Ferrous material in oil filter, how much is too much?

If you are concerned, I like the idea of running 10-15 hours and changing the oil again. Good luck!

If you saved the metal shavings/bits, I think there are labs that can tell you with good certainty where it came from.

"My biggest concern is cam lobes or lifters disintegrating.".. and nothing but flying it will tell you if it's the cam going other than pulling a jug and looking. So fly it another 10 or so hours, change the oil and filter and keep your fingers crossed.

If you are concerned, I like the idea of running 10-15 hours and changing the oil again. Good luck!

If you saved the metal shavings/bits, I think there are labs that can tell you with good certainty where it came from.

No there are not! I went thru this exercise when my engine started making metal. Only one lab, with offices in Louisiana and Texas, claimed that they could (I don't recall their name right now). At the end of the day they couldn't. They were lying, plain and simple. $100 lesson learned.

There's a thread here somewhere on that.

Edit: Okay, I found it, Aviation Laboratories:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/aviation-laboratories-lying-bastards.86106/

and Tim....not to confuse which lab tests you are referring to....but, I bet they could've analyzed the filter and debris.....a simple oil sample would not have the same results nor would that even indicate. Large to medium sized particles do not indicate with the oil analysis.

@Checkout_my_Six

Ummm...I sent them "the oil filter and debris."

It was not just an oil analysis.

I said it a year ago and I'll say it again...

The folks at Aviation Laboratories are lying bastards!

Bbbbbut, it's science, and scientists never lie.
14088624_1623253017966945_3830600410683611007_n.png

Back