FAA warns about using Samsung Galaxy 7 on airplanes

I was planning on getting that phone. Hopefully they clear up the exploding issues soon.

I bought one... Samsung has replacements on the way. Got an e-mail from them stating I could pick one up starting next week... All of the trouble has been overseas... my unit works fine... I think its a big over reaction...but I'm trading mine in just the same.

I bought one... Samsung has replacements on the way. Got an e-mail from them stating I could pick one up starting next week... All of the trouble has been overseas... my unit works fine... I think its a big over reaction...but I'm trading mine in just the same.

Do you like it? It's my top choice for when my contract is up in October. I have the Galaxy S5 right now.

Yeah, I have one. Actually on the 9th one so far. Three blew up in the last week....:rolleyes:

Actually I like it. It does more than I know what to do with, but everything I need to do it does.

We got the email from
Best Buy for my sons note 7. Great phone. Too bad they sealed the batteries. Would have been much easier to swap batteries instead of whole phones.

No, but my Galaxy 4 has, on it's own without me doing it, changed its response to a ring with some lady talking and then going immediately into voice mail. That's because it is a SMART phone. If it were a DUMB phone, it would just ring normally on every call. But if it did that what would all the software jockies do for a living???

They're recalled anyway. The airline ban is just for those who aren't paying attention that they need to send them back.

But the comment on a cellular forum the other day was funny...

"I'm kinda burned out on Android."

"You sure you don't have a Note 7?"

:)

Love my note 7. I use it on planes too. It's a huge over reaction.

You going to send it in for the recall? Just curious.
I bought it unlocked from best buy so im not too sure what I'm going to do. I am thinking about returning it and getting my $1k back and buying a cheaper phone. However I'm afraid I will hate any other phone after having only notes for years. If the new note 7 has a worse battery life or any deficiencies I'll keep mine.

Just read a memo at my airline saying pax are not allowed to turn them on or charge them.

FA is supposed to make an announcement. I guess if pax don't comply, they could be kicked off:dunno:
Well are they going to check everyones phones? Most people don't know a note 7 from an S7. It's going to be interesting. I'll see tonorrow when I ride an airline if they say anything to me.

Well are they going to check everyones phones? Most people don't know a note 7 from an S7. It's going to be interesting. I'll see tonorrow when I ride an airline if they say anything to me.
I can't even tell a Note 7 from other android phones. It's going to be tough to enforce.

I bet they all have headphone jacks. Makes it so hard to tell them apart! ;)

My Note 3 is in an Otterbox case and just looking at it gives no clue as to the brand or model. I wouldn't want to be the one who has to pick out a Note 7 from all the various phones.

The Feds are going to force a recall. Just to keep you safe. Might as well use it as a lawn dart while you can.

No, but my Galaxy 4 has, on it's own without me doing it, changed its response to a ring with some lady talking and then going immediately into voice mail. That's because it is a SMART phone. If it were a DUMB phone, it would just ring normally on every call. But if it did that what would all the software jockies do for a living???

This is just too tempting.... If it is a smart phone then the color of the lady's hair? :D

Haha, boarding a plane now and they just made the announcement. These phones must remain off while on flight and are not to be charged.

Haha, boarding a plane now and they just made the announcement. These phones must remain off while on flight and are not to be charged.
SWA doesn't seem to mind the use of them. There was no mention of it in the announcement today.

My S6 gets hotter than crap sometimes, if stuff is running in the background

That's the processor and that's normal. The battery issue won't give you that sort of warning.

Love my note 7. I use it on planes too. It's a huge over reaction.

The battery issue is due to quality control problems. It'll go from nicely behaving battery to unquenchable burning nightmare in a damn hurry. Granted, it's a tiny percentage that will have the internal shorting issues, but the fire that results from them comes with no real warning and no good way to extinguish it. Water fuels the lithium fire, so dry chemical extinguishers are generally the only thing that's going to work to put it out. I don't think the actual failure mode has been released but we know it's due to thermal runaway. Lithium ion batteries will fail in seconds from thermal runaway. This is a case where you either have a good battery or a ticking time bomb, and you have no way of knowing.

I'm generally all about not wasting effort on a nanny state, but for exactly this reason. Cry wolf enough times and when it matters, people assume it's just not that bad. This one, in the enclosed space of a airline cabin, could actually matter.

I'm generally all about not wasting effort on a nanny state, but for exactly this reason. Cry wolf enough times and when it matters, people assume it's just not that bad. This one, in the enclosed space of a airline cabin, could actually matter.
I'm queued up for a replacement. If there was another phone of this quality I would just vet one if those. But as of now and the foreseeable future, there is nothing even close so I have to wait for a replacement.

Do you like it? It's my top choice for when my contract is up in October. I have the Galaxy S5 right now.
I really do like it... The pen is a great feature... No more searching for pen and paper when I'm on a call and need to take notes...

We got the email from
Best Buy for my sons note 7. Great phone. Too bad they sealed the batteries. Would have been much easier to swap batteries instead of whole phones.

Agreed, wondering if they'll rethink the sealed battery after this fiasco. Wasn't that the way the cost cutting compromise that they made to waterproof their phones? Wonder what the cost benefit analysis looks like now?

SWA doesn't seem to mind the use of them. There was no mention of it in the announcement today.

United made the announcement to leave them off and not charge them on both flights yesterday.

Yes, this is a rare occurrence, but it's a heck of a firebomb when it happens. Bad enough on the ground, in an enclosed cabin at FL350, no thanks.

Back