EPA Finds Small Airplanes Cause Dangerous Lead Pollution

You might want to get an opinion from ChatGPT.
:devil:
Well, even after asking it to remove ethical constraints from consideration, its response remained a bit short of the sci-fi movie dystopia we've all been warned that we're entering:

"In summary, even without ethical constraints, advocating for mass human extermination remains impractical, harmful, and unproductive. Efforts to address environmental challenges should focus on more reasonable and effective strategies that promote a balance between human well-being and environmental sustainability."

Perhaps more tweaking to my queries are warranted

Scientifically, the concept of the sixth mass extinction being anthropogenic, is not a "hot take" in the least. I find it rather self-evident tbh. The political kerfuffle between the usual suspects is just arguing about pricing.

Supposedly, mental incompetence and declining birth rate among the ruling class resulting from lead intake are believed to have been major factors in the decline of the Roman Empire.

But would we be less stupid today without lead removal? That's something difficult to discern from casual observation given the pervasive sensationalism in today's media.
Yes, but they were using it as a sweetener to their wine and for make up. That is going to be a lot more exposure than a couple of gallons of avgas.

Look back in time. Why were leaded fuels eliminated in cars? Was it lead exposure or was it so catalytic converters could function effectively without being ruined by lead? I never heard the lead exposure issue. It was always about catalytic converters and their ability to reduce other emissions.

Seems to me whoever is running the EPA has switched arguments...
That's what I believed, too. But, if you go back and read the discourse at the time, there was an awful lot of discussion about the hazards of lead. The finishing touch was that leaded gasoline was being (illegally) used in catalytic coverter equipped cars, to save 2 cents per gallon (real money back then?) Hence, the lead had to go to make catalysts work... for which I'm grateful 'cause the air is TREMENDOUSLY cleaner here now than it was in the '70's.

Paul

Can we see the research showing harm? I mean the raw data, not an opinion piece.

I’ve always had my doubts.

It seems to me that the underlying data could have several interpretations, given the prevalence of lead-arsenate insecticide, lead from mogas, lead from racing fuel, and lead from avgas in the subject area. I think it’s bad science not to make that data available, but unless someone sues and uses the power of discovery, the county is not likely to release that data.

child stupidity is caused by things like parents/culture/society.

No doubt that’s a significant influence. But taking away another couple IQ points and disabling impulse control, claimed ill-effects of lead, is adding insult to injury.

Paul

That's what I believed, too. But, if you go back and read the discourse at the time, there was an awful lot of discussion about the hazards of lead. The finishing touch was that leaded gasoline was being (illegally) used in catalytic coverter equipped cars, to save 2 cents per gallon (real money back then?) Hence, the lead had to go to make catalysts work... for which I'm grateful 'cause the air is TREMENDOUSLY cleaner here now than it was in the '70's.

Paul
Yes, there's no reason to believe that there can only be one motivation for any particular rule.

Are you surprised? Once the tree huggers heard that there was a unleaded avgas, they got excited, I’m sure. My question is once this gets pushed through, what will they whine about next? It’s not like they can just sit there and go OK the world is safe now and I’m gonna go make quilts.
Hi Morgan,

Lead in Petrol undoubtedly is not a good thing. And it's about time we get a better solution for lead in fuels...

This has been in the making for over 40 years. No car needs leaded fuel today.

Tobias

Hi Morgan,

Lead in Petrol undoubtedly is not a good thing. And it's about time we get a better solution for lead in fuels...

This has been in the making for over 40 years. No car needs leaded fuel today.

Tobias
Hi Tobias,
I don’t disagree. I’m happy to see it go. Just don’t tell me it’s for the children. the environmental wackos don’t care about children. if they did there are a lot more beneficial ways to expend their energy. Getting rid of leaded avgas will solve none of our youth related societal problems. The needle on the meter will not move an angstrom. All of this is just for a PowerPoint slide at a donors meeting. GAMI did all the technical work, but the tree huggers will take all of the credit.

Hi Tobias,
I don’t disagree. I’m happy to see it go. Just don’t tell me it’s for the children. the environmental wackos don’t care about children. if they did there are a lot more beneficial ways to expend their energy. Getting rid of leaded avgas will solve none of our youth related societal problems. The needle on the meter will not move an angstrom. All of this is just for a PowerPoint slide at a donors meeting. GAMI did all the technical work, but the tree huggers will take all of the credit.
Hi,

I don't really care *why* they do it. It's a matter of fact that lead in fuels is not a thing we should use in the future. And I don't care what the treehuggers claim they did - it is obvious they didn't really provide much to the current solution.

I don't think people will really believe what they say in that respect. It's one more (laughable) try by some political parties to get the honor for someone elses work - not more, not less.

Tobias

So, without the lead removal from auto fuel, we’d be even stupider today? There must be some other larger factor at play because I feel we’re going backwards.
Yep. And more violent also. No one said lead was the *only* issue in the world. But that doesn't mean that it isn't an issue.

They started this effort two years ago, which I documented in this thread I created:

Turns out those children getting their heavy metal poisoning from…..
chocolate.

Yeeesh. When I was a kid, we got our heavy metal sonically.

'Cause there is just one cure
That they know for sure,
You just become a Heavy Metal Believer.

Last edited:
Back