Exercise— What’s your routine?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
We all need to stay active for the sake of our medical, as well as for our own benefit.

What’s your routine?

Weights 4 times a week and HIIT on weight training days. The other 3 days I just try to stay active either mountian biking, jogging, long walks..

Gym daily,unless I’m flying . Alternate between the tread mill, and stationary bike. With stretching every day ,for the core.

Elliptical 5-6 mornings a week - 3 miles each / gym 2-3 times a week - 3 more miles on elliptical, 3 sets of 10 on 6 weight machines and crunches in the sauna. So, not much ;)

Gym 5 days a week, mostly free weights, but some cable stuff as well.

Gym usually 3 days a week. Mostly cardio. Elliptical or bike for an hour which turns out to be about 15 miles for me. I don’t have a gym membership. I just use the hotel gyms since I’m usually on a 4 day trip every week.

Does bowling count?

I bowl 12-20 games a week.

Begin with stretching and agility exercises, standing on tiptoe to reach the fuel cup in the baggage area, then kneeling and reaching under the wings for fuel sumps. Sometimes I work my upper body lifting various "baggage" into the chest-high baggage door and lowering it to the floor inside. Attach towbar to front wheel, pull airplane out of hangar. (At my previous base, I had the opportunity for aerobic exercise pushing both sides of the hangar door open.) Then more flexibility and agility exercises climbing in the right door and getting into the left seat.

After taxiing out, runup, etc., there is the extended right leg press from throttle up to level off; when traveling vs. local flights, this can be an extended period from 264 msl to 7500 - 10,000 msl for cruise. After returning, there is more aerobic exercise pushing the plane into the hangar, for some reason more difficult than pulling it out. Some flights have multiple repititions, either out-and-back flights or stay overnight or two and repeat; these longer trips add additional strength training by removing the previously-added weights through the small, high opening and lowering them gently to the ground.

My fitness goal is to remain strong enough to get the plane in and out of the hangar, and flexible enough to get in and out of the left seat.

Lately it's been an hour of suffering on Zwift, then too many days off, like this last week with a cold, then back on to suffer. It's rained like 17 out of the last 25 days here.

Yard work on weekends, with an occasional walk for a mile or two. Lap swimming a mile on MWF after work.

A physical therapist friend of mine recommended yoga to help with flexibility, I haven't started that yet.

A physical therapist friend of mine recommended yoga to help with flexibility, I haven't started that yet.
My sister has been doing that with some of her friends and SIL. Was supposed to aid with child birth and she’s been doing it ever since.

I feel I need to repeat myself for any other heart patients out there who haven't heard me encourage roller skating. I go to an adult session twice a week for two hours each. You'd think social skating like this is pretty hum-drum and not very physical, but I wore a Polar heart monitor and found my heart rate was around 75% maximum for two hours, that turns into a pretty nice, easy on the knees workout. It's a bunch of fun, too, like being a kid again and playing with all the other kids in the neighborhood. More ladies to skate with than I can keep, um, satisfied. Every other song is a couple's waltz of some kind. Immediately afterward, I go down the street and do 20 minutes on a treadmill at 4.0 MPH and a 15°incline, then do two sets of light weights on 5 machines.

Besides that, I take my dog on a 20 minute power walk every day, as fast as I can go without running. Then again at night usually one half mile around the block. A couple other times per week I hit my own treadmill, once for 45 minutes averaging about 4.0 MPH @ 8°incline and 20 minutes the other. Need to start doing pushups and sit ups on an inclined board. Something else always seems to take precedent. I'm 71 and 8 months post-triple bypass as of tomorrow.

Last edited:
I try to get a solid workout at the gym a couple nights a week, with one session with a trainer every other week, but lately it has been tough getting even one session every week in. At least I have been getting alternate exercise in, like tearing out and replacing some of the shrubs out front, and fence repair.

I figure if it left me winded for more than a few minutes, or left me with sore muscles the next day, it was probably a decent substitute for the gym. If things ever slow down, I want to add some cardio/interval sessions at the gym.

Four sets of tennis Wednesday night, and a couple rounds of golf, typically Tuesdays and Fridays. Can't stand the monotony of traditional workouts...need to be chasing a ball of some sort. Maybe I was a dog in a previous life!

30 minutes (which equates to about 4 miles) every weekday night on my rowing machine, alternating between low and high intensities every other minute. Over the past few months, I've tried to really stick to it every night, and eating better, and I do feel better, and have lost about 8 pounds, but I have a long way to go. I'm at 240 and would like to get down to 200. It's tough when you hit your 50s however.

30 minutes (which equates to about 4 miles) every weekday night on my rowing machine, alternating between low and high intensities every other minute. Over the past few months, I've tried to really stick to it every night, and eating better, and I do feel better, and have lost about 8 pounds, but I have a long way to go. I'm at 240 and would like to get down to 200. It's tough when you hit your 50s however.

Try reducing bread, rice and potatoes; eat less candy and dessert; increase veggies, and add at lweast one piece of fresh fruit every day. I lost 4 gallons' avgas from early August to Thanksgiving that way, and have kept it off. No other changes, so the exercise should accelerate the process.

I swim laps for at least 30 minutes, 5 times a week. Lift weights 3-4x a week, and try to throw in a 3-5 mile run on the weekend. In the spring through fall months I do races, 5k through half marathon, and a triathlon. That sounds like a lot, but I'm not in super shape, at least not yet. Trying to get there.

I walk the dog and go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I have a list of exercise routines on my wall that I check each day to see my routine. I've been doing it for years but not until the last several weeks have I lost 15 pounds by making it a point to not sit down. I volunteer at the Botanical Gardens maintenance shop each day and keep moving.

Walk a mile and a mile and a half or so most mornings. Weight training three to four times a week (alternate between heavier weights for sets of six and lighter weights for sets of 10) followed by heavy bag, and swim every day. I’ll often throw in another walk in the evening.

Sometimes instead of a regular weight workout, I’ll do more of a Cro$$fit type workout, or one of Pat McNamara’s Combat Strength Training workouts.

Riding a bike will be in the mix pretty soon, just need some parts to get it working.

That is what I am doing at 52 years old. When I was younger, it was heavy weights four times a week, all powerlifting. Finally got burned out on that, injuries caught up and I realized it was time to be all-around fit and healthier. PL was a blast but I haven’t missed it at all.

We work out together at my airport. It's a simple routine that we repeat often. 1. Walk to fridge to get a cold beer. 2. Open beer, then bend elbow to move the bottle to your mouth, repeat until beverage is gone. 3. Walk to trash can to discard the empty bottle. 4. Repeat. You'll find 3-4 reps will have you in shape very soon... the shape is round, but it's a shape.

3 miles walking the dog every day. 40 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week. No lack of activity in between.

I go to the gym seven days a week, 364 days a year (they are closed on Christmas.) My minimum routine is a half hour of weights, alternating between push days and pull days, followed by an hour on the elliptical (Precor AMT, which has independent up/down and forward/rear movement). Lately I've been pretty good doing fifty lap sessions in the pool, which I can get done in about 45 to 50 minutes. I do six sets of freestyle, sidestroke, backstroke, and sidestroke, with a couple breast stroke laps at the end.

Then, if it's a decently nice day, I'll go for a 20 mile burger ride. If I didn't swim, I might go on a longer burger ride. I do not work legs in the weight session. I get enough leg exercise between the biking and elliptical.

At least one hour outside 3-5X per week on either my Bionic Runner (similar to an ElliptiGo) or recumbent bicycle and weights 3X per week at a the gym. The Bionic Runner is a cardio blaster that tops anything else I've ridden on two wheels. One hour on that burns 800-900 calories.

Running (25-50 miles per week, depending on what I'm training for), Orange Theory Fitness twice a week, hockey once a week, bike ride a few times per week.

They’ve got one of those here. What’s it like?

I really like it. It's a 3 "station" coached class. You do ~15-20 minutes on each of the weight floor, water rower and treadmill. It's a nice cross-training piece of my weekly routine, and the coached aspect means I can just show up, do what I'm told and go home. No thinking about the workout. Been going over a year now, really like it.

I will admit that I was doing what I needed to do to keep a medical and keep flying.

After the heart attack that thought has changed to doing what I need to do to keep myself in better health and live a little longer for my wife. Flying is secondary.

I've lost 40lbs since the beginning of October. A combination of eating smaller portions, eating less carbs (especially rice, pasta, and bread, which are my weaknesses), and going to the gym for a 45-60 minute workout 4-5 times a week. Four days are 15-20 min of cardio followed by 30 minutes or so of weights with 2 days focused on legs and 2 days on arms/chest. Each day also includes 5-10 min of core strength exercise. 5th day is all cardio/core.

I work on the 4th floor and take the stairs. Other than that, I shun anything other than walking. I will probably die tomorrow.

Walk, walk, walk outside. 75 minutes a day with elevation gain and loss.

Just got one of these at an estate sale a few weeks back.... $150, looked like it was hardly used... Use to use one all the time when my gym had them, now they have the stair climbers and elliptical machines.. I say minute for minute, this is the best workout out there... already lost a few lbs, BPM is down and I am guessing my BP will be down too when I get it check later this week....

SM-4000PT-2T_2000x.jpg

We all need to stay active for the sake of our medical, as well as for our own benefit.

What’s your routine?
I don't have a set regimen. When I know I don't have time to get to the gym, I'll take a 30 - 45 minute walk at lunch. I have several routes I've timed so I don't need to carry a watch. When I can get to the gym, I like to start with 5 - 10 minutes of easy rowing to warm up. I follow that with 40 minutes of high intensity cardio, looking to make that 50 minutes. Then, 3 sets of pull-ups and dips. Then cable rows, bench presses, and leg and ankle presses. Then a lot of stretching, followed by a horizontal plank, and a left, and a right vertical plank.

Probably won't get much exercise besides loading bags in the car, and taking them to the hotel room Saturday, but Sunday we're planning on going to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library Simi Valley, and Sunday visiting the Planes of Fame museum in Chino. First time for both of us for each museum, so lots of walking then.

We will be taking the high speed express corridor (aka Interstate 5) between Silicon Valley and Los Angeles. Minimum speed seems to be the posted speed limit!

Yoga when I can get myself to the studio. Short bike rides after work (1-2 days a week) when it isn't dark. Longer bike ride on the weekend when it isn't too hot or cold. Mowing the lawn with a reel mower once a week (why use a ride-on and then go for a run, doesn't make sense).

Back