Facebook morons

It's sad that so many people tie their lives and self-worth to FecesBook. That's what's stoopid. ;)

It's sad that so many people tie their lives and self-worth to FecesBook. That's what's stoopid. ;)
But how can I validate my worth in life if random people don't like the pictures of me and my **** covered kids?

Not sure it's stupid; more like incompetent, or slothful, and amateurish.

A Silicon Valley CEO told my organization that the "S" in IoT stands for security. . .

That sh*t right there is worthy of billions in fines and penalties. Not millions, billions.

The only way to get these companies to respect consumer data, and not leave it vulnerable to identity theft and hacking, is to punish them severely right where it hurts. The bottom line.

Now I have no sympathy for morons who post damaging info on social media. That's the moron's fault, not the provider. But when providers like Facebook treat consumer with such contempt like this, if I were in charge, I'd come within a heartbeat of bankrupting them, and I wouldn't be past throwing the CEO in prison for a few months for letting it happen.

I've never understood the things some people will post online. But I do enjoy fb. I keep up with friends as well as people I haven't seen in 30-40 years, and will probably never see in real life again, scattered around the world. A handful of people I used to work with post family pictures and events and I like having a rough idea of how they're doing. I post a few humorous items for/about my wife and kids.

But I ALWAYS use my ipad to post because it has no other information about me on it. I use it solely for browsing fb and adult sites.

I don't trust fb, google, etc. and haven't for years. My beef with with fb began 10 years ago or so when my wife borrowed my phone and soon after I started getting calls from people who shouldn't have my number (that I kept very tightly controlled). I finally asked a guy I went to HS with how he got my #, "it's on your facebook profile". Apparently, my wife had downloaded the app on my phone and fb grabbed a whole lot of info and put it out for the world to see. From what I understand they don't do that anymore, but that was enough for me to never trust them again.

People puzzle over why I don't have a Facebook account, and won't get one. Then they wonder why I don't patronize their business when their only web page is a Facebook page, half to 2/3 covered with a big login box for Facebook that won't go away -- and they have no idea it's there, because, like, EVERYBODY is signed into Facebook, right?

Sigh. That reminds me, I need to go delete my Twitter account. Another site that's absolutely nothing more than a time suck and data mining exercise.

"Enter your password"
"password"
"Incorrect password. Please enter your password"
"password"
"password"
"Resetting your password. Please enter a new password"
"password"
"Cannot re-use password. Please choose a new password"

"Enter your password"
"password"
"password"
"password"
"password"
I see your problem. You should have typed "your password".

"Enter your password"
"password"
"password"
"password"
"password"
“****ing ********!” usually works.

I had a Facebook account because that was the only way to connect to my mechanic. I got another mechanic and never looked at Facebook again. Since then I have a new phone and new computer.

I have two dozen personal online accounts, each requiring a password with its own unique requirements, although when possible I try to use the same password for everything.

For work I have a dozen systems I have to log on to, each with its own unique requirements, but those requirements vary so widely that I can't use the same password for any two. The primary system though requires 17 characters of which one must be capitalized, one must be a number and one must be a special character. The one thing they all have in common is that they must all be changed every 30 days. And you can't keep the same one and just change the number...it looks for things like that.

I was telling dad just yesterday, "the world is turning upside down."

I was on Facebook in 2010-11 because the softball team I was on only made announcements/game changes via facebook. Got rid of it after I no long played on that team.

I have two dozen personal online accounts, each requiring a password with its own unique requirements, although when possible I try to use the same password for everything.

For work I have a dozen systems I have to log on to, each with its own unique requirements, but those requirements vary so widely that I can't use the same password for any two. The primary system though requires 17 characters of which one must be capitalized, one must be a number and one must be a special character. The one thing they all have in common is that they must all be changed every 30 days. And you can't keep the same one and just change the number...it looks for things like that.

I was telling dad just yesterday, "the world is turning upside down."

I absolutely hate those. I won't even bother creating a log in for those. Luckily, where I am I get to decide what the password requirements are.

I’m on Facebook, but I rarely ever post anything. It’s more or less a way to see what other people are up to (nosey).

Several of the friends I have on there post way too much information and like to let everyone know what they’re doing at all times, I’m not that public of a person.

Dang. I do xxx@yyy###. xxx is an abbreviation of my company, yyy is the client's company, and ### is a sequential number that I increment on password change day. If @Gerhardt is correct I'll need a new progression.

Oh the humanity.

It's amazing that FecesBook manages to stay in business, what with a new hack, crack, breach, or scandal making the news every week or two. They may be only slightly more evil than Google, but they're much less competent at things like basic data hygiene.

I also got a kick out of a friend of mine who warned me that I shouldn't use Amazon because they data-mine (which they do, to an extent). When I asked him how he found out -- he's not a tech maven -- he told me that he read it on Facebook.

Rich

Funny story. A large corporation where I may or may not have worked in the past had many, many diverse systems, most with unique password requirements. Apparently someone sat down and figured out what would satisfy all of them. The required password format now is EXACTLY eight characters, with a lengthy list of requirements for upper/lower case, digits, narrow subset of punctuation, no more than X sequential characters from the name or employee ID, and so on. Of course it can't be one of your previous 10 passwords, and you have to change it every X days. In the end, the requirements are so restrictive that a good number of people use easily predicable sequences for their password.

It's amazing that FecesBook manages to stay in business, what with a new hack, crack, breach, or scandal making the news every week or two. They may be only slightly more evil than Google, but they're much less competent at things like basic data hygiene.

I also got a kick out of a friend of mine who warned me that I shouldn't use Amazon because they data-mine (which they do, to an extent). When I asked him how he found out -- he's not a tech maven -- he told me that he read it on Facebook.

Rich
Bwaaaahahaha. Well, it must be true, then.

People puzzle over why I don't have a Facebook account, and won't get one. Then they wonder why I don't patronize their business when their only web page is a Facebook page .

I hate businesses that only use Facebook and don’t have a real website. Lame.

I joined Facebook to vote for my daughter in a contest.

I got a friend request from a guy at church, and I told him face-to-face that I don’t “do” Facebook.

I got a friend request from a former coworker that I pretty much have no respect for, and closed the account.

...when possible I try to use the same password for everything.
That practice may substantially increase your risk, because when one of a person's accounts is hacked, rumor has it that the hackers often try the same password on that person's other accounts.

Too much oversharing on FarceBook. I'd much rather see/hear things from my friends and family in person.

I like to read about and seeing what others are doing on FB.

Back