Fixed ADS-B In

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
Kinda surprising to me there are no options for a fixed mount hard wired ADS-B receiver. Like a GDL-39, but screw mount under the panel and hang a Ted antenna on the belly. WiFi to your mobile devices and maybe serial to your Navigator.

A lot of us bought ADS-B Out transponder units to comply with the mandate, or picked up an aircraft so equipped. Mine has a GTX 335, for instance. Would be nice to have a hard wired option and not have to fool with suction cups and USB cords.

Only one I have seen is the UAvionix SkySensor, but I don't want to mess with my very nice Whelan wingtip lights. Nor do I think it makes sense to put sensitive electronics out in the weather.

What am I missing??

You’re about come into some money - or at least it’ll feel that way now that your plane is “done” and your wallet fattens up.

I'm going to ask a probably stupid question... I see lots of club and rental airplanes with velcro stuck to the yoke, presumably to let people stick their portable device in front of them. Well, why wouldn't it be possible to put some better kind of detachable mount on the panel? Like a quick-detach tripod mount for a camera. Get whatever hopefully simple approval for just the mount, because it isn't structural and doesn't affect the operation of the plane. Then take your portable device, put the other half of the quick-detach mount on it, and plug it in via USB. This all seems more reasonable and less hassle than suction cups, or letting the USB thing fly around loose.

Well, why wouldn't it be possible to put some better kind of detachable mount on the panel? Like a quick-detach tripod mount for a camera.
Of course that's possible. The mounts from MyGoFlight come to mind; they have a bunch of different mounts (including some that can be attached to the panel) and quick-release adapters for devices (iPads, cameras, ...).

Why don't clubs use those? Probably because they cost money, and velcro is cheap. But any club wishing to have a nicer mount can choose to install one.

I'm going to ask a probably stupid question... I see lots of club and rental airplanes with velcro stuck to the yoke, presumably to let people stick their portable device in front of them. Well, why wouldn't it be possible to put some better kind of detachable mount on the panel? Like a quick-detach tripod mount for a camera. Get whatever hopefully simple approval for just the mount, because it isn't structural and doesn't affect the operation of the plane. Then take your portable device, put the other half of the quick-detach mount on it, and plug it in via USB. This all seems more reasonable and less hassle than suction cups, or letting the USB thing fly around loose.

If I were a renter or club member I wouldn't rely on the school/club to provide a mount point for me. Instead, I'd use the same method to mount my tablet as I do in my own plane:

For ADS-B in (and also high-rate GPS and in-flight near-real-time weather), I installed a Stratux. That was 8 years ago, about 1000 hours of use and it's still working fine. Total cost was less than $150.

As for "fixed", you can velcro it to an out-of-the-way location and run a wire to the antenna, whether internal or external.

Kinda surprising to me there are no options for a fixed mount hard wired ADS-B receiver.

I have a Stratus 3 hardwired under my panel to the ship's power (with a single port True Blue USB power supply), and attached to an external antenna.

I ditched the RAM suction mount for the Stratus ( which kept falling off ) for one from Fly Boys which appears to be a Panavise suction mount. Has never fallen off. Now, I am flying today and a bit over the next few days, so there's that.... ;)

For ADS-B in (and also high-rate GPS and in-flight near-real-time weather), I installed a Stratux. That was 8 years ago, about 1000 hours of use and it's still working fine. Total cost was less than $150.

As for "fixed", you can velcro it to an out-of-the-way location and run a wire to the antenna, whether internal or external.
I have and use a Stratux. But it is not "installed". To me, that connotes hardware attachment and wired to ships power, not velcro and USB. The former is significantly more reliable and less subject to pilot lapses when in a hurry.

I have a Stratus 3 hardwired under my panel to the ship's power (with a single port True Blue USB power supply), and attached to an external antenna.

That's a good setup, but I would not call it hard wired. To me hardwired is direct power line from a dedicated breaker to the device without a removable intermediate device.

Looks like the GDL 50R does what I am looking for. Just wish it was a bit more reasonable in price. But Garmin.

That's a good setup, but I would not call it hard wired. To me hardwired is direct power line from a dedicated breaker to the device without a removable intermediate device.

It's all under the panel, including the USB port, which is necessary because the Stratus operates on 5 volts.

It's all under the panel, including the USB port, which is necessary because the Stratus operates on 5 volts.
I fully understand. As I said, that is a good setup. I am looking for a device that operates directly on 12v, rather than requiring another device to power it.

From a cost perspective, Stratus 3 at $750 plus true blue single port at $150 is comparable to a GDL50R TSO at $950.

Looks like the GDL 50R does what I am looking for. Just wish it was a bit more reasonable in price. But Garmin.
Be sure to take a close look at the 50R vs the 50 and what does and doesn’t come with each unit. I have the 50R in my (experimental) gyro and the 50 in my Warrior. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to do the 50 in the gyro, I think: I needed to get my own D-sub connector and antenna for the 50R. And while I opted for a remote antenna for the 50, at least it came with one plus a power cord. Plus, the 50 snaps securely into its tray (which can be bolted down or, as I have it, can be Velcro’d down).

Are GDL series compatible with 3rd party software, or would I be locked into Garmin?

Are GDL series compatible with 3rd party software, or would I be locked into Garmin?
I can't speak to the 50 but with later firmware versions the GDL-39 can talk to Foreflight. Just be careful updating your firmware, if necessary.

Nauga,
who uses neither

who uses neither

Me too. Was using iFly and Stratux before AOG started 19 months ago. Considering a switch due to some stability issues I encountered, one during a stressful flight situation. But not at all keen to buy hardware that locks me into a nav app.

On same trip I took off into conditions where I needed WAAS on my non-GPS iPad, then realized I had forgotten to plug my Stratux into USB before takeoff. That resulted in a tense few minutes while I rebooted everything. Hence my interest in hardwired solutions now that I am no longer AOG.

Last edited:
Which remote ADS-B antenna do you use? I picked up a Ted ball antenna with intentions of mounting it on the belly, but my aircraft is fabric and have not been able to find a suitable location. What internal options are there? This iLevil strip antenna looks useful.
Screenshot_20231124-090519.png
Does ADS-B In work better on top or bottom of aircraft? Anyone know if the signal can be received thru fabric that is NOT covered with metallic based UV blocking coat ("silver")?

Last edited:
The long(er) story is that I bricked my 39R trying to update the firmware so that I could try it with Foreflight. It had nothing to do with Foreflight, it was all in the reflash. Given the other stuff that was going on at the time it was cheaper to replace it with a transponder with integrated in/out.

Nauga,
and a box of doorstops

The long(er) story is that I bricked my 39R trying to update the firmware so that I could try it with Foreflight. It had nothing to do with Foreflight, it was all in the reflash. Given the other stuff that was going on at the time it was cheaper to replace it with a transponder with integrated in/out.

Nauga,
and a box of doorstops
I had the exact same event with my GDL-50. Bricked during reflash. Garmin said nope, won't fix, buy a new one. It infuriated me so much that I vowed to find a 3rd party replacement for Pilot. Hearing your experience reminds me why I don't want to buy another GDL. I'm ok with the bricking, it's the not fixing that the dude cannot abide.

So, no GDL because Garmin. No Foreflight because Apple. What does that leave me with: Stratus?

Last edited:
Would be nice to have a hard wired option and not have to fool with suction cups and USB cords.

This is what I use:

Hardwired to aircraft power, ADSB receiver turns on and off with XCVR power, receiver is mounted under the panel and has an external GPS antenna. No suction cups or USB cables at all. WiFi to my portable devices. I have a 740b mounted to my panel, and use an iPad mini for a backup.

This is what I use:

Hardwired to aircraft power, ADSB receiver turns on and off with XCVR power, receiver is mounted under the panel and has an external GPS antenna. No suction cups or USB cables at all. WiFi to my portable devices. I have a 740b mounted to my panel, and use an iPad mini for a backup.

If the Stratus 3I were transponder-agnostic, it would be exactly what I am looking for.

So swap out your xpndr and have exactly what you want.
Since I have a newish GTX-335, that would be an egregious waste of money.

Appears my 2 best options are A) GDL-50R, or B) portable receiver under panel with remote antennas.

Don't want to lock myself into Pilot or Foreflight, so that narrows my choices to Stratus 3, Astro+, and Stratux.

Despite my bad mouthing Stratux, I think I'll see what I can do with that first. Will order some antenna cables once I measure my cockpit later today.

Does ADS-B In work better on top or bottom of aircraft? Anyone know if the signal can be received thru fabric that is NOT covered with metallic based UV blocking coat ("silver")?
The FAA towers are on the ground, so I'd mount it below if I were picking a spot.

That said, and relevant to your second question, for over seven years I've been using a home-built Stratux sitting on the hat rack inside my Cherokee with the antennas just inches from the metal skin of the fuselage, and it works just fine. Probably any location in or on your aircraft would be good.

uAvionix Echo-UAT. Fixed mount - hard wired ADSB receiver (plus ADSB out) in one small box half the size of deck of cards. $999.

uAvionix Echo-UAT. Fixed mount - hard wired ADSB receiver (plus ADSB out) in one small box half the size of deck of cards. $999.

Nice piece of kit. Love uAvionix innovation. Would be great if they yanked the ADS-B OUT circuitry out and sold the resulting device for even less.

That said, I think I understand why nobody sells exactly what I am looking for. Would need to be PMA, TSO, or STC for hard wired install in TC aircraft. Not worth the approval expense for small market of loons like me, except as dedicated device to feed a flat panel system. Hence the GDL-50R, Dynon Skyview, Avidyne, etc.

USB power means portable device, which means owner can install without logbook entry or parts eligibility basis.

Gonna order antenna extension cables and mount my Stratux under the panel. If that works out, might transition to Stratus 3 or iLevil Astro+ later.

Since I have a newish GTX-335, that would be an egregious waste of money.

The money has already been wasted by buying something that wasn't what you really wanted. You're worrying about milk spilled under the bridge. ;)

Gonna order antenna extension cables and mount my Stratux under the panel.

Bet you'll find that to be perfectly acceptable, and it's a trivial cash outlay.

The money has already been wasted by buying something that wasn't what you really wanted. You're worrying about milk spilled under the bridge. ;)

That milk was spilled by the previous owner. It meets my needs. The question is whether I would want to spend another $4K to get 100% of what I want. I do not. Not when the alternative is getting 95% of what I want by installing a portable device under panel for a cost of $1K max.

I'm fine with the portable device solution. The whole thread just started as a comment that it was too bad that one of the portable brands did not make a version with 12v instead of 5v power input. That's all.

That said, I think I understand why nobody sells exactly what I am looking for. Would need to be PMA, TSO, or STC to sell for hard wired install in TC aircraft. Not worth the approval expense for small market of loons like me, except as dedicated device to feed a flat panel system. Hence the GDL-50R, Dynon Skyview, Avidyne, etc.

@Bell206 fixed it for me.

I have this unit on my experimental and it has been flawless in operation. But for certified it seems overkill ...

That milk was spilled by the previous owner. It meets my needs. The question is whether I would want to spend another $4K to get 100% of what I want. I do not. Not when the alternative is getting 95% of what I want by installing a portable device under panel for a cost of $1K max.

I'm fine with the portable device solution. The whole thread just started as a comment that it was too bad that one of the portable brands did not make a version with 12v instead of 5v power input. That's all.

So get a 12V to USB power supply.

Install it with ADS-B out disabled

Back