FAA form 8610 (initial IA app)

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Does anyone know what most FSDOs will accept in box 11?

Block 11, Aircraft Maintenance Activity During Last 2 Years:
For the “Dates”: Make entries in descending order (MM/YYYY) format.
For the “Description of Activity”: Identify work performed. Do not include titles or positions.

ie the "D of A" box is 3 lines high and each line allows 31 characters.
So there is not room to enter many specific activities. But they want a 'description of activity'.
So instead of 'performed top overhaul' is it right that they are looking for and will accept "Repairs"
Instead of 'added 5606 to brake system, bled same'; think they will be ok with "Servicing".
Could include "Maintenance"?
How about "Inspections" as in 100-hour?
What did you use on your form 8610 initial application?

Just want to avoid the form being kicked back.

Just want to avoid the form being kicked back
I dont know if things have changed, but back in the day it required an interview with an ASI prior to starting the process. At that time the 8160 was filled out and signed. Interview was to see if you had basic knowledge of Part 65 and had ability to pass IA test.

Involved in the repair, maintenance and restoration of GA aircraft with an emphasis on older classic aircraft.

If my memory serves me correctly I used something like this.

Interview? Interview? Sheesh.
Can I get Bryan to stand in for me?

According to Box 6, one has to be actively engaged "in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with the CFRs"

Seems the FAA feels that is the most appropriate activity to comply with the requirements, so:

I put that exact language on my initial app and have used that exact language on every renewal 8610-1 for as long as I have held IA (15+ yrs) and it has never raised an eyebrow. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

I listed the various types of signoffs over the last couple years.....repaired XXXX, replaced XXXX, ....they're looking for maintenance activities that show you're actively engaged.

"Interview was to see if you had basic knowledge of Part 65 and had ability to pass IA test."

Have to get authorization to take the test from the FSDO so the 'interview' went like this:
Do you meet the requirements for IA? Yes.
Are you going to use any prep for the test? No.
Here ya go..........good luck!

"Interview was to see if you had basic knowledge of Part 65 and had ability to pass IA test."

Have to get authorization to take the test from the FSDO so the 'interview' went like this:
Do you meet the requirements for IA? Yes.
Are you going to use any prep for the test? No.
Here ya go..........good luck!

That’s pretty much how my interview went too, ha.

Back