Far Aim memorization list

David Anthony

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David A
I am currently working on my CFI and have been building lesson plans. Through my lesson plan building, I have seen how many different FAR's are referenced on the lesson plans I bought (backseat pilot). Obviously I should know where to find my references and I have my far aim tabbed well, but does anyone know of any lists out there that give the most commonly referenced FAR's as a review guide to study? I see different FAR's being thrown everywhere but it would be great to have them all in one spot to reference quicker and to study from. Kind of a long shot question but I thought it was worth a chance.

The hard part of being a CFI is you kinda need to know all of them. The nice thing is it's an open book test really. It's less important to memorize the FARs and more important to know where to look to find the answers to the questions, especially the ones your students will throw at you.

Obviously I should know where to find my references and I have my far aim tabbed well, but does anyone know of any lists out there that give the most commonly referenced FAR's as a review guide to study?
If it were me, I'd highlight the FAR contents in different colors indicating the ones of most interest to, say, student pilots, VFR pilots, IFR pilots, commercial pilots, etc.

You won't get many answers I think because most pilots never pick up a far/aim after their checkrides. There's really no reason to memorize any of it, as there's an index for checkride day, and after that there's this thing called the internet. I actually Googled a question during my IR oral, and then verified the answer I found in the FAR. In my experience they want the test to reflect what you'd do in real life.

There is one section worth remembering for easy lookup...91.205 & 213. Remembering those avoids having to memorize that godawful flaming tomato acronym, and it's guaranteed to be covered in the oral. 5 years down the road when something is broken, you can just type "91.205" into Google and it'll instantly pop it up.... that acronym will be LOOONG gone from your brain by then.

I am currently working on my CFI and have been building lesson plans. Through my lesson plan building, I have seen how many different FAR's are referenced on the lesson plans I bought (backseat pilot). Obviously I should know where to find my references and I have my far aim tabbed well, but does anyone know of any lists out there that give the most commonly referenced FAR's as a review guide to study? I see different FAR's being thrown everywhere but it would be great to have them all in one spot to reference quicker and to study from. Kind of a long shot question but I thought it was worth a chance.
I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Do you realize the FAR and the AIM are organized by subject matter and have tables of contents? That may be the list you are looking for?
Have you picked up that Part 61 is about pilot certificates and ratings and divided into subparts covering general information and each certificate and rating separately?

Ha. I just wish they'd stop calling it FAR/AIM, since "FAR" ceased to mean "Federal Aviation Regulation" about seventeen years ago. Can't use it in any certification document unless it refers to a legacy certification.
But 14 CFR / AIM ain't catchy. I get that.

Ha. I just wish they'd stop calling it FAR/AIM, since "FAR" ceased to mean "Federal Aviation Regulation" about seventeen years ago. Can't use it in any certification document unless it refers to a legacy certification.
But 14 CFR / AIM ain't catchy. I get that.
eyeRollAnimSml.gif
"FAR" in administrative practice more commonly refers to the "Federal Acquisition Regulation," the body of laws and regulations which deal with government contracts for decades. 48 C.F.R. (that "FAR") applies to a much broader spectrum of activity than Title 14 (our "FAR").

But there is nothing whatsoever wrong with calling our Title 14 regulations the "Federal Aviation Regulations," or ""FAA Regulations" or FAR" for short. Much bigger issues are probably thinking that the paperback book you buy is actually current and thinking that there is a single document called the "FARAIM".

Back