Finally made it into the flight levels

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Had the opportunity to max out the cirrus at FL250. My previous best was 17,000'. I was not comfortable the entire time, and likely wont be doing it again unless weather forces me or I am flying in something pressurized.

I did not like wearing a full face mask, nor the constant added stress worrying about something going wrong with the oxygen.

How many of you guys fly/have flown non-pressurized piston singles up there?

Attachments

• FL250.jpg
    FL250.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 241
Thats pretty high man. I have taken a propeller twin to FL410 but never been in a piston single in the levels. Thats way cool.

I once went to FL210 in a Turbo Trinidad ( I was right seat) we were flying from 6Y9 to KLOM flew the UP of Michigan over the Bruce Peninsula Niagra Falls then KLOM. It was Labor Day and I recall two things 1) I was sucking O2 like crazy and2) it was COLD!

I too was a bit uncomfortable, it the sound was so flat ( or so I imagined) and vast and we were over an overcast IIRC. Just weird.

Last edited:
Thats pretty high man. I have taken a propeller twin to FL410 but never been in a piston single in the levels. Thats way cool.

Just curious what type airplane..?

I fly my Matrix in the flight levels every now and then. Plane performs wonderfully up that high. I have seen 290kt ground speeds...

I have a mask on and a backup oxygen source in my lap....so to speak.

The highest I have taken a passenger is 18K.

Not my idea of fun in a non pressurized aircraft.

Thanks! Was kinda a bucket list item for me. Box checked.

I once went to FL210 in a Turbo Trinidad ( I was right seat) we were flying from 6Y9 to KLOM flew the UP of Michigan over the Bruce Peninsula Niagra Falls then KLOM. It was Labor Day and I recall two things 1) I was sucking O2 like crazy and2) it was COLD!

I too was a bit uncomfortable, it the sound was so flat ( or so I imagined) and vast and we were over an overcast IIRC. Just weird.

Yeah it is cold. was -23C at FL250. Hot summer day on the ground.

I fly my Matrix in the flight levels every now and then. Plane performs wonderfully up that high. I have seen 290kt ground speeds...

I have a mask on and a backup oxygen source in my lap....so to speak.

The highest I have taken a passenger is 18K.

You went above 18K solo? I had a passenger with me that I briefed heavy about what to do if I started to lose it. I was very nervous. I was averaging around a 240-250kt ground speed on this trip. Is the Matrix pressurized?

I've taken an DA42 and an Aztec up there. I think it's too high for a typical non-pressurized piston, but if the mission requires it, sure I'll do it.

I did an altitude chamber test at 25,000'. Soon after removing the oxygen mask I got stupid. Given a quiz, I could not think of three states starting with the letter M. Oddly, though, I felt like I was alert and sharp.

Jason, I see you were getting 206 knots true up there. Do you recall your GPH? I'm just wondering what kind of MPG you got up there.

You went above 18K solo? I had a passenger with me that I briefed heavy about what to do if I started to lose it. I was very nervous. I was averaging around a 240-250kt ground speed on this trip. Is the Matrix pressurized?
Yep. Solo.

Matrix is NOT pressurized. I like this plane a lot. It performs well at 4K MSL and 24k MSL. Same fuel burn...just more TAS higher. I have owned the aircraft for three years now. Very versatile aircraft.

Yep. Solo.

Matrix is NOT pressurized. I like this plane a lot. It performs well at 4K MSL and 24k MSL. Same fuel burn...just more TAS higher. I have owned the aircraft for three years now. Very versatile aircraft.

I looked into a used Mirage before I settled on the Cirrus. That was pressurized. I really like them a lot, but the parachute thing felt better to the wife. I may find myself in a piper turboprop one day though. I am envious of the amount of room you have inside!

hhhmmmm, hypoxic passenger molestation, I see what you got goin on here......"what happens at 17,000' stays at 17,000'", right wink wink? sick bastid.

I got a 172 to 19k once
Wow. That must've taken....a while. ;)

We've taken the RV to 15.5. We came much of the way back from OSH at 14.5. That was high enough. The engine is making so little horsepower up there that the only advantage to being that high is (a) it's cool and smooth, and/or (b) the headwind is less or the tailwind is better.

Our sweet spot is usually 6500' - 8500'.

Bellanca Viking 18 and 19K a few times. You can catch some decent winds up there.

I don't know why but I get really uncomfortable up high.
I'm not taking real high either.

Last flight was 11k and just felt uneasy.
Not sure what it is exactly.

In the Cirrus I plan on going above 10 on any flight greater than one hour. Then I look at 10/11/12 for better winds and direction of travel. Mine is NA and no O2 so that's about it for me :( next one will be a turbo sr22

hhhmmmm, hypoxic passenger molestation, I see what you got goin on here......"what happens at 17,000' stays at 17,000'", right wink wink? sick bastid.

When was it you wanted to go for a ride with me? :D

In the Cirrus I plan on going above 10 on any flight greater than one hour. Then I look at 10/11/12 for better winds and direction of travel. Mine is NA and no O2 so that's about it for me :( next one will be a turbo sr22

NA here too.
I have a portable O2 rig.

I think that feeling will pass quickly.

I had O2 installed in my Cirrus, and really enjoyed flying in the mid to upper teens, above a lot of the weather and with amazing efficiency - 160+ kts on less than 10 gph.

15072497308_97a5c748e3_c.jpg

After a couple hours at 17,500, descending through 10,000 can suddenly feel like low altitude scud running! And descent planning becomes more important - at 500 fpm you may have to begin descent about 30 minutes and almost 100nm from your destination. The Garmins can help out on vertical descent planning, though the faux glideslope on a Garmin handheld is even better.

Last edited:
I looked into a used Mirage before I settled on the Cirrus. That was pressurized. I really like them a lot, but the parachute thing felt better to the wife. I may find myself in a piper turboprop one day though. I am envious of the amount of room you have inside!

Copy that. The sense of security the parachute provides cannot be replaced to anyone who values the security. The Cirrus is a great plane and was almost my selection before I bought the Matrix. I moved up through a 172 then a 182...both G-1000's...both practically brand new.

In checking out aircraft...the M Class Pipers were really in a place all to themselves...

I'd wager you left the wife see the airstair and she will get interested.

I've taken my SR22 TN up to FL240 once to top some weather but in general I'm a high teens kind of flyer.

I'll do 20-25 once a week or so, no big deal in a pressurized turbine, just remembering to reset the altimeter.

High altitude endorsement was the most "uhh that's it" endorsement I've obtained so far.

As for pistons, anything in the wearing O2 range, I'll just pass, wearing a plastic mask or cramming stuff up my nose just isn't my idea of a good time.

Last edited:
I'll do 20-25 once a week or so, no big deal in a pressurized turbine, just remembering to reset the altimeter.

High altitude endorsement was the most "uhh that's it" endorsement I've obtained so far.

As for pistons, anything in the wearing O2 range, I'll just pass, wearing a plastic mask or cramming stuff up my nose just isn't my idea of a good time.

I felt the same way. I was expecting a lot more.

The 421s and 414s I used to fly were pressurized. I had no problem taking them up to FL220.

I typically fly my Mooney over the Rockies between 16,500 and FL200, but I've been up to FL240 to top weather a few times.

You just need to do it more. When I lived in Colorado most of my flying was done at or above 12.5K Ft, but then again the big rocks are not far from you. When I moved back east I felt a lot more comfortable above 10K Ft, and used it to avoid weather, and/or when the winds were favorable.

I used to fly around the 10000 ft mark as often as possible in non pressurized planes that I've had and have. Have a 4 place tank setup that I carried for maybe going higher. When I did my passengers were never happy. Tank is for sale now. I fly a pressurized plane now and very seldom fly lower than 16000 and try to stay between fl210 and fl240. In non pressurized planes I stay between mostly 3500 and 6500 now. Easier on ears. Really never noticed that much before.

Had the Cherokee at FL105 this past weekend to get over clouds. It is a little spooky at first- the ground is much further away if you're used to 5500 ft AGL- but it's nice and cool (at least in the muggy mid-Atlantic) and there's virtually no other traffic. It's also surprisingly quiet.

Had the Cherokee at FL105 this past weekend to get over clouds. It is a little spooky at first- the ground is much further away if you're used to 5500 ft AGL- but it's nice and cool (at least in the muggy mid-Atlantic) and there's virtually no other traffic. It's also surprisingly quiet.
FL105!?

I brought a Turbo 182T to FL190 once simply for the "I've been in the flight levels" feeling.

So those of you who have been up to FL250 in an unpressurized plane, is there a lot of farting going on? There must be a lot of intestinal air that wants to come out really badly when you get up there. Serious question.

Back