FAA stops a sale

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
The aircraft I have placed a bid on was removed from the sale because the FAA has an issue with the maintenance prior to the accident.
I have discussed this with the person who has custody of the salvage. He stated the local FSDO has confiscated the aircraft records.
The insurance adjustor was told by the FAA not to sell the aircraft until their issue was settled.

What can we expect going forward?

I have the FAA guys name and will call him in the morning, maybe he'll talk to me.

Huh... I’m interested in this... following thread!

I’d be curious to know what the history is on this particular aircraft.

Me 2

I did check tonight It has been taken off the sale site.

It was there 3 days ago.
I think there is an A&P in trouble over this one.
And it ain't me.

Buying another rehab project Tom? :thumbsup:
Don't look like it.

FAA paper work is one thing that in some cases can't be unscrewed

Actually I'll wait to see if the sale is renewed, and after we know what the FAA's issue is we may make another bid.
It's mostly a salvage for parts & paper work. This one has a very interesting up grade on a field approval, the paper work is almost as valuable as the parts.

Last edited:
Even your ability to perform miracles can't penetrate the FAA? :eek:
Phone call in the morning, we 'll try.

If they have some schumk by the gonads, and this A/C is the evidence, it may take years to deal with it. In the mean time it becomes an airport derelict. or If they are holding for NTSB investigation it may fall into the same category
Just gotta call and see WTF.

Good luck Tom. The FAA has nothing but time.

But if the FAA is in involved with the sale, what can ya do?
Is this a local investigation or was the NTSB involved? If the latter, there may be a Docket report that may give you insight on the paperwork/mx issues.
Something stinks
Not necessarily. This is the only way a foreign national can own an aircraft in the US without permanent residence. There are a number of aviation minded people working here on work visas only. However, I seen more aircraft registered this way for aircraft flying in Europe. It's a lot easier and cheaper to operate under an N number than an EASA registered aircraft over there.

The FAA and NTSB will look at it, possibly send the engine to the manufacturer for tear down. Eventually, the parts go back to the owner/insurance company.
It can take a while. The FAA isn't that bad, but the NTSB are a bunch of bureaucratic slow pokes and obstructionists.

I did check tonight It has been taken off the sale site.

It was there 3 days ago.
I think there is an A&P in trouble over this one.
And it ain't me.
Sounds like they confiscated the wreckage/records as evidence....

Futile attempt to talk to the inspector this morning. he works mon-thru.
Lotsa aircraft out there in need to help Tom.
That's true, but not many have the paper work that this one does.

The FAA and NTSB will look at it, possibly send the engine to the manufacturer for tear down. Eventually, the parts go back to the owner/insurance company.
It can take a while. The FAA isn't that bad, but the NTSB are a bunch of bureaucratic slow pokes and obstructionists.
There is nothing on this aircraft that would warrant that.

This aircraft will eventually come back to the market, I just hope I don't miss it when it does.

thing is,, weather. this accident happened mid summer, and the aircraft has been setting out, normally it would have been disassembled and moved to storage. but it is still in flyable condition. My dream was to go make it ready to ferry and fly it out.

One more piece of the puzzle..This A/C is not in the NTSB accident listings, either by N number, type A/C, place, or date.

Plugged in every thing I knew " no Data found"
Interesting. If it was flying or intending to fly and crashed... sounds like someone didn't report it in the proper manner and the feds found out recently. Which would exp!ain the heightened interest of the FSDO. Or, it was damaged by other means (storm) which wouldn't make into any database --but that wouldn't get the feds involved. Maybe call in Columbo on this one....

Interesting. If it was flying or intending to fly and crashed... sounds like someone didn't report it in the proper manner and the feds found out recently. Which would exp!ain the heightened interest of the FSDO. Or, it was damaged by other means (storm) which wouldn't make into any database --but that wouldn't get the feds involved. Maybe call in Columbo on this one....

This aircraft had a cabin fire, we think drugs might be a factor, but I'm guessing.
I don't know if it was moving or not, it's not in any data base, as it should be, I can't find out any thing from the insurance adjuster except it has been removed from the sale.

it's not in any data base, as it should be,
Unfortunately, if there was no intent to fly or operate in a controlled area on the airport there is no requirement to enter in the accident/incident databases. And if your thoughts on the fire are valid, then this might be controlled beyond the FAA. When it comes to aircraft, most outside feds (DEA, etc) defer to the FAA to manage the asset as they have initial jurisdiction.

Seeing as this sale is no longer going to happen, here is what I was talking about.Should have been an easy do, till the FAA screwed the sale.

https://www-265.aig.com/AviationSalvage/salvagedetail.aspx?SalvageId=2688

two things to note
The sale ending date has been change to 7-15-18 when I made my bid the sale closing date was 8-15-18
hit the back to the sale list button and you'll no longer see the sale.

This one has a very interesting up grade on a field approval, the paper work is almost as valuable as the parts.

I'm curious what upgrade. I guess I don't know the type well enough to spot it.

Looks as if a fuel leak (Tom would know, but I think that the fuel lines run down what would be "A" pillars in a car), and some dripped below the floor back into the tail. The paint didn't burn off of the aluminum, so it may be good.

Tom: Unless you are a real glutton for punishment, I'd let this one go past. A dry chemical extinguisher was used, and everything that power touches is now ruined. Had someone torn the aircraft down and properly cleaned it within a day or two, some of it would have been salvageable. The fuselage is pretty much junk, as most of the belly skins and the bulkheads behind the seats have been overheated and would need to be replaced. It's essentially an engine and a pair of wings and a tail.

Tom: Unless you are a real glutton for punishment, I'd let this one go past. A dry chemical extinguisher was used, and everything that power touches is now ruined. Had someone torn the aircraft down and properly cleaned it within a day or two, some of it would have been salvageable. The fuselage is pretty much junk, as most of the belly skins and the bulkheads behind the seats have been overheated and would need to be replaced. It's essentially an engine and a pair of wings and a tail.

Pretty sure he’s after the paperwork and not the plane.

Asking out of total ignorance. What is the benefit of he paperwork?

If you can show that the change has been done and approved previously and the details of the approval you are more likely to get it approved a second time on a different airplane.

If you can show that the change has been done and approved previously and the details of the approval you are more likely to get it approved a second time on a different airplane.

Thanks. I'm just ignorant of other info in the thread too then. I haven't read it all in detail. So I don't know what the 'change' is that you're talking about and approval for it. I was wondering why someone would just want the paperwork on a plane that had caught fire. So obviously I don't understand the details.

Another innocent/ignorant question:
Would Tom have to own the plane to have access to the paperwork? Couldn't he just somehow prove precedence so that he could duplicate it in another plane?

Tom, unrelated, but what ever happened to that canard plane you brought back from Canada?

Back