Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
This was a result of a bounce at my home airport on Sunday night:

Cessna_206_Bounce.jpg

Nothing a little duct tape won't fix. :confused:

I like the soda can on the step! I think it's time to convert it into one helluva tailwheel plane.

That was one bounce? Or was it a PIO?

Is the prop missing a blade? The other two look fine. Prop not spinning?

That was one bounce? Or was it a PIO?

Is the prop missing a blade? The other two look fine. Prop not spinning?

The angle of the two showing means it was definitely a 3 blade.

I don't think I've bounced a night landing. I bounced more landings a week ago in the 182 than I ever have in any other plane. Maybe I couldn't get used to the really heavy elevator, I'm not sure. When I flew a 182 about a year ago, my landing was great.

I'm just glad my bounces did not end up like this!

I've bounced a night landing. No damage though. Just bounced, recovered and landed. It was PITCH BLACK! I remember looking at the airport runway, with lights and it's size kept changing. I literally couldn't tell if it was a big runway far away or small runway closeup. This airport was in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska or Kansas) so no surrounding city lights on a moonless really dark night. Live and learn.

Actually don't recall ever bouncing at night. Bounced several during the day though. Nothing really hard, just carried too much airspeed on final.

Had a "solid arrival" the other day and popped my nose wheel tire. Kinda surprised because it wasn't that hard. At the same time it's a go kart tire so I imagine they're not rated for much weight.

Yup. On a very wide, not to long runway. The illusion got me. Flared and everything was feeling fine until the bottom dropped out. One bounce and I was outta there going around. No damage, luckily.

Yes I have bounced a landing at night and let me tell you it's no damn fun in a Cessna 180 I can assure you from experience.

You mean your not supposed to bounce? How else do I get my take off and landing counts up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got about 90 hours @ night. Best landings are night landings. Best trick is to flare as SOON as you start recognizing skid marks (not the ones in your pants):eek:

Many, night and day. But they weren't my fault. It was the planes I was flying. Yeah that's the ticket! :D

Never bounced at night. Probably because night usually brings little wind and calm conditions. 90% of my night landings have been like flying on rails down to the runway.

Never bounced at night, but that's not because I land softly. It's because I flare so high that the plane drops in with so much force it can't bounce.

Klunk!

Every. Time.

:rolleyes:

I'd think you'd be beyond that type of rookie flying once you were flying a 206.

Never bounced at night probably because I don't fly very often at night except for currency and long XCs. Last night landing was coming back from Indy in Jan. with a friend and three puppies and the landing light was working fine in Indy but wouldn't come on during approach, luckily the taxi lights on the wingtips worked and the landing was one of my best. Hopefully that 182(edit: 206) can be fixed, it looks like a newer model.

Last edited:
I don't think I've bounced a night landing. I bounced more landings a week ago in the 182 than I ever have in any other plane. Maybe I couldn't get used to the really heavy elevator, I'm not sure. When I flew a 182 about a year ago, my landing was great.

I'm just glad my bounces did not end up like this!

Trim, trim, and trim.......

Trim or no trim, no excuse for that.

Also looking at the length of the nose and the number of Windows and the pod, that's not a 182, it's a 206

This isn't a grass strip, FYI... That's just where he ended up. I have another picture of the path he took across the grass; and yeah, it's a 206.

Trim or no trim, no excuse for that.

Also looking at the length of the nose and the number of Windows and the pod, that's not a 182, it's a 206

Agreed, no excuse for a bounce. As someone who doesn't bounce landings, I was just surprised at how easily I bounced this particular 182 I flew last week. During my PPL training, my CFI initially said he didn't want to solo me because I had not experienced a bad landing yet. He got over that.

I wasn't saying the plane on the picture was a 182.

Last night landing was coming back from Indy in Jan. with a friend and three puppies and the landing light was working fine in Indy but wouldn't come on during approach, .

I have my students experience landing without the landing light. Should not be a problem. Also show them no flaps landings at night (and day too) which is an entirely different site picture.

I have my students experience landing without the landing light. Should not be a problem. Also show them no flaps landings at night (and day too) which is an entirely different site picture.
Me too. The electrical system tends to fail at night as well with my students.:D

I have my students experience landing without the landing light

My "bounce" at night was just that...burnt out landing light that was fine at preflight. Turned to final and thought...huh, that looks dark...look down...switch on...ruh row!

I had just installed a stupid bright LED beacon...so once I was over the threshold I got a red flash about every second of "theres the runway"...black..."theres the runway"...black..."theres the runway"...

My initial though was man that beacon is bright...and never having done a lights out night landing I was surprised how challenging depth perception was even with runway lights on. Ended better than above but the tires may or may not have stayed on the runway after initial contact!

I do a lot of night flying and under normal conditions my night landings are better than my day landings!

> "I literally couldn't tell if it was a big runway far away or small runway closeup. This airport was in the middle of nowhere (Nebraska or Kansas) so no surrounding city lights on a moonless really dark night."

That's happened to me, more than once, same situation. Middle of nowhere after a long days flying. Even landing lights didn't help. Had to go around twice on one occasion like that, middle of Texas somewhere. Damndest thing. Things like that make me glad I fly a single place aircraft and don't have witnesses.

It's random. Same situation other times, "aircraft carrier" landings like this worked out slick as a whistle. Just luck.

Yep, I had practiced them multiple times with my instructor and I was sure glad I did.

Bounced once and then hit the power and went around. This looks like a PIO.

Carrier "landings" are more like a controlled crash. You just fly the airplane onto the deck and if you're good or lucky you catch a wire and don't have to do it again.

I've got about 90 hours @ night. Best landings are night landings. Best trick is to flare as SOON as you start recognizing skid marks (not the ones in your pants):eek:

What if you're landing on a freshly repaved runway? Or grass?

Bounced once and then hit the power and went around.

As a student, I had a big bounce, and did the same - full flaps and nose-up trim in a 172. I knew enough to keep strong rudder inputs and push the yoke in hard - I was fine but scared my instructor pretty good.

I've saved bounces, and I've gone around. I feel like I'd rather teach students (at least initally) to save them rather than go around that low, slow and dirty. What do y'all think?

As a student, I had a big bounce, and did the same - full flaps and nose-up trim in a 172. I knew enough to keep strong rudder inputs and push the yoke in hard - I was fine but scared my instructor pretty good.

I've saved bounces, and I've gone around. I feel like I'd rather teach students (at least initally) to save them rather than go around that low, slow and dirty. What do y'all think?

Depends on how you teach them, if they have that mental image of there being a ratchet on the yoke and that you can't push it back forward after you start pulling back, saving a bounce is fine.

Best yet teach the round out and landing better so you arnt bouncing in the first place. Some bounces will happen but good technique will fix most of it.

I had just installed a stupid bright LED beacon...so once I was over the threshold I got a red flash about every second of "theres the runway"...black..."theres the runway"...black..."theres the runway"...
Same for me when my ldg light went poop after takeoff. Watched for the rwy between strobe flashes (mine are BRIGHT). But of course, we are trained to land without any lights on the plane but by the rwy edge lights in our peripheral vision. :)

Night landings (for me) in a high wing are much easier than night landings in a low wing when you have no lights.

The trick I used to use was the nav lights on the wings. They give off a pretty good glow. If you get established and down to the field, with a Cessna you can just look out the window at the wheels and see how high you are off the field. Then it's just managing speed.

I too had some super powerful strobes on my PA-28-180C and I put in an LED landing light before I sold it. Made a WORLD of difference landing at night.

I really can't see how you would ever bother with incandescent bulbs anymore. If you do any kind of significant night flying upgrading to LED or even better..HID will be some of the best money you spend on a plane initially.

Now, for those EXTRA dark fields and rural areas, converting this to be able to be used on a plane would rock heh:

Me too. The electrical system tends to fail at night as well with my students.:D

On my PPL night airwork flight the generator quit, so no radios, lights, etc. Plus we were landing on a grass strip lined with lanterns.

Good experience! :eek:

On my PPL night airwork flight the generator quit, so no radios, lights, etc. Plus we were landing on a grass strip lined with lanterns.

Good experience! :eek:

They did that on airplane repo once...

Back