Facebook morons

I hate businesses that only use Facebook and don’t have a real website. Lame.

I'm not on facebook, so I just don't patronize businesses whose presence is facebook only. Give me a website if you want me to give you my money.

I think we’d all prefer it that way, but when your friends and family are littered across the United States, it becomes challenging, thus the purpose for social media.

They make this device call the telephone that you can use to call people and actually talk to them. Some of them you can even send pictures directly or video chat without broadcasting it to the world.

They make this device call the telephone that you can use to call people and actually talk to them. Some of them you can even send pictures directly or video chat without broadcasting it to the world.
You can post stuff on Facebook without broadcasting it to the world too. Who gets to see posts is under the control of the poster.

You can post stuff on Facebook without broadcasting it to the world too. Who gets to see posts is under the control of the poster.
This. It seems the people who complain the loudest have obviously never gone to Facebook or they would know how it works.

You are posting "to the world" much more on POA.

People puzzle over why I don't have a Facebook account, and won't get one. Then they wonder why I don't patronize their business when their only web page is a Facebook page, half to 2/3 covered with a big login box for Facebook that won't go away -- and they have no idea it's there, because, like, EVERYBODY is signed into Facebook, right?

Sigh. That reminds me, I need to go delete my Twitter account. Another site that's absolutely nothing more than a time suck and data mining exercise.

I held off for years. I have worked with computers since 1988, and had been on the internet when it was mostly universities, etc. with email (text only back then), newsgroups, mail lists, chat, etc.
When Facebook came out I didn’t get it. It is still a very clumsy, ham handed app, that unlike my experience with Unix, etc, I’m never sure about settings, what they are supposed to do, and if they actually do it, how to test. I never saw it as a thought out application, or anything new really. Inferior.

But I play in a band and to get a presence, gigs, etc, it turned out we just had to be members. So then I started using it minimally. My flight club seems to post more, and more pertinent info on Facebook than on their website.

It’s one of those deals where the community around us kind of push that all have it. Our children, who have children are really forced to have it to be informed about school activities, etc. like they stopped offering other options.

I don’t post much to mine.
I don’t much like Facebook.

I hate businesses that only use Facebook and don’t have a real website. Lame.

They're right up there with businesses that use a Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo! address as their business email address. No thank you.

Rich

I guess it's not for everyone. Our EAA Chapter uses it to broadcast event that are upcoming as well as on our website. Also have pages for our Summer Camp and Flying Start events. You can target advertising nicely that way.

I'm not on facebook, so I just don't patronize businesses whose presence is facebook only. Give me a website if you want me to give you my money.
Can't you just read a business facebook page without a facebook account?

I hate facebook as much as anyone, but my business had both a facebook account and a website. The important, stable information went on the website, but it was more difficult to keep up and change on a timely basis. The business facebook account was a good way to get news items and alerts out. And with facebook, you don't have to be sure to delete old messages (come in today for our holiday sale). It just rolls to the bottom where people expect it to go.

My flight club seems to post more, and more pertinent info on Facebook than on their website.

And that is an example of one of my biggest issues with Fb. Making it your main or only online presence as a business or organization. Why a business would post more info on fb than on their normal website, I do not understand.

Everyone with a computer has a web browser which is all they need to view a normal organization or business website. You don’t need to use fb or necessarily be a member of anything or be signed in in order to see the basic website.

A domain is pretty cheap and building a basic website isn’t all that hard. Why not do it?

I’ll give my business to a dot com or a dot org long before one only on fb.

Can't you just read a business facebook page without a facebook account?

I hate facebook as much as anyone, but my business had both a facebook account and a website. The important, stable information went on the website, but it was more difficult to keep up and change on a timely basis. The business facebook account was a good way to get news items and alerts out. And with facebook, you don't have to be sure to delete old messages (come in today for our holiday sale). It just rolls to the bottom where people expect it to go.

Visit your site from a private/incognito browser on both a phone and pc to see the clumsy FB signup ads directly on top of your business site. Try to scroll around without an account.

There is a significant market that doesn’t use FB, and has no respect for businesses that try to force them onto the platform. And that group seems to be growing - including the next young generation who despises it. It’s lazy marketing.

If a local business only put their information on MySpace, would you create an account there too??

Clearly you missed my point. Telephones don’t let you see and hear from someone in person either. You can also control who sees what on every social media outlet there is, unlike here.

Clearly you missed my point. Telephones don’t let you see and hear from someone in person either. You can also control who sees what on every social media outlet there is, unlike here.

Well, there is the other point that POA doesn’t mine my contact list, track the sites I visit, sell my personal information to marketers, and leak my passwords.

h330E1FA4

Visit your site from a private/incognito browser on both a phone and pc to see the clumsy FB signup ads directly on top of your business site. Try to scroll around without an account.

I just tried this from a private window on a PC, and while the sign-in banner does cover the bottom quarter of the page, I had no trouble scrolling or navigating to whatever I wanted to see. On my phone, I don't know how to set the browser to private/incognito mode, but I did it without being logged into my Facebook account, and the results were even better, because I had no difficulty dismissing the sign-in pop-up.

There is a significant market that doesn’t use FB, and has no respect for businesses that try to force them onto the platform. And that group seems to be growing - including the next young generation who despises it. It’s lazy marketing....

For a small business with limited means, I don't care whether their marketing is lazy; I only care about whether I'm able to find what I'm looking for. I do agree that using Facebook as your only business Webpage would be non-optimal. For one thing, Facebook's search window does not appear when I'm not logged in, so it would be necessary to find the URL by other means.

I do the FB, but keep my info pretty tight. I keep up with pilots and family. I started getting odd friend requests right after I got on, then realized I could restrict those requests to friends of friends and the Ruskie bots went away.

This. It seems the people who complain the loudest have obviously never gone to Facebook or they would know how it works.

You are posting "to the world" much more on POA.
I am on Facebook, it can be a time suck for sure, but I sell at least 3 or 4 vehicles every month to people who contact me on Facebook. It's not for everyone, but my relatives in Ireland and England can keep up with us and our kids. I don't like their tracking and marketing, but it's the way of the world now, just think about something and you'll see an ad on Facebook or Google!

I just tried this from a private window on a PC, and while the sign-in banner does cover the bottom quarter of the page, I had no trouble scrolling or navigating to whatever I wanted to see. On my phone, I don't know how to set the browser to private/incognito mode, but I did it without being logged into my Facebook account, and the results were even better, because I had no difficulty dismissing the sign-in pop-up.

For a small business with limited means, I don't care whether their marketing is lazy; I only care about whether I'm able to find what I'm looking for. I do agree that using Facebook as your only business Webpage would be non-optimal. For one thing, Facebook's search window does not appear when I'm not logged in, so it would be necessary to find the URL by other means.

Ok, here’s an example. You think this is customer friendly?

https://m.facebook.com/ElPasoSlidell/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Pull up the Facebook page on a phone. Am immediately met by a Facebook login request covering the top 40% of my screen.

14j2hc5.png

Scroll past that to find the review tab and I am met with another pop up, covering ~ 30% of the bottom of my screen.

2wegsav.png

Fat finger around to hit the little x and dismiss, select “reviews” and presto, another top blocking ad.

20gcktx.png

Scroll past that to read the reviews, and a bottom blocking ad pops up.

2zg87yo.png

Oh, and if I don’t fat finger and kill the bottom one, Facebook intentionally hobbles scrolling to little spurts of one or two reviews at a time until the bottom ad is killed.

Rinse and repeat every time another tab is selected.

Garbage. Don’t make your customers work to use your crappy choice of site.

If I’m on the phone using your site, I’m probably pulled over in my car trying to look you up quickly to spend $$ at your business. And am getting jacked around on a tiny screen.

(Disclosure, this business may very likely have a web site as well. I randomly pulled up a FB restaurant as an example)

Last edited:
The biggest problem with facebook is the amount of advertisements, 99% of the stories are nothing but click bait for an advertiser.

The biggest problem with facebook is the amount of advertisements, 99% of the stories are nothing but click bait for an advertiser.

... you forgot the antivax, colon cleansing, and Russian election meddling stories. ;)

Ok, here’s an example. You think this is customer friendly?

https://m.facebook.com/ElPasoSlidell/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Pull up the Facebook page on a phone. Am immediately met by a Facebook login request covering the top 40% of my screen.

14j2hc5.png

Scroll past that to find the review tab and I am met with another pop up, covering ~ 30% of the bottom of my screen.

2wegsav.png

Fat finger around to hit the little x and dismiss, select “reviews” and presto, another top blocking ad.

20gcktx.png

Scroll past that to read the reviews, and a bottom blocking ad pops up.

2zg87yo.png

Oh, and if I don’t fat finger and kill the bottom one, Facebook intentionally hobbles scrolling to little spurts of one or two reviews at a time until the bottom ad is killed.

Rinse and repeat every time another tab is selected.

Garbage. Don’t make your customers work to use your crappy choice of site.

If I’m on the phone using your site, I’m probably pulled over in my car trying to look you up quickly to spend $$ at your business. And am getting jacked around on a tiny screen.

(Disclosure, this business may very likely have a web site as well. I randomly pulled up a FB restaurant as an example)
I tried it, and it just doesn't seem that difficult to me, but I already agreed that relying on Facebook as the sole Web presence for a business is not optimal.

Facebook is what want it to be. You can unfriend or unfollow anyone you want. I only post airplane photos or aviation events, etc. I don’t care about your religious or political beliefs and I unfollow people who post that type of thing. Keeps me calm!

You guys should use Pa$$w0rd instead of password. Most sites have requirements that password won't meet and Pa$$w0rd is a more complex, secure password.;)

You guys should use Pa$$w0rd instead of password. Most sites have requirements that password won't meet and Pa$$w0rd is a more complex, secure password.;)

On most of our systems, it’s 2 upper case, 2 lower case, 2 special characters and 2 numbers and no more than 3 characters from any previous password nor can it be a word in the English dictionary. Recycling of passwords is prohibited.

Seriously.

In Mexico, Facebook is "the internet". Companies down here find creating/updating a facebook page to be easier than a web site.

I don't like it. But it's the reality of life here.

I have a fake account with a fake name.

I don't post anything, and don't "like" anything.

A domain is pretty cheap and building a basic website isn’t all that hard. Why not do it?

I’ll give my business to a dot com or a dot org long before one only on fb.
Have you met the average person? Facebook gives them a way to post their business "On the internet" with basically 0 skill, and allows them to post updates with no skill at all, they can do it from their phone. Sure you can setup a website to do that, but then they'd have to figure out what a website is, what a domain is, what a godaddy is, what a wordpress is. Or they just click 'make account' on the same app they already use to post all the details of their private lives since they don't understand privacy settings.

Facebook is what want it to be. You can unfriend or unfollow anyone you want. I only post airplane photos or aviation events, etc. I don’t care about your religious or political beliefs and I unfollow people who post that type of thing. Keeps me calm!

So...an echo chamber...

So...an echo chamber...
In a way, yes. I think of it more like I’m going to an aviation website, similar to POA. I don’t come here to learn about or discuss politics.

So...an echo chamber...

What would be an echo chamber in his scenario? It’s like having a closed group which only discusses non-religious and non-political topics. Sort of like this forum . . . Only without a central theme.

What would be an echo chamber in his scenario? It’s like having a closed group which only discusses non-religious and non-political topics. Sort of like this forum . . . Only without a central theme.

An echo chamber is creating an environment where the only thing I hear are things that make me comfortable, whether they are right or wrong. It’s more like here if you could squelch all the ideas that make you crazy, like anyone who flies high wing, nose draggers, Bo/non Bo owners. I have no idea which category eman would fall into on that last one.

In short, you insulate yourself against any new idea and create a group that reinforces everything you think you know.

Myself and my area of the country are predominately pro-trump. Ive noticed for a long time that all my facebook feed is pro-trump and all I see are posts bashing the other side. I think its unhealthy to not see both sides of an argument. If all you see are posts supporting your side then you believe strongly your belief is right without taking consideration of other peoples point of view. It can't be good and in part may be what's wrong with our country right now.

In my case it’s not that, I just choose where and when I want to get my information. On Facebook, political conversations tend to get nasty. They have leaned that way here until moderators put a stop to it. I’m my own moderator.

Besides, if I want affirmations of my beliefs, I can choose CNN or Fox depending on which team I side with. That’s an echo chamber.

Myself and my area of the country are predominately pro-trump. Ive noticed for a long time that all my facebook feed is pro-trump and all I see are posts bashing the other side. I think its unhealthy to not see both sides of an argument. If all you see are posts supporting your side then you believe strongly your belief is right without taking consideration of other peoples point of view. It can't be good and in part may be what's wrong with our country right now.
I see hatred from people along these lines. I’ve seen people say if you don’t believe in their beliefs, you’re an idiot. What I’ve never seen is someone say, “You’re right, I agree. I’m changing political parties.” They’re usually posting so their friends will tell them how right they are. I’ve got better things to do with my time. And, the beauty of it is, I really don’t care if this philosophy upsets anyone.

Back