FCC License

Meliss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
goodjoojoo
Recently, I've been offered a job and told I need to acquire an FCC License. Can anyone explain to me what exactly it is and what the requirements are for it? How difficult is this to attain? I've looked it up and have not come across very much helpful material. Thank you in advance.

There are many kinds of FCC Licences. What is this for?

Umm, there are many dozens of FCC licenses.

An amateur technician license is probably a whole lot easier to get than a commercial radio station license.

Probably General Radiotelephone. About as hard as the PP knowledge test. I have one, but I got it in 1977 and I don't know how much has changed since then.

Last edited:
You can use your FAA airmans license (which serves as our radio operator ticket) plus $65ish bucks to get the FCC card

http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html
Our Pilot Certificates do not serve as a radio operator certificate here or anywhere else. The FCC simply does not require an FCC certificate for pilots using only aviation band radios inside the USA. Cross the US border, and your Airman Certificate is worthless for that purpose. Also, you do not need an Airman Certificate to get an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate -- just $65 and a properly filled-out Form 605.

Our Pilot Certificates do not serve as a radio operator certificate here or anywhere else. The FCC simply does not require an FCC certificate for pilots using only aviation band radios inside the USA. Cross the US border, and your Airman Certificate is worthless for that purpose. Also, you do not need an Airman Certificate to get an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate -- just $65 and a properly filled-out Form 605.

Yeah $65 and no exam and the 605 forum like I just said.

I never did the whole thing because I have a radio operators license from Canada from years back.

Assuming you're talking about the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit, you fill out a form (online) and pay a fee.

I got mine back in the 1970's, when it was free, and the form consisted of a signed statement that you needed the permit. It was printed on cardstock, along with the permit. You signed it and mailed it in, and they detached the card, stamped it, and mailed it back to you. Life was easier then...

Rich

I had one in the mid 80's. Everyone needed one back then, it was either free or 2 bucks. Remember tossing it when they were no longer required. 65 bucks for a do nothing license...

Assuming you're talking about the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit, you fill out a form (online) and pay a fee.

I got mine back in the 1970's, when it was free, and the form consisted of a signed statement that you needed the permit. It was printed on cardstock, along with the permit. You signed it and mailed it in, and they detached the card, stamped it, and mailed it back to you. Life was easier then...

Rich

Same thing here, I still have it in my wallet.

There are many kinds of FCC Licences. What is this for?

To fly for a 135... they didn't specify what kind of FCC license, just that I needed one. I will ask and find out, I didn't know there were several kinds. Thank you.

To fly for a 135... they didn't specify what kind of FCC license, just that I needed one. I will ask and find out, I didn't know there were several kinds. Thank you.

Huh... I fly for a 135 and they never asked for one or required one. For international stuff maybe

I'm guessing you're flying into Mexico, yep, you need a Restricted Radio Operator's license, easy.

Register as a new user on the FCC website and obtain a FRN (unless you already have one). Then you can login with the FRN and password to fill out the application for the, "RR - Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" which is a pain to navigate. I don't remember what steps I went through, but the website still looks the same after all these years so it's probably still a pain.

Rich

I got mine back in the 60s
A thread about this came up about a year or so ago and when I checked the FCC, they said they no longer had records of licenses issued during the mid 20th century and that I would have to re-apply -- which I did.
So, you might check to see if your certificate is still valid

Register as a new user on the FCC website and obtain a FRN (unless you already have one). Then you can login with the FRN and password to fill out the application for the, "RR - Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" which is a pain to navigate. I don't remember what steps I went through, but the website still looks the same after all these years so it's probably still a pain.

It's very much a pain. It's actually worse then it use to be. At least before the change people knew exactly where to find stuff.

I wish my Ham license would suffice the radio license requirement.

It will be the FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator license -- application on Form 605 and $65 is all you need for that. Probably because you may fly internationally. Canada and the Bahamas don't care, but anywhere else you may be asked to produce it as I was in the Turks & Caicos.

I got mine back in the 60s
A thread about this came up about a year or so ago and when I checked the FCC, they said they no longer had records of licenses issued during the mid 20th century and that I would have to re-apply -- which I did.
So, you might check to see if your certificate is still valid

Thank you. If I flew internationally I might do that... but probably not. If it were free I might, but not if they want money to issue me a new piece of meaningless paper to replace an old piece of meaningless paper. It's not as if you have to pass a test to obtain the permit. It's basically just a receipt for your payment.

I think the probability of being ramp-checked on foreign soil by an agent of that nation's government (which is the only circumstance under which the permit would be required), and of that agent being familiar enough with U.S. FCC regulations to know that a radio permit issued in 1976 is no longer valid, and then of that agent actually giving enough of a crap make an issue of it, would be pretty darn slim.

Rich

Thank you. If I flew internationally I might do that... but probably not. If it were free I might, but not if they want money to issue me a new piece of meaningless paper to replace an old piece of meaningless paper. It's not as if you have to pass a test to obtain the permit. It's basically just a receipt for your payment.

I think the probability of being ramp-checked on foreign soil by an agent of that nation's government (which is the only circumstance under which the permit would be required), and of that agent being familiar enough with U.S. FCC regulations to know that a radio permit issued in 1976 is no longer valid, and then of that agent actually giving enough of a crap make an issue of it, would be pretty darn slim.

Rich

Or rather being ramped by a FAA Fed on foreign soil without out a radio operstors license lol

Rich

Or rather being ramped by a FAA Fed on foreign soil without out a radio operstors license lol

Your chances of being ramped on foreign soil are higher than you think. I've had several ramp inspections across Asia, the Caribbean, Mexico as well as Central and South America. And yes, those various authorities know what they are looking for. Under ICAO it says you will have in your possession a Radio Telephone Operators permit (or certificate, license, etc) from the state in which you are certificated to operate.

If you think the FAA is bad, get on the bad side of one of these foreign CAA's. :eek:

Your chances of being asked about your radio license by an FAA Inspector are zero. The FAA doesn't enforce FCC rules, and radio licenses are not on the list of documents FAA Inspectors are directed by FAA Order 8900.1 to check on Ramp Inspections for operations under any Part including 121/135 commercial operators. In fact, Inspectors are told that if a pilot voluntarily hands them an FCC radio license unprompted, they are to hand it back unexamined.

As for foreign personnel, I have had my radio licenses checked by local authorities in the Turks & Caicos, and I have been told it's been done in Europe, especially France (the French having a particular bug up their Gaullic rectums regarding Americans).

Last edited:

Rich

Mexico is renowned for requiring their paperwork.

Mexico is renowned for requiring their paperwork.

My question is whether they would know, or care, that a permit issued in 1976, without an expiration date, might not be valid because FCC no longer has records that old. I kind of doubt it.

Rich

My question is whether they would know, or care, that a permit issued in 1976, without an expiration date, might not be valid because FCC no longer has records that old. I kind of doubt it.

Rich

Understand that these countries operate under the Annexes of ICAO. A state under ICAO will require an operator from another state to have certain documents in their possession when operating in their country.

If the Inspector says produce your documents, and he wants to see a pilot license (certificate), a valid medical, a radio telephone operator's permit (license, certificate, etc) along with a Cat 2/3 card (if applicable) a english proficiency endorsement (or certificate), aircraft registration, airworthiness, insurance papers, etc, etc......

I would never be foolish enough to assume a foreign Inspector will not know the difference, like I said earlier these guys make the FAA look tame.

Rich

Nope, if you have a piece of paper, it will suffice. They take my GMDSS as well.

Understand that these countries operate under the Annexes of ICAO. A state under ICAO will require an operator from another state to have certain documents in their possession when operating in their country.

If the Inspector says produce your documents, and he wants to see a pilot license (certificate), a valid medical, a radio telephone operator's permit (license, certificate, etc) along with a Cat 2/3 card (if applicable) a english proficiency endorsement (or certificate), aircraft registration, airworthiness, insurance papers, etc, etc......

I would never be foolish enough to assume a foreign Inspector will not know the difference, like I said earlier these guys make the FAA look tame.

Okay, then. You certainly would know better than I. If I ever have the need, I'll cough up the $65.00.

Rich

Yes, I was in Mexico and they wanted every damn piece of paper I could produce. It was quite a PITA... Seems to give them something to do.

Yes, I was in Mexico and they wanted every damn piece of paper I could produce. It was quite a PITA... Seems to give them something to do.

No, it's a way to pick up an extra $20 if you forgot something.

No, it's a way to pick up an extra $20 if you forgot something.
I was in a small BBQ joint in western TN a couple of weeks ago where they had a "No Checks" sign. I asked the young lady at the counter if a personal check was OK, and she looked a bit at a loss for something to say. Then I asked if it was OK if my name was Andrew Jackson and handed her a $20 bill. "Yes, sir, Mr. President," she said. I think that works well in Mexico, too. In fact, even if you have the right papers, a personal check from a dead president may still be necessary there.

I was in a small BBQ joint in western TN a couple of weeks ago where they had a "No Checks" sign. I asked the young lady at the counter if a personal check was OK, and she looked a bit at a loss for something to say. Then I asked if it was OK if my name was Andrew Jackson and handed her a $20 bill. "Yes, sir, Mr. President," she said. I think that works well in Mexico, too. In fact, even if you have the right papers, a personal check from a dead president may still be necessary there.

I was about to say, often, when a foreign national has any papers which are missing or "out of order", $$ grow in place of eyeballs. If you plan to fly internationally, $65 could be a lot cheaper than what a foreign government "official" thinks they can get out of you... And they don't even have to ask. Of course, if you don't mind the headache of hours of trying to get it straightened out,... then you are golden!

I was about to say, often, when a foreign national has any papers which are missing or "out of order", $$ grow in place of eyeballs. If you plan to fly internationally, $65 could be a lot cheaper than what a foreign government "official" thinks they can get out of you... And they don't even have to ask. Of course, if you don't mind the headache of hours of trying to get it straightened out,... then you are golden!

If you try the money trick in some parts of Asia it will most likely get you into more trouble than it's worth. :nono:

:)
Yeah,
Just ask Sgt Tahmooressi

Back