. Proper alignment

is not easy to verify later.

This might be a job for Williams Airframe Components in Indiana. I bet they would do it for you?
You would have to take the wing off and deliver it to them.
Sorry no other help. Good luck with it and maybe report back and let us know how it works out? Thanks

I bet you have already seen this write up?
https://www.cessnaflyer.org/mainten...essna-flap-tracks-inspection-replacement.html

This is the worst job on a Cessna, by far.

Back