Fidel Castro is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I misread your post to say he was German. But you don't say what he was, was he Russian? If so, he may have been on the winning side in one sense but the rest of my comment applies. The Polish people were mistreated by both Armies.

While I share your disdain for the evil empire (as it were originally referred to), I'd also argue that the Red Army fought a historically respectable fight. Much more than us at the time, they were fighting an existential threat. While they certainly fought a dirty fight for the next 40 years, particularly when it came to Czechs and Poles, I'm not convinced we would have collectively "won" without them, or their counteroffensive.

It's been 3 days, and I still don't care.

Dead is good - an amoral mass mudererer, drug runner, political oppressor that trampled human rights for half a century, while mixing in some torture and rent-a-merceneary business, and capped it off with stupendous economic incompetence. . .he single handedly stopped the clock on Cuba's social, political, and economic progress for three generations. Being dead is all good, just no down side at all.

While I share your disdain for the evil empire (as it were originally referred to), I'd also argue that the Red Army fought a historically respectable fight. Much more than us at the time, they were fighting an existential threat. While they certainly fought a dirty fight for the next 40 years, particularly when it came to Czechs and Poles, I'm not convinced we would have collectively "won" without them, or their counteroffensive.

If you are interested in more than just the battles(it sounds like you are), here is a good read along those lines. It might be helpful to some of your War College papers if you're headed that way.
51VTuei1XoL._AC_US160_.jpg

Reading some of these post again, and similar post in other media that have a positive view of Fidel almost always also have a very negative view of the United States. It is not coincidence at all, but to a great degree a certain level of anti-Americanism. They view Fidel as the enemy of my enemy must be my friend and are perfectly willing to ignore the fact that this man has murdered thousands of his own citizens to enslave a nation, but hey, if he hates America he must be ok. It is the same type of self-loathing displayed by many on the far left that consider America and its capitalist system the root of all evil, but inexplicably felt that Fidel was the embodiment of all that is just and fair. I always found it difficult to understand some of the Hollywood types that battered the US government for its abuses and the following week were down in Havana shaking hands with the great Fidel Castro....WTF....really??? It would certainly make for an interesting psychological study.
Those of us who lived through the Vietnam era will remember similar attitudes vis a vis the North Vietnamese government. There was a faction of the anti-war movement that was definitely rooting for the other side. While I didn't exactly support our policies in that part of the world, I could never understand why the people who shouted "Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh!" even bothered to stay in this country. (Though I'm sure many were just kids doing it for shock value.)

Those of us who lived through the Vietnam era will remember similar attitudes vis a vis the North Vietnamese government. There was a faction of the anti-war movement that was definitely rooting for the other side. While I didn't exactly support our policies in that part of the world, I could never understand why the people who shouted "Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh!" even bothered to stay in this country. (Though I'm sure many were just kids doing it for shock value.)

I remember them spitting on the soldiers and calling them baby killers.

They were vile hippy scum, and their "victory" of causing us to withdraw snatched defeat from the jaws of victory resulting in over a million being exterminated when the commies ran unchecked.

Very few 'Cuban doctors' manage to obtain medical licensure in the US,
I want my own doctor flown in from Miami, I don't trust a doctor that doesn't speak English.

They were vile hippy scum, and their "victory" of causing us to withdraw snatched defeat from the jaws of victory resulting in over a million being exterminated when the commies ran unchecked.

In 1972 I was all of 14 years old, and in a private military school. I was walking home in my ROTC uniform when a green VW with flowers painted all over it pulled up next to me. I suspect it was girls inside, hard to tell at that time period, but they threw beer cans at me and screamed, "baby killer" several times then drove off.

Now the vile hippy scum run the government and mass media.

I have some friends in the SSS islands that are quite worried over Cuba. They are worried that when Cuba relations become normalized that tourism in the rest of the Greater & Lesser Antilles will dry up.
Competition is good.

Competition is good.

I agree. It just that St. Maarten, in particular, has expanded its tourism industry by insane amounts in the last 16 years. 16 years ago I remember whole bays and hillsides still covered in scrubs and trees. Now there is only maybe three natural beaches left on the island. It's horrible and completely unsustainable.

What does a Dr's language have to do with his trustworthiness?
It's Hyman Roth's line from the Godfather II, as he lay "dying" in Havana. Roth's character is loosely based on Meyer Lansky.

It's obvious many here have not really read about the Vietnam war and how many Americans died needlessly. Ho was not a commie, he was a nationalist and wanted the French out of his country. When we backed the French he turned to the communists for help. It was a total disaster for America and we lost fifty thousand troops. Many of those protesting were of draft age and knew they were next to die for an unwinable war. Ho was perfectly willing to fight for many more years and said so. As MacArthur stated before we went in, " stay out of Vietnam and Asia. We will not win". America is slow to learn. We were told the Iraqis would throw flowers at us three weeks after we invaded, ten years later, thousands upon thousands killed and no end in sight, trillion or so lost plus six thousand Americans dead and 35 thousand or more wounded. I don't recall anyone " routing for the other side." I do recall many young people not wanting to die and many many college kids protesting. Remember, like in Iraq, we didn't send rich kids, only poor kids were sent to the grinder.

Last edited:
I am curious how much of our tax dollars are going to be spent to fly our dignitaries to his funeral? I cannot believe anyone in their right mind could sit back and say anything good about the man and his commie dictatorship.
This should be a good time for our schools to educate all the young ignorant students about communism and how it has shaped the world we live in. Instead we will get a bunch of "schools" flying their flag at half staff for the commie scum.

I was an attendant in a wedding for a buddy that married into a wealthy Cuban/American family. Helluva reception, and the most amazing dancing by the older family members (people who lived in Cuba in 40-50's.)

I assume they lost quite a bit of wealth when Castro took over, as they still hold grudges. I was speaking with him about wanting to make a trip to Cuba, and he said his wife (and by default, her family) would/could not travel there due to the strong feelings of her Cuban/exPat family. Nobody in that family would spend one dime, until Castro(s) were gone.

Me on the other hand? It is on my list of places to go before it gets overrun by a bunch of American tourists from Jersey and Ohio wearing white tennis shoes and blue jean shorts.

It's Hyman Roth's line from the Godfather II, as he lay "dying" in Havana. Roth's character is loosely based on Meyer Lansky.
If you have to explain a joke...

I am curious how much of our tax dollars are going to be spent to fly our dignitaries to his funeral? I cannot believe anyone in their right mind could sit back and say anything good about the man and his commie dictatorship.
This should be a good time for our schools to educate all the young ignorant students about communism and how it has shaped the world we live in. Instead we will get a bunch of "schools" flying their flag at half staff for the commie scum.

One thing I never quite got (and I lived thru the Cold War) was the hatred of Communism and the requirement that it be eradicated. Who are we to judge what form of governments that people can choose? We have one chosen form, other people might choose other forms.

And, before you get all "numbery" on the numbers of people that Stalin killed, keep in mind the US has supported and/or turned a blind eye toward mass killings by other forms of governments, and, the US has propped up some horrible despots and dictators around the world.

This list here doesn't look to overly weighted toward communism.

One thing I never quite got (and I lived thru the Cold War) was the hatred of Communism and the requirement that it be eradicated. Who are we to judge what form of governments that people can choose? We have one chosen form, other people might choose other forms.
Among the stupidest posts I've read here. People "choose" Communism?

As I said read more! your totally wrong but to quote, " never in doubt but usually wrong." Your watching fox news too much and apparently did poorly in history in school.
"Your"--- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... English much?

And, before you get all "numbery" on the numbers of people that Stalin killed, keep in mind the US has supported and/or turned a blind eye toward mass killings by other forms of governments, and, the US has propped up some horrible despots and dictators around the world.

This list here doesn't look to overly weighted toward communism.
So.......... communism is good then?

So.......... communism is good then?

Not sure it is mine to decide if good/bad. But, if people choose that form of government, that is up to them. The method of choosing may sometimes be fatal to those who would choose otherwise, but that has happened with many forms of government over the years.

Likely the "good/bad" label would depend on the form of government that previously existed.

Not sure it is mine to decide if good/bad. But, if people choose that form of government, that is up to them. The method of choosing may sometimes be fatal to those who would choose otherwise, but that has happened with many forms of government over the years.

Likely the "good/bad" label would depend on the form of government that previously existed.

The problem being, no "communist" government yet conceived has allowed for meaningful input, by the people, as to the choice of system of government. Assuming (arguendo) that the intentions were noble at time of revolution, a governmental system which relies upon confiscation of wealth and property is doomed to devolve to essential totalitarianism by those implementing the confiscation - no matter how noble the goals.

And yes, we are headed that way ourselves...

Commies in russia certainly did not "choose " communism. Nor did they choose to live under a criminal like Putin. Without a free press, t.v. Etc. they only get one type of b.s. They are stuck. They thought when Putin took over, after glasnost that things would improve. I doubt many realized he was a kgb drone. One thing is assured. If it were not for the Russian army defeating the German army , we would probably be wearing swastikas! they lost millions upon millions of troops and civilians! We lost a fraction of this. Historians agree that the German army of ww2 was the best ever to fight, ever. As , for Cuba, if we do not offer a hand, Russia will for sure! easy to figure out!

Holy jeez, you need to be sent away for "re-education."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back