Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's (excellent?) Pole Barn Adventure

39898042860_a2dfd6519f_z.jpg

Oh Eddy, those Volunteer fans are gonna hate you! Roll Tide! :D

Put this on the side!

image.png

Last edited:
Roll Tide colors don't pass inspection in TN, Eddie. Look for a hefty fine and a cease and desist order until you start painting that place a proper orange!

Look what was waiting for us when we got home yesterday:

26889901637_af1458b94e_z.jpg

Just examined and tested all 7 and they're undamaged and functioning properly.

No fixtures get hung until final electrical inspection - that should be some time this coming week.

Eddie, how much were the 4 footers? and how bright, 3,4 or 5k, if you know. Manufacturer? I need to add additional lighting before my Plane comes. Thx

Not that kind of weed.

Last week has been mostly grading and moving a bunch of dirt around, and working on HVAC ducting:

41953719282_b4815acb87_z.jpg

41953718502_274534b590_z.jpg

The ducting on the garage side, seen here, can stay exposed.

Waiting on some special order windows to arrive to finish the siding.

Slow but steady progress does it.

Quick trip up and back yesterday.

Good news:

They're moving mountains of dirt around still.

28265606908_f94bcab7af_z.jpg

To avoid trucking it elsewhere, the owner of the strip is using the extra to fill in next to the runway for future construction:

42099820622_e0d6f9fdab_z.jpg

The septic tanks (septic and pump tank) have been set and the drain field started:

27267119247_61b453c759_z.jpg

28265607298_1fc9796d4d_z.jpg

The "grey water" has to be pumped uphill to the only good location for the drain field.

Now, the bad news:

The framing inspector says that as a "garage", that area needs to be "finished". That means drywall over all the wood portions and a ceiling installed, and drywall over the OSB we were going to leave bare:

41418026724_e8cafc0ac4_z.jpg

41418026834_1bd8aa4f6a_z.jpg

Needless to say, a lot more expense.

In addition, the windows in the stairwell have to go, unless fireproof versions can be found. Same for the sliding glass door we had intended for access from the house.

Sigh.

A garage has to finished. Ridiculous. Has he shown you the ordinance for that requirement?

A garage has to finished. Ridiculous. Has he shown you the ordinance for that requirement?
It's attached to living space. At a minimum the wall between the garage and living space has to be fire rated. That's been code for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see that any walls attached to the living space have to be fire rated. I haven't looked at that section of code in a long, long, long time.

It's attached to living space. At a minimum the wall between the garage and living space has to be fire rated. That's been code for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see that any walls attached to the living space have to be fire rated. I haven't looked at that section of code in a long, long, long time.

Thanks, makes sense.

Be careful using the term 'garage' as well. IIRC, there is something in the code that says the floor has to be sloped a certain amount toward the door opening if engine/flammable materials are stored in the 'garage'. We told the inspector it is no an equipment 'garage', just a 'workshop'. :)

That’s how ours is, and a steel fire rated door between garage and house.

I’m way more likely (as is everyone else, by the numbers) to set the kitchen on fire than my garage, but it is what it is... if I did any welding out there, that risk assessment would change.

Just got home from a visit.

The rest of the custom side windows arrived and got installed:

41384150895_968c844e84_z.jpg

Opens up the upstairs "office" (windows overlooking the runway delivered but not yet installed):

41384167885_385373c49d_z.jpg

Upstairs bedroom window installed and siding finished on two sides:

41564476534_6ac4426222_z.jpg

41384152785_b01fbee8a7_z.jpg

Insulation install ongoing.

Bit of a delay getting the electric for the septic pump approved, before they can do a final inspection of the septic and drain field to close them up.

Baby steps...

Big place, how much sq ft for the hangar and for living space?

No "hangar", but the garage area is about 50'x40', plus a smaller garage. The two stories of living space are about 1,300 sq ft.

Looks good. Will this become your permanent home, or will you keep the place near 1A3 as well?

Looks good. Will this become your permanent home, or will you keep the place near 1A3 as well?

Probably some time over the next 10-20 years we may move up there permanently to be closer to the kids and grandkids and better medical care. At 68, I'm doing reasonably well. Harder to say what 78, 88 and 98 may look like. :eek:

Back