FAA vs Jeppersen charts

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Hey! I got you with that R didn't I?

So, been flying about 2 years, all with foreflight and FAA charts. My plane is in for lots of stuff and I bought a sim for IFR currency. Sim had inaccurate procedures that were fixed with Navigraph data package. Navigraph/Simlink stuff has Jeppesen charts so that is what I have been using a couple weeks now, likely for the next few months.

When I get my plane back, I will likely continue using the SIM for practice and currency. While I do not have to use Jepp for the SIM, it has been easy to follow my plane symbol live on the IPAD. So I expect I will be concurrently using two chart products. Perhaps for perfect practice I ought use just one and convert over to Jepp?

Anyone have insights into this?
Is it best practice?
Your experience?

I am not a ForeFlight customer, but if I was I would opt Jepp charts because the data is presented in a more user friendly foremat.

Personally, except for the paper quality in ancient times, I've never seen much of a difference between Jepp and FAA/NACO approach charts even before the Volpe briefing strip was adopted by both. The 10-9 airport diagrams do make things easier to locate, but most of that information is presented in an EFB's Airport tab anyway. In FF in 2022, the only real advantage I see to Jepp charts is the georeferenced SIDs and STARs

it's really all about how easy you (not I or anyone else) find working with both (and is it worth the substantial up charge) but unless I was confident about that, I would stick with one for both practice and real life.

I use X-Plane sim and it "talks" to FF on my iPad over my home WiFi network - geo referenced plates just as in actual flight, and it's using the FAA charts. The updates to the data keep it current.

I’ve looked at Jeppesen and government charts side by side quite a bit, and I see many ways in which Jeppesen charts are clearer and make information easier to digest.

i summarized my findings in a video a while ago.

- Martin

I wouldn’t pay for Jepp on my own dime but if given the option I’d take Jepp over government charts any day.

Back