enjoy life as VRF pilot for sometime or start IFR right away?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by WannFly, Oct 31, 2017.

1. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dmspilot
    And why would someone want to do that?

Is your goal to dissuade OP from getting an instrument rating because it's not entertaining? Seriously what is the point of your participating in this thread? It's a wee bit strange. Don't know why you would try to pick a fight over something so minuscule and as subjective as what kinds of flying a person finds valuable.

2. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    I think we're saying the same thing

3. mscard88

mscard88 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    It's James. Most of his posts make no sense, or he tries to get a rise out of people.

tspatrick and Brad Z like this.
  4. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331

I don't have a goal, and no, my comment was directed at your remark that VFR flying is boring.

Why so salty?

5. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dmspilot
    I did not say VFR flying was boring.

If I thought that, why would I encourage him to "enjoy" more of it before starting instrument training? I would have said, "VFR flight is boring. Start on your instrument right away."

Do you think before you post?

6. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Wait for it......
    [​IMG]

Zeldman, WannFly and mscard88 like this.
  7. Ravioli

Ravioli En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    I think the biggest setback is that when you're a VRF pilot you need to get your IRF license and then apply to OKC to request transition plan to an IFR certificate. Paperwork. Rumor has it that VRF and IRF pilots are not allowed to use tablets.

But really, OP, get about 45 hours of cross country VFR under your belt and then start towards the IFR. Enjoy the fun part for a bit before getting back in learning mode.

WannFly and mscard88 like this.
  8. Brad Z

Brad Z En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    Perhaps, but unlike some folks on here that seek out IMC (looking at you, @bestforwardspeed) I generally try to avoid IMC as much as possible, even on an IFR flight plan. I like shooting an approach as much as the next guy, but the passengers generally prefer to see something more than cotton out the windows. Filing IFR allows me options if I do run into IMC.

WannFly likes this.
  9. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Funny. You'll just to figure it out for yourself some day.

10. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Are those in Paris?

11. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    Vrf == next gen VFR

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Skyrys62 likes this.
  12. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Maybe I misinterpreted your comment

13. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I think this is true for the experienced IFR pilot, but not the novice.

The novice IFR pilot is like an eight year Spanish grad that goes to Mexico for the first time to speak the language. They will survive, but they really are way behind the 8-ball.
    The experienced IFR pilot is truly fluent, and has lived in Mexico 10 years.

EminiTrader and WannFly like this.
  14. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Not really, I mean back country, aerobatics, gliders, racing, floats, etc etc, all VFR stuff.

Not saying I know everything about IFR, but working as a single pilot IFR guy I know a few things, and it's just no where near the same level as landing on some lake that doesn't even have a name, or doing a roll or something.

Ryanb likes this.
  15. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    Thanks all. Looks like I have some soul searching to do and a couple of ATM to break. Weather is utter crap here... no flying for next several foreseeable days for me ... VRF or not

16. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    I'm in the same boat. I finished my PPL two years ago and since then have upgraded my instruments on my Cherokee to "basic" IFR meaning I now have VOR, ILS and DME. Since then I've finished most of the requirements for IFR cert no including the written. I'm having fun in AZ flying VFR and have sort of put off my training due to working to get my A&P license but the IFR stuff is not moved to the back burner all the way. It's still simmering on low on the front still.

Nobody has mentioned to reduced insurance rate yet but they've pretty much covered everything else. In my Cherokee, an IFR rating would give me a little flexibility here in AZ but it would be nice to be able to fly when the ceilings are lower with no icing or thunderstorms.

WannFly likes this.
  17. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    It's worth getting Tim. Stick with it.

18. Reggie

Reggie Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Reggie
    Having your instrument rating adds a large number of tools to your flying toolkit. All of the VFR rules governing airspace and cloud clearance exist to provide separation to IFR traffic who are utilizing the national airspace system to its maximum potential.

An instrument rating is a license to learn, just like your Private Pilot certificate, but it really adds a new dimension of understanding of airmanship that makes you a far more professional aviator.

WannFly likes this.
  19. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    It works out to about $200/year. LOL.

20. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    A penny saved.....is a disc of zinc plated in copper.

TCABM, Zeldman and denverpilot like this.
  21. iamtheari

iamtheari Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    The instrument rating is an advanced degree in flight planning. It makes you a better pilot, gives you more tools to use in your travels, and so on. But mostly it forces you to study the weather on a level that you just don’t need to when you are VFR-only. Get it. When you’re ready. And fly anytime you can until then. Go to Grand Forks for Red Pepper (whole salami grinder with taco meat and colby cheese—thank me later). Go to Minot to check out the air museum if it hasn’t closed for the winter already (it probably has—go in the spring). Go to every pancake fly-in you hear of. Find FAA safety seminars that you can fly to and go to them. Fly that cross country you planned for your check ride and see what things you missed in your planning that the examiner didn’t catch. You have the license to learn, so start learning. If you fly a lot, you’ll know when you’re ready to start drinking from the firehose, which is the most apt metaphor for instrument training.

Reggie and WannFly like this.
  22. Amkestrel

Amkestrel Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amkestrel
    Indulge me - what is a “safety pilot”?

23. Joseph Schimnich

Joseph Schimnich Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    instructorjo
    I started my IR after about 100 hours TT. I used my VFR privileges for a while but I knew I wanted to get the IR. Get a friend that is also working on their instrument rating or someone building time to be your safety pilot. I did most of my simulated hood time with a friend who was also working on his instrument rating. It was a great why to build our friendship as well. FYI, I finished my instrument rating in about five months time because I needed to build 40 hours of simulated hood time. Less than a year later, I am now a CFII. My friend still needs to finish his instrument rating and I have offered him free instruction to do so. As for reference material, I used Sporty's Online Instrument Ground School, Gliem Knowledge Test Book and The FAA Instrument Handbook. These are what I recommend to my students if they find other materials that work for them I am all for it!

WannFly likes this.
  24. Rykymus

Rykymus Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rykymus
    When I got my PPL, I was all about waiting for a while before getting my IR. A couple of brief inadvertent encounters with IMC changed my tune. I wish I would have done it earlier, as I truly enjoy the utility of the IR.

I don't understand why some people are acting like getting your instrument rating means you can't fly VFR. Obviously, you can. I fly VFR when I want to, and IFR when I want to. (Or need to.) No way in hell I'd make a long flight in IMC, but I've got no problem departing in it, climbing or descending through it, or shooting approaches in it.

To be honest, my go/no-go decision process hasn't really changed much since getting my instrument rating. I don't plan to fly in crappy weather. I'm just ready to do so safely if it sneaks up on me. That alone was worth the time and money spent getting the rating.

Brad Smith, WannFly and Radar Contact like this.
  25. jimhorner

jimhorner Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Horner
    §91.109 Flight instruction; Simulated instrument flight and certain flight tests.

(snip)...

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety pilot; and

(3) Except in the case of lighter-than-air aircraft, that aircraft is equipped with fully functioning dual controls. However, simulated instrument flight may be conducted in a single-engine airplane, equipped with a single, functioning, throwover control wheel, in place of fixed, dual controls of the elevator and ailerons, when—

(i) The safety pilot has determined that the flight can be conducted safely; and

(ii) The person manipulating the controls has at least a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26. Dave Krall CFII

Dave Krall CFII Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
    Get it right away for 2 reasons:
    1. The IFR rating will make you a much better pilot even when flying VFR.
    2. Utility. I decided to start mine during a would-be multi night Xcountry right after attaining the PPL. The herring bone cirrus foretold Wx threatening to move in even though it was summer forcing a way-early VFR departure from deep in British Columbia’s Wilderness. Six months later I thankfully had the IFR rating.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    WannFly likes this.
  27. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    yah my very recent experience of a wx diversion have made it very clear that I need that rating. like rt now there is a layer at 7000 with tops at 7500, I am pretty certain a flight at 6500 would be bumpy and would love to get to 8500 and not worry about getting stuck there

28. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Just do it @WannFly.

You know you want to go do this...

29. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skyrys62
    Eerily beautiful at 13:30ish

Is it odd that he keeps saying twenty one fifty three instead of two one five three?

30. Brad Smith

Brad Smith Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Smith
    Thanks for the Video, Denver pilot. Why was the landing light pulsating on the second landing? Never saw that before. Is it preferred by some pilots?

31. TCABM

TCABM Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    TCABM
    What’s your wallet and schedule thinking about this decision?

32. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Pulsating landing light is frequently called wig-wag and is used to enhance visibility to other aircraft. I find it distracting at night on landing and ground ops.

Skyrys62 likes this.
  33. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    Wallet doesn't agree... but I am trying my best to convince

34. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    An attempt prevents near hits.

35. CC268

CC268 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Spot on. Totally agree. I would have been done with my IFR rating weeks ago if it wasn't for the fact that I started the IR with only 19 hours of XC time. If I could go back I would try to have the XC time pretty much done.

Off topic, but unfortunately it looks like I will likely go through my IFR rating with no actual. It is damn near impossible to get actual here in Arizona.

Oh well...I will get some actual at some point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    WannFly likes this.
  36. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    Roger. yah that's currently plan, get 50 hrs of XC done and then start the IFR. think I am about 16 hrs rt now...

37. CC268

CC268 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Not sure where your based, but if your somewhere other than the Southwest you'll at least probably get the opportunity to get actual IMC time which is cool.

38. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    KFAR. real IMC is not a problem here, unless there is Icing.. which is also not a problem here (along with other nasty stuff like freezing rain, sleet, freezing fog, thunderstorms, hail .. u name it, we have it ) :p

39. CC268

CC268 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    That’s nice. If I could afford it I would have flown out to some place like that and tried to get some real IMC.

40. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    cove over. you will be very close to your 50 hr mark when you go back. :)