First time solo in IMC

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Well I popped the cherry today. It was IFR all day today and slowly improved to MVFR late this evening. I waited til there was at least a 2000ft ceiling and launched. It was reported as 2,600ft at the time and some few below. I picked up my clearance via cellphone on the ground and took off. They climbed me up to 4,000 for the approach into CHA and that put me solid into IMC. I only got about .3 of actual during the vectoring and broke out before the FAF, shortly before joining the final approach course, but dang it was pretty awesome. Canceled IFR a couple miles out and then went back to base. Nothing too impressive, but I wanted to slowly dip my toe into actual conditions when safely practicable.

Nice start. :)
With a similar ceiling, go up and have the controller(s) vector you and give you holds, hand flying the whole time. That will make you comfortable with a variety of challenges, with the ability to opt out at any time. I found this to be fun, but there was very little turbulence. The controller had just one other plane, and gave me a good workout.

That ups your confidence in the ability to cope with unexpected changes in heading, and maybe altitude, as opposed to just following the magenta line. The high ceiling below gives the option of descending to visual if discomfort occurs. By yourself in the plane is a whole different world in IR, much more than VFR.

Well I popped the cherry today. It was IFR all day today and slowly improved to MVFR late this evening. I waited til there was at least a 2000ft ceiling and launched. It was reported as 2,600ft at the time and some few below. I picked up my clearance via cellphone on the ground and took off. They climbed me up to 4,000 for the approach into CHA and that put me solid into IMC. I only got about .3 of actual during the vectoring and broke out before the FAF, shortly before joining the final approach course, but dang it was pretty awesome. Canceled IFR a couple miles out and then went back to base. Nothing too impressive, but I wanted to slowly dip my toe into actual conditions when safely practicable.
It's a cool feeling after spending all that time avoiding clouds, isn't it? I ended up flying home from my checkride ifr. Like you ceilings were high enough to scud run, but it felt so good to punch through the layer, and I was rewarded with a beautiful sunset on top. I'll never forget it. Cmi gave me my first visual approach, and I managed to not screw it up lol.

Oh, fwiw, my next solo ifr i went to do some approaches in actual. Climbing into the soup, approach gave me a turn towards the iaf, and I got the leans REALLY bad. Concentrated on the instruments, and once I was leveled out on the correct heading it went away. Never had it that bad since, so be prepared for that when the time comes; it takes while for your brain to figure out what's going on.

Congrats! And that sounds like a really smart way to start it.

When did you get your rating?
My first flight after the test put me in some actual. Nothing long or bumpy, but nice to do.

Good for you !! Thats the way to do it !!

Flying in the clouds is phenomenal !!

When did you get your rating?
My first flight after the test put me in some actual. Nothing long or bumpy, but nice to do.
Per this thread, Thursday of last week.

Congrats always good to start above minimums and work your way down as you get more experience. Set your own personal minimums.

Congratulations! The first time can be nerve wracking not having someone more experienced with you.

My first time was about two weeks after I passed my checkride on a long cross country trip with my wife, which was the motivator for finishing my IR. The worst part was the actual involved crossing through a small frontal line with precipitation to navigate. Today in hindsight it was nothing, but the first time the controller calls you with, "I show moderate to heavy precip along your route of flight, please advise if you need to deviate" and not ever having penetrated weather like that before...I was nervous. At the end of the day it was just a little light rain, but I didn't know what I didn't know.

What a good way to start solo actual IMC! Good for you.

IFR was where I learned way more about the variations of ATC. VFR on flight following, it is pretty much all the same. But IFR, some towers/approach/center are on the ball, others have you the lowest on the list of priorities. It’s where I really learned what PIC is as ATC is sitting in a comfy chair on the ground managing the big picture, not looking out your windscreen. NYC area they will keep you high until it suits them, so knowing how to dump energy fast is key. Approaches at airports handled by center, prodding them with requests helps move things along. And the reverse happens too, where I got a handoff, switched frequencies and waited to see if they are busy, and approach keys up with my tail number and ”say approach request” before I’ve said anything.

Thats awesome. Congrats!
Does your plane have A/P. I like flying in and out of IMC but have found I dont enjoy being IMC past 10 mins without the A/P.

Thats awesome. Congrats!
Does your plane have A/P. I like flying in and out of IMC but have found I dont enjoy being IMC past 10 mins without the A/P.
You are spoiled :D. I did my instrument training in a 172 with two VOR receivers (one with LOC) and an ADF. My first solo IMC was a week after getting the ticket. 1.3 total, 1.0 actual, 0.8 night, ILS approach to 550 AGL.

I’m being tongue in cheek about “spoiled,” but I do think there are downsides to the amount autopilots are used in training these days. Your 10 minute limit, even if soft, may be a consequence.

You are spoiled :D. I did my instrument training in a 172 with two VOR receivers (one with LOC) and an ADF. My first solo IMC was a week after getting the ticket. 1.3 total, 1.0 actual, 0.8 night, ILS approach to 550 AGL.

I’m being tongue in cheek about “spoiled,” but I do think there are downsides to the amount autopilots are used in training these days. Your 10 minute limit, even if soft, may be a consequence.
This is exactly why I hand fly at least half of the approaches I shoot for currency/proficiency. I'm a firm believer in using A/P to the maximum extent possible for real world single pilot IFR ops. However, you've got to be comfortable hand flying as you never know when the A/P is going to go Tango Uniform.

For clarity I don't have A/P. I flew the old beat up 172 during training. now I fly an old beat up c150. lol neither has AP.
I have racked up a bunch imc time solo. I can hand fly it fine in imc but it gets tiresome after 15 mins. a month after getting my ticket I was flying ifr back home from far. the taf was calling a ceiling at 2000 which was my personal limit at the time. when I got there the ceiling was at 800. 300 ft agl. it was tense but so satisfying.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I hand fly at least half of the approaches I shoot for currency/proficiency. I'm a firm believer in using A/P to the maximum extent possible for real world single pilot IFR ops. However, you've got to be comfortable hand flying as you never know when the A/P is going to go Tango Uniform.
That’s a good thing. I mentioned training for the rating but AP overdependence causes issues for rated pilots as well. It’s the subject of my latest IFR Mag article (subscriber paywall on this one).

(Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I love autopilots!)

I did 2.5 in awful IMC last late summer. IT WAS WORK! (no A/P)!

No AP and that amount of time in awful IMC ... I'd pass and not even have gone airborne ... that sounds horrible doc ... did you have a passenger?

Nice start. :)
With a similar ceiling, go up and have the controller(s) vector you and give you holds, hand flying the whole time. That will make you comfortable with a variety of challenges, with the ability to opt out at any time. I found this to be fun, but there was very little turbulence. The controller had just one other plane, and gave me a good workout.

That ups your confidence in the ability to cope with unexpected changes in heading, and maybe altitude, as opposed to just following the magenta line. The high ceiling below gives the option of descending to visual if discomfort occurs. By yourself in the plane is a whole different world in IR, much more than VFR.
Great idea, geezer! I am going to do this next time I'm able.

Back