FAA vs Jeppersen charts

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by 4RNB, Nov 21, 2022.

1. 4RNB

4RNB Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display name:
    4RNB
    Hey! I got you with that R didn't I?

So, been flying about 2 years, all with foreflight and FAA charts. My plane is in for lots of stuff and I bought a sim for IFR currency. Sim had inaccurate procedures that were fixed with Navigraph data package. Navigraph/Simlink stuff has Jeppesen charts so that is what I have been using a couple weeks now, likely for the next few months.

When I get my plane back, I will likely continue using the SIM for practice and currency. While I do not have to use Jepp for the SIM, it has been easy to follow my plane symbol live on the IPAD. So I expect I will be concurrently using two chart products. Perhaps for perfect practice I ought use just one and convert over to Jepp?

Anyone have insights into this?
    Is it best practice?
    Your experience?

2. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    I am not a ForeFlight customer, but if I was I would opt Jepp charts because the data is presented in a more user friendly foremat.

RDUPilot likes this.
  3. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
    Personally, except for the paper quality in ancient times, I've never seen much of a difference between Jepp and FAA/NACO approach charts even before the Volpe briefing strip was adopted by both. The 10-9 airport diagrams do make things easier to locate, but most of that information is presented in an EFB's Airport tab anyway. In FF in 2022, the only real advantage I see to Jepp charts is the georeferenced SIDs and STARs

it's really all about how easy you (not I or anyone else) find working with both (and is it worth the substantial up charge) but unless I was confident about that, I would stick with one for both practice and real life.

TCABM likes this.
  4. Sundancer

Sundancer En-Route

Display name:
    Sundog
    I use X-Plane sim and it "talks" to FF on my iPad over my home WiFi network - geo referenced plates just as in actual flight, and it's using the FAA charts. The updates to the data keep it current.

WDD and TCABM like this.
  5. dans2992

dans2992 En-Route

Display name:
    Dans2992
    I don’t think Jepp plates are worth the upcharge and hassle.

tsts4, woodchucker and murphey like this.
  6. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    I’ve looked at Jeppesen and government charts side by side quite a bit, and I see many ways in which Jeppesen charts are clearer and make information easier to digest.

i summarized my findings in a video a while ago.

- Martin

7. jordane93

jordane93 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Jordan
    I wouldn’t pay for Jepp on my own dime but if given the option I’d take Jepp over government charts any day.

8. Plano Pilot

Plano Pilot Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Plano Pilot
  9. bcool

bcool Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Bud
    Great video, Martin! I used to think I liked the FAA charts better but after your comparison it looks like the Jepps are the way to go