Estab. Value of Pilots Bag,headset,etc

Jimdv

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jimdv434
My friend flew in the early 90s and is not Internet savvy .he asked me to see if I can establish the value of his old pilot bag I’m calling it .it has a David Clark headset and the usual pilot tools and comes with a very nice bag

Need to know which DC's he has. The rest is probably worth less than $50, including the "very nice bag."

Need to know which DC's he has. The rest is probably worth less than $50, including the "very nice bag."
and try a craig's list and ebay search. that shoulf help establish value. be sure to look at 'sold' listings on ebay.

DC H10.13.4 model

also need to look at the condition. headsets that have sat in the garage tend to have wasted ear seals and sticky rubber parts. that knocks the price down 20-50 bucks.

I completely agree with the nostalgic value. I’d still sell it cheap. Give some aspiring pilot a little push to get started.

What are his plans for once you "establish the value" of his items? I ask because that's an unusual term that I usually see when referring to paying taxes on something (like an airplane), or donating something to charity, neither of which would seem to fit here.

If he's just looking to sell it to get a little money out of it, well, post it here, craigslist, etc., and take whatever it will bring. But as others have stated, it's not much. The headset has the most value, depending on condition, but yeah, without seeing pictures and having to make some assumptions on condition after 30 years, $100 or so is about it probably. The other stuff, if it's typical pilot tools from that era like a plotter, E-6B, etc., really isn't worth anything past nostalgic value. You say the bag is "very nice" - what are we talking about here? Leather? There might be a little bit of value there, but also consider that flight bags of the day were designed to hold things like paper charts and not iPads, so some of the pockets may not be a usable size any more.

If you can post some pictures we can give you a better idea.

I've picked up old headsets for $20 that the owner just couldn't move. I used to scour Craigslist and help students find them cheap / at cost.

Back