Finding a good A&P

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
Hey party people.

The A&P I have is good. Great even. But his schedule blows. But from what I'm told, he's the only non-scam artist on the field and is priced as such.

How did you all find your A&P? Is your A&P on your airfield? If not, do you drop the plane off and take an Uber ride back home? I'm trying to think about my options for taking my plane elsewhere, but I don't want to have to get a ride back and forth to another airport.

My A&P is great and loves involved owners. He drives from another local airport to us or we can fly it to him. In that case a buddy will fly along and give me a flight back in his plane...word of mouth is I how found this guy.

Ask around someone will know somebody.

Hey party people.

The A&P I have is good. Great even. But his schedule blows. But from what I'm told, he's the only non-scam artist on the field and is priced as such.

How did you all find your A&P? Is your A&P on your airfield? If not, do you drop the plane off and take an Uber ride back home? I'm trying to think about my options for taking my plane elsewhere, but I don't want to have to get a ride back and forth to another airport.
I think "great A&P" and "easy to schedule A&P" don't normally go together. My A&P is great, but I have to schedule most things months in advance.

Ask around in the type groups.

A great C172 AP might not be a very good Swift mechanic, I'd want one who actively works on at least two other of the same type.

Owner assist is also a big factor, both money wise and quality wise

My AP was working on the Cessna in my neighboring hangar when I brought my plane home after I bought it. I got lucky.

Ask around in the type groups.

A great C172 AP might not be a very good Swift mechanic, I'd want one who actively works on at least two other of the same type.

Owner assist is also a big factor, both money wise and quality wise
The owner's mechanical ability being the big factor there.

The owner's mechanical ability being the big factor there.

Correct, but even a non mechanically inclined type can open inspection covers and lots of other mindless time saving stuff, plus learning a little more on each annual.

Correct, but even a non mechanically inclined type can open inspection covers and lots of other mindless time saving stuff, plus learning a little more on each annual.
I had two owners that didn't know the difference between a Phillips and a straight slot, and screw had a totally different meaning.

My primary A&P is on the field. In fact he just moved to a larger hangAr that is 6 doors down on my row. That's very convenient because he or his apprentice can pop by and fit little stuff while they're stopped for parts or whatever on their big jobs.

Some remote A&P's charge lower rates, and that's good for annuals, overhauls, stuff where you can fly the plane to them. Not much help if you can't get the plane to them. It's rarely an issue to find a chase pilot when we need to get a plane out there because we book both planes as "maintenance" and the pilots get ~3 hours of free flight time.

As to owner assist. I pull cowlings, wheel pants, or whatever needed to get to the problem and then get the A&P over. We do whatever needs doing. I pay the bill and then I put the dressings back on myself. Saves about 30min to an 1hr per job and I'm learning a lot. Legally I could do it all myself, but I'm more of a nightmare with a wrench than I am with a keyboard :)

I've never heard a flathead screwdriver ever called a straight slot before. Not bustin' on Tom or anything, just making an observation. Maybe its a regional thing like: bubbler - water fountain, sub - grinder - hoagie, and Coke - pop - soft drink.

No perfect solution. Just ask around and try him out. I have had good luck with the older semi retired guys (they arent so desperate for money...)

I've never heard a flathead screwdriver ever called a straight slot before. Not bustin' on Tom or anything, just making an observation. Maybe its a regional thing like: bubbler - water fountain, sub - grinder - hoagie, and Coke - pop - soft drink.
I've never known them as anything else.

I need a mechanic too. Im at Erie KEIK in Colorado. Any suggestions? Aviat Husky is the plane. Simple taildragger.

I need a mechanic too. Im at Erie KEIK in Colorado. Any suggestions? Aviat Husky is the plane. Simple taildragger.
If you find a mechanic that thinks a Aviat Husky is a simple taildragger get away from him. Or you could look at it as a learning process if he does not kill you.

If you find a mechanic that thinks a Aviat Husky is a simple taildragger get away from him. Or you could look at it as a learning process if he does not kill you.
That prop is just a simple prop, it's got 4 grease fittings they all must need some grease , right?

It's fabric, gotta punch test it :)

Lol I was thinking the same thing. Never heard it called a straight slot before.

Back