FAA warns about using Samsung Galaxy 7 on airplanes

Some articles are calling it a replacement. Some are saying refurbished. Either way he did have a new box according to some sources. I have to say the Note 7 is the best phone out there and it's a shame it's having these issues.
Agreed. I love this phone.

Very seriously considering it for iPhone replacement. Also looking at Borg, cough, Google Pixel.

For those that have the Note 7, any of you plug them in via USB to car stereo gear? Seems to be a big weakness of the Android stuff, compared to how many things support Apple because the old iPod interfaces worked eons ago, and the phones emulate it.

I've kinda gotten partial to my steering wheel controls in two vehicles working flawlessly with the iphones, no matter what model it's been for years, just by plugging them into the USB ports of the Kenwood aftermarket systems of different model numbers in each.

Very seriously considering it for iPhone replacement. Also looking at Borg, cough, Google Pixel.

For those that have the Note 7, any of you plug them in via USB to car stereo gear? Seems to be a big weakness of the Android stuff, compared to how many things support Apple because the old iPod interfaces worked eons ago, and the phones emulate it.

I've kinda gotten partial to my steering wheel controls in two vehicles working flawlessly with the iphones, no matter what model it's been for years, just by plugging them into the USB ports of the Kenwood aftermarket systems of different model numbers in each.

I use audio over Bluetooth and the steering wheel controls work.

Argh. I want the cable. No Bluetooth.
I would do the N7 just for the AMOLED alone. iPhone not having it is mind bowing. But if the iPhone 7 owners want it they have to buy it next year so it makes sense coming from T. Cook's place. The expandable memory alone also give it the advantage over the iPhone. No more "memory full messages'.

Got my replacement N7 the day Verizon got them in stock. They will pry this phone from my cold dead hands.

I would do the N7 just for the AMOLED alone. iPhone not having it is mind bowing. But if the iPhone 7 owners want it they have to buy it next year so it makes sense coming from T. Cook's place. The expandable memory alone also give it the advantage over the iPhone. No more "memory full messages'.

The feature set of the android stuff is very compelling. Apple hasn't been compelling since about iPhone 6+ which explains why I'm currently there. And even that wasn't anything but catch-up to the phablet sizes.

What I'm reading online about Android and playing tunes is relatively meh though -- still no reasonable API for that which is consistent.

And worse, it appears that Samsung dorks with stuff that "kinda works" on only the Note lineup. Not the standard Galaxy lineup.

BT audio sucks. Even A2DP. That's why I don't want an iPhone 7.

It's kinda weird they don't have "play digital audio through a cable" sorted yet. There's always copying all the crap to a USB stick, but that seems like a huge step backward when all my vehicles could do this right with a hard drive iPod ten or more years ago. Hmm.

Still keeping a close watch on my washing machine. Unfortunately it does fit in the luggage sizer so so it has to go in the hold.

Cheers

Yea the screen on this thing is incredible. I don't think I could ever use up the 64GB internal memory but it's nice knowing that I could add a MicroSD card if I did.

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd has suspended production of its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, a source said on Monday, after reports of fires in replacement devices added to the tech giant's worst ever recall crisis.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-samsung-electronics-smartphones-idUSKCN1290XH

There was a warning on the airline website when I purchased some tickets the other day. We also got an email to include all Galaxy note 7s (even replacements) in passenger safety briefings.

I'm keeping mine unless they have another mandatory recall. I'll swap the SIM card into my Galaxy S5 for the rare occasion I fly commercial.

I'm keeping mine unless they have another mandatory recall. I'll swap the SIM card into my Galaxy S5 for the rare occasion I fly commercial.
And they are gone. World wide recall with no replacement option.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

And they are gone. World wide recall with no replacement option.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
I don't see a source for a recall. The have just stopped manufacturing them temporarily and have urged users to turn them off. Not exactly a recall but we're not far away from it. I ended up switching out yesterday for a S7 and will miss the N7 dearly. Nothing else comes close and it's a shame.

I don't see a source for a recall. The have just stopped manufacturing them temporarily and have urged users to turn them off. Not exactly a recall but we're not far away from it. I ended up switching out yesterday for a S7 and will miss the N7 dearly. Nothing else comes close and it's a shame.

They're discontinuing the Note 7 permanently. I switched my service back to my old S5. There's nothing else on the market that interests me at all after having the Note 7 for two weeks. Such a bummer.

They're discontinuing the Note 7 permanently. I switched my service back to my old S5. There's nothing else on the market that interests me at all after having the Note 7 for two weeks. Such a bummer.
The greatest phone that never was. The history books have been written. I thought about downgrading to iPhone 7+ but in the end couldn't do it because of the apple eco system that can't be customized. I ended up with the s7edge and will buy the s8 edge when it comes next spring.

The greatest phone that never was. The history books have been written. I thought about downgrading to iPhone 7+ but in the end couldn't do it because of the apple eco system that can't be customized. I ended up with the s7edge and will buy the s8 edge when it comes next spring.

It really was the greatest phone ever made, besides the whole fire hazard thing. I can't do Apple either. I think I'm just going to hold on to my S5 until the S8 Edge comes out. It still works great and it's paid off. I'd rather not pay outright for a phone, so doing a payment plan limits my options for upgrading after just 4 or 5 months. Otherwise I'd probably get the S7 Edge too.

It really was the greatest phone ever made, besides the whole fire hazard thing. I can't do Apple either. I think I'm just going to hold on to my S5 until the S8 Edge comes out. It still works great and it's paid off. I'd rather not pay outright for a phone, so doing a payment plan limits my options for upgrading after just 4 or 5 months. Otherwise I'd probably get the S7 Edge too.
Probably better to hold off and hope they give the S8 edge the notes curve. The s7 edge has a different curve and accidental touches are a pain. I will probably get the S8e then get the note 8 (probably be called s8 XL) or something along those lines.

It's really too bad they didn't execute right. As long as they build a replacement it shoud arrive sometime around when Apple forces obsolescence of my devices via another bloated iOS release.

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), today announced it is issuing an emergency order to ban all Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone devices from air transportation in the United States. Individuals who own or possess a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device may not transport the device on their person, in carry-on baggage, or in checked baggage on flights to, from, or within the United States. This prohibition includes all Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices. The phones also cannot be shipped as air cargo. The ban will be effective on Saturday, October 15, 2016, at noon ET.

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-bans-all-samsung-galaxy-note7-phones-airplanes

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), today announced it is issuing an emergency order to ban all Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone devices from air transportation in the United States. Individuals who own or possess a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device may not transport the device on their person, in carry-on baggage, or in checked baggage on flights to, from, or within the United States. This prohibition includes all Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices. The phones also cannot be shipped as air cargo. The ban will be effective on Saturday, October 15, 2016, at noon ET.

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-bans-all-samsung-galaxy-note7-phones-airplanes

I guess they didn't trust the anti-fire packaging Samsung has been shipping to people to send them back.

Also explains why Samsung had to kill the thing outright after starting a return and repair plan.

They can't get them to where they need to be to repair them by any other means than cargo ship or find a facility on this continent to repair them at, either of which will take way too long.

They probably had a heads up on the air cargo ban clear back when they announced the thing was over.

So what's the over/under on the number of folks that will still try to sneak their phones on the plane.

Brian

Anyone compared the new Google Pixel?
No expandable memory, no water proof, no stylus, and just too "bezel-y". Might as well get an iPhone. It's missing all the key features that the iPhone are missing.

Well are they going to check everyones phones? Most people don't know a note 7 from an S7. It's going to be interesting. I'll see tonorrow when I ride an airline if they say anything to me.

I don't want to read the 60+ replies prior to mine, so please indulge me if someone has suggested a similar reaction to my situation. You'd think that self preservation would prevent someone from turning on a Note 7 in an aircraft. Fires on aircraft have resulted in conflagrations and death.

But that doesn't account for the nitwits with cell phones. I was on a SWA flight from DAL to ABQ today. After the doors were shut and the engines started, a guy a row ahead of me continued to talk on his phone.

A flight attendant noticed, approached the guy and politely told him it was time to hang up. He continued to talk. A minute passed, and he was still on. The flight attendant was a bit more forceful, yet the phone conversation continued.

By this time I'm wondering if there would be repercussions should I rip the phone out of the guy's hand, drop it on the aisle, and stomp it into a barely recognizable close flying formation of plastic parts.

I just don't understand these people.

I don't want to read the 60+ replies prior to mine, so please indulge me if someone has suggested a similar reaction to my situation. You'd think that self preservation would prevent someone from turning on a Note 7 in an aircraft. Fires on aircraft have resulted in conflagrations and death.

But that doesn't account for the nitwits with cell phones. I was on a SWA flight from DAL to ABQ today. After the doors were shut and the engines started, a guy a row ahead of me continued to talk on his phone.

A flight attendant noticed, approached the guy and politely told him it was time to hang up. He continued to talk. A minute passed, and he was still on. The flight attendant was a bit more forceful, yet the phone conversation continued.

By this time I'm wondering if there would be repercussions should I rip the phone out of the guy's hand, drop it on the aisle, and stomp it into a barely recognizable close flying formation of plastic parts.

I just don't understand these people.

The airlines will need to start taking some draconian type measures for the self absorbed a$$##@*s and just kick them off the airplane for interfering with a flight crew. No refund of ticket, just ba-bye....have a nice day and oh, you're now on the black list and may never fly on XYZ airline again. Word gets out the airlines are serious about enforcement and maybe, just maybe, the problem is solved.

I seriously doubt the airlines have the intestinal fortitude to do that due to the "bad PR" they'll get, so we will continue to see instances like this occur...just hope I'm not on the airplane when one of these things goes off mid-flight. :(

Cheers,
Brian

The S7 Edge looks almost identical to the n7. It's going to be interesting when they have to ask all the S7 users if that's a note that they are using. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Back