Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's (excellent?) Pole Barn Adventure

What in the world are you going to do with such a big garage??? You must have a lot of cars! Some of them must be pretty tall too! ;)

We finally feel we're in the home stretch!

1) We got back from a FL trip for my daughter's wedding to find the meter had been moved from the temp pole to the house. That means we have power! All the myriad switches and fixtures seem to work, as do the garage and bifold doors. Huge hurdle passed!

2) Karen said as of yesterday we have air conditioning!

3) Granite is ready to go in the kitchen later this week.

4) Shower glass has been ordered and is 2 or 3 weeks out.

Now working on some more grading and graveling and seeding and drainage paths outside. Plumbing needs to be finished up with toilets and vanity tops and sinks and stuff to be hooked up. But it does feel like the end is in sight.

As an aside, Karen is suggesting Sept 22 as a "hold that date" for a housewarming, if anyone cares to attend. Details to follow.

Last edited:
Great news! I've been wondering how this was progressing

Wow, Eddie! Making rapid progress. You're going to love this place when it's finished.

As an aside, Karen is suggesting Sept 22 as a "hold that date" for a housewarming, if anyone cares to attend. Details to follow.
Damn! I wish I were closer than clear across the continent; it sounds like fun. Congratulations, Eddie (on both finishing your new home and your daughter's wedding).

That's tremendous progress, Eddie! Congrats to you and Karen! It sounds like it's time to start picking the drapes, sheets and dishes!

With hot and cold running water, air conditioning and power, it’s starting to feel like home...

44414681541_239a2b1366_z.jpg

44414681821_786bf70088_z.jpg

With luck, Certificate of Occupancy in a week or two!

Looking good Eddie! Just in time for the beautiful TN fall!

Congrats to you and Karen, Eddie! That pole barn looks great, as does the scenery behind it! Beautiful! Are you going to keep the driveway as is with (what I think is) gravel? Or will you pave it?

Eddie, that looks GREAT! I hope you and Karen are very proud of the place. Just add a windsock and you’ll be KKFE International Airport!

That looks awesome! Now I need to buy a plane and lease some of that “barn” space for my “recreational vehicle”!

Congrats!

Up top we laid down some recycled asphalt on top of the gravel.

Paving, either asphalt or cement, will have to wait a while for the checkbook to recover!
I was wondering what that was. I hear you can have it compacted and it will harden again.

Furnace slag is another good option, if it's available locally. Packs down almost like asphalt . . . No steamroller required.

Although E. Tenn. should have ample supplies of chirt, which also packs down quite durably. Ask around, Eddie.

Glad to be “back in the saddle!” I had not flown my Sky Arrow in over 3 months, first recovering from minor hand/arm surgery, then needing to finish up my Annual Condition Inspection which expired the end of July. Monday I wrapped up the Annual and did the test flight. Yesterday flew up to our Tennessee home in progress and back. Felt great!

42681842310_f3187c0422_z.jpg

Headed home (short takeoff video):

Granite countertops should be finishing up today. Final Inspection and Certificate of Occupancy should be right around the corner!

No joy

From a quick phone call...

Our deck at the entryway will need a fence/gate or a step all the way around:

The fireproof door from the kitchen to the garage needs better sealing.
The utility room needs a fireproof door.

Maybe some other stuff was iffy. Will keep you all updated.

Grrrrr.

Last edited:
No joy

From a quick phone call...

Our deck at the entryway will need a fence/gate or a step all the way around:

The fireproof door from the kitchen to the garage needs better sealing.
The utility room needs a fireproof door.

Maybe some other stuff was iffy. Will keep you all updated.

Grrrrr.

Sounds like you used an insufficient amount of palm grease.

My thoughts exactly.

The other option was a step all the way around the deck. We had thought about a fence anyway in anticipation of a dog run at some point.

You must have really PO'd this inspector. As soon as you get the step installed, he's going to require a handrail. Then a wheelchair ramp. Next a motorized lift.

Hmmm, I'd ask about the rail, I thought it wasn't required until you have 2 or 3 steps. The fireproof door stuff could save your life one day.

Sorry FastEddieB. Pity you didn't show him the 6 foot deep mini-septic area and invite him into it to inspect. Just kidding!

In all seriousness, this inspector sounded really exacting. Now that he/she has seen it, probably best to just acquiesce and just do what's requested to get past the inspection and get the certificate of occupancy.

Good luck!

Not if you phrase the inquiry correctly. You ask for the code so that you can be sure that you build it correctly to be in full compliance.

I would think he quoted it on the report (or whatever) he may have given Karen?

Back