Ever bounce a night landing?

Ahh airplane repo, watched it for awhile but then like other realty shows....

What if you're landing on a freshly repaved runway? Or grass?

There aren't any grass runways with runways lights in my area ... shoot, there aren't even any grass runways!:eek: (El Paso)

Out of over 1500 landings, I have only landed on brand spanking new pavement twice, both in daylight.

Never bounced a night landing, but I land big long well lit runways at night. Since the photo shows a broken 206 in a field and it isn't a grass strip I'll assume it was an emergency landing, in which case everything turned out just fine. If I do an emergency landing at night and the worst that happens is a collapsed nose gear I'll count myself lucky indeed.

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. He was landing at a 5000' paved runway, weather was fine, but it's my understanding that it was nighttime when this happened, he bounced on landing and then everything went south. Here's a picture of the path the plane took after departing the paved runway.

bad_airplane_driving.jpg

I dont understand pilots hesitation to go around when a landing starts to turn out not so good, unless there is a reason that they can't like running out of runway etc. This seems to be the case with airline pilots also, an airline friend of mine told me that this is the case with many pilots. In the case of a small single engine if you bounce when first touching down( which I have done) adding some power usually stops the continuation of subsequent bounces, its a little counter intuitive to do so but a simple fix.

Anyone who can't land a lit 5K strip at night doesn't deserve to be behind the wheel. Anyone who tries to land an unlit 5k strip at night probably doesn't either.

Then again, the airplane is pranged, but I imagine the pilot walked away. That's why we have insurance. Its all good in the end.

Back