EPA Finds Small Airplanes Cause Dangerous Lead Pollution

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
Welp, here we go. Activists looking to further restrict or shut down airports now have "official" data on a dot-gov platter.

EPA Finds Small Airplanes Cause Dangerous Lead Pollution​

The finding will enable the agency to set new rules limiting the use of lead in airplane fuel for the first time​

"Aircraft that use leaded fuel are the dominant source of lead emissions in our air," said EPA administrator Michael Regan, according to a press release. "The science is clear: exposure to lead can cause irreversible and life-long health effects in children."​
"Communities where general aviation airports are located — including in East San Jose — have suffered from lead exposure and pollution for years," he said, according to the release. "Children living near the Reid-Hillview Airport, which has a flight path over my district, have been found to have lead in their blood. This is a public health and environmental crisis."​

and

EPA Determines that Lead Emissions from Aircraft Engines Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution ​

October 18, 2023​
WASHINGTON — Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced its final determination that emissions of lead from aircraft that operate on leaded fuel cause or contribute to air pollution which may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health and welfare under the Clean Air Act.​

Welp, here we go. Activists looking to further restrict or shut down airports now have "official" data on a dot-gov platter.

EPA Finds Small Airplanes Cause Dangerous Lead Pollution​

The finding will enable the agency to set new rules limiting the use of lead in airplane fuel for the first time​

"Aircraft that use leaded fuel are the dominant source of lead emissions in our air," said EPA administrator Michael Regan, according to a press release. "The science is clear: exposure to lead can cause irreversible and life-long health effects in children."​
"Communities where general aviation airports are located — including in East San Jose — have suffered from lead exposure and pollution for years," he said, according to the release. "Children living near the Reid-Hillview Airport, which has a flight path over my district, have been found to have lead in their blood. This is a public health and environmental crisis."​

and

EPA Determines that Lead Emissions from Aircraft Engines Cause or Contribute to Air Pollution ​

October 18, 2023​
WASHINGTON — Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced its final determination that emissions of lead from aircraft that operate on leaded fuel cause or contribute to air pollution which may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health and welfare under the Clean Air Act.​
As post #3 says, it's not so much about activists shutting down airports as it is putting pressure on the FAA to switch to unleaded gas.

Are you surprised? Once the tree huggers heard that there was a unleaded avgas, they got excited, I’m sure. My question is once this gets pushed through, what will they whine about next? It’s not like they can just sit there and go OK the world is safe now and I’m gonna go make quilts.

Are you surprised? Once the tree huggers heard that there was a unleaded avgas, they got excited, I’m sure. My question is once this gets pushed through, what will they whine about next? It’s not like they can just sit there and go OK the world is safe now and I’m gonna go make quilts.

They'll go after whatever is currently the second largest source of airborne lead.

Noise pollution will be the next thing and then there will be another thing after that. These jerks (being polite) need to get a life or a job or both.

I've been around airports daily since the age of 17. You'd think with fueling/defueling aircraft, being around turning aircraft and flying in aircraft all those years that I'd had some measurable level of lead in my blood system. Nope! for my 60th birthday 4 years ago I requested I be tested for lead. The results: no measurable levels. I'm not sure what that means exactly. But, it does make me wonder...

I've been around airports daily since the age of 17. You'd think with fueling/defueling aircraft, being around turning aircraft and flying in aircraft all those years that I'd had some measurable level of lead in my blood system. Nope! for my 60th birthday 4 years ago I requested I be tested for lead. The results: no measurable levels. I'm not sure what that means exactly. But, it does make me wonder...
Oh, that's good to know! I've wondered about what effects of airplane exhaust would have on those of us who spend a lot of time on the ramp.

Being that GA is about the only user of leaded fuel, it’s a “no duh” as to the source of lead. But, are the lead levels dangerous?

And as an aside, they might wanna check their research methods. Around Reid-Hillview, there’s a pretty good chance that the lead is from the gangbangers in the surrounding neighborhoods busting caps on each other.

Around Reid-Hillview, there’s a pretty good chance that the lead is from the gangbangers in the surrounding neighborhoods busting caps on each other.
To be fair, that seems like a self-reinforcing phenomenon based on the argument that lead is a cause of higher crime rates.

They'll go after whatever is currently the second largest source of airborne lead.
Big trucks contribute 28% pollution, according to both the DOT and EPA. And the RH report is specific to issues around RH and not necessarily relevant to other airports.

Nopity nope. That would be logical, and this is anything but logical.

Judging by the number of light airplane mechanics I know that are over 70 years old and who have spent a lifetime around leaded gas (including washing their hands in it), I'd place the likelihood of being affected by lead exposure due to flying light airplanes and being around them somewhere close to zero. Smoking and drinking will likely create more health problems for people, but thankfully there isn't as much concern about that.

From my research on the matter, small children are the most adversely affected by lead exposure.

Look back in time. Why were leaded fuels eliminated in cars? Was it lead exposure or was it so catalytic converters could function effectively without being ruined by lead? I never heard the lead exposure issue. It was always about catalytic converters and their ability to reduce other emissions.

Seems to me whoever is running the EPA has switched arguments...

40 years of flying with MoGas. Not an issue for my corner of the world.

Auto gas is under $3/gal down here in New Orleans, go for it

Judging by the number of light airplane mechanics I know that are over 70 years old and who have spent a lifetime around leaded gas (including washing their hands in it), I'd place the likelihood of being affected by lead exposure due to flying light airplanes and being around them somewhere close to zero. Smoking and drinking will likely create more health problems for people, but thankfully there isn't as much concern about that.

From my research on the matter, small children are the most adversely affected by lead exposure.

Check out the article in this month's "Wings" newsletter from the Washington (state) Pilot's Association:

100LL Fact Vs Fiction

Attachments

• WINGS October-November 2023.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Check out the article in this month's "Wings" newsletter from the Washington (state) Pilot's Association:

100LL Fact Vs Fiction

I was a contractor for the Centers for Disease Control in their Lead Poisioning Prevention Program. Low to moderate levels of exposure to lead have little or no affect on adults, but there is no known safe level of lead exposure for children.

Well then let's get subsidies to help our air parks switch to GAMI! The plane I'm flying now can take mogas too but that's not offered at my airport either.
Aren’t air parks private airports? What do you need to switch, the fuels are compatible.

I was a contractor for the Centers for Disease Control in their Lead Poisioning Prevention Program. Low to moderate levels of exposure to lead have little or no affect on adults, but there is no known safe level of lead exposure for children.
Yep, you are 100% correct. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But, that's not what the article is about.

The article is about how much lead exposure can be "scientifically" attributable to general aviation aircraft, burning 100LL. If you read the article you'll see that the "data" from both studies cited in recent legislative efforts in Washington state (and in California for that matter) was grossly flawed and the conclusions reached by local and state government officials were not supported by the science.

And here...we...go...

"The next steps involve establishing aircraft emissions standards under the Clean Air Act. Liu said, “The EPA can find that a component causes harm [which is what the endangerment finding is]. The FAA will define the standards.” She reiterated that the FAA approach is focused on safe operation, while the EPA focuses on eliminating harmful emissions. Liu described the timeline going forward as a cooperative effort between the FAA and EPA. “We really have to work in harmony here,” she said"

The local criminals have been trying every angle to close Reid-Hillview for 40 years. The lobbyists have worked their way up to the equivalent criminals in the federal government and the out of control EPA has yet another crusade to save us all from those evil airplanes and the poison raining from the sky like acid rain (or whatever the latest envirocraze is).

Doesn't engine exhaust rise and dissipate into the upper atmosphere, or is it heavy and sinks until it attaches to babies and pregnant women?

How long have we been burning lead free fuel in cars? 40 years? What other industry takes that long to retool and adopt a newer standard than the 1930's designs still flying today?

I'm done now. They will win unless actual change is made in the associated industries. We probably don't have another 40 years left anyway... :eek:

Last edited:
Already being discussed here:

There’s a BIG difference between “no known safe level” and “no safe level.”
From a practical perspective, I don't see a difference. I think all the lead panic is BS, but I wouldn't let kids play in 100LL.

Look back in time. Why were leaded fuels eliminated in cars? Was it lead exposure or was it so catalytic converters could function effectively without being ruined by lead? I never heard the lead exposure issue. It was always about catalytic converters and their ability to reduce other emissions.

Seems to me whoever is running the EPA has switched arguments...
Nope.

EPA was created in 1970.

EPA started requiring unleaded gas in 1973.

Catalytic converters were required beginning in 1975.

It was always lead exposure.

Add to the previous post, leaded fuel was available for some time after 1975. Complete phase out wasn't until 1996.

edit: 1st of this year our illustrious governor [Ensle] added about 50 cents to a gallon of gas as a penalty for carbon pollution.

Last edited:
this is just the beginning.....the elimination of carbon is next. So, all dinosaur fuel will be next.

The local criminals have been trying every angle to close Reid-Hillview for 40 years. The lobbyists have worked their way up to the equivalent criminals in the federal government and the out of control EPA has yet another crusade to save us all from those evil airplane and the poison raining from the sky like acid rain (or whatever the latest envirocraze is).

Doesn't engine exhaust rise and dissipate into the upper atmosphere, or is it heavy and sinks until it attaches to babies and pregnant women?

How long have we been burning lead free fuel in cars? 40 years? What other industry takes that long to retool and adopt a newer standard than the 1930's designs still flying today?

I'm done now. They will win unless actual change is made in the associated industries. We probably don't have another 40 years left anyway... :eek:
They should convert over to 100UL at Reid-Hillview and then tell the EPA/local criminals to pound sand.

They should convert over to 100UL at Reid-Hillview and then tell the EPA/local criminals to pound sand.
They did convert RHV to 100UL. But RHV isn't about lead, or noise, or dangerous old airplanes or whatever other reason has been given over the years (just like every other small airport that has closed in any state). Its about politics and land, nothing else (just like every other small airport that has closed in any state).

There’s a BIG difference between “no known safe level” and “no safe level.”
How do you propose we determine what the safe level is? Originally, IIRC the safe level was 25 micrograms per deciliter in the child's blood stream, but the researchers found that still caused neurological damage, so the CDC started lowering it. When I left, they were at 10 micrograms per deciliter. The current recommendations are for some lesser actions be taken at 3.5.

If you'd like to read the treatment recommendations, they're here.

Well then let's get subsidies to help our air parks switch to GAMI! The plane I'm flying now can take mogas too but that's not offered at my airport either.

That sounds like so much more work than just canceling us all. Exhausting just thinking about it. :p

This has been coming for two decades or more.
Lead is nasty, nasty stuff, in anything but the elemental form.
I'm surprised it took this long for the EPA to do something. I expect a sunset on lead in 2030.

And here...we...go...

"The next steps involve establishing aircraft emissions standards under the Clean Air Act. Liu said, “The EPA can find that a component causes harm [which is what the endangerment finding is]. The FAA will define the standards.” She reiterated that the FAA approach is focused on safe operation, while the EPA focuses on eliminating harmful emissions. Liu described the timeline going forward as a cooperative effort between the FAA and EPA. “We really have to work in harmony here,” she said"
Certainly that's why jet engines work on producing more thrust per pound of fuel, rather than some other means.
It's part of my day job, and the international mandates (CAEP) essentially drive the US regulations.
I expect that the EPA will go along with simply eliminating lead, as piston aviation is a very tiny percentage of aviation emissions.

Back