Engineer's take on the 737 MAX design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reference, please. The specific section of part 25 that goes to your statement would be fine.
Part 25.171; 25.173; 25.175. Static stability is defined as control feel.
Reference, please. In particular that MCAS "[increases] the control forces." I thought it drove the stabilizer jackscrew through the electric trim motor.
The end result is applying nose down movement via the stabilizer trim system which in turn increases control feed back in the cockpit. There are numerous detailed explanations and sources that explain this that came out after the Lion accident. If you missed these items as part of your article research...then you didn't look very hard.

Bottomline there been multiple discussions on these points for quite some time. Perhaps you should spend a few hours reading thses past conversations???

The mass of the engines (the LEAP engines are about 1500 pounds heavier, per engine, than the CFM56s they replaced) coupled with their location forward of the longitudinal center of gravity means that they impart a large inertial moment.
Not nearly as much as the rest of the airplane, both forward and aft of the CG, which also impart mass and have a longer moment-arm than the engines which are relatively close to the CG.

The first class cabin alone can vary in weight (passengers and bags) by 4,000 pounds, or more, from flight to flight and has a significantly longer moment-arm than the engines. Are you suggesting that it is a bad idea to fly with a full first class section? I don't think you are.

The airplane must be in its CG envelope for takeoff, flight, and landing. If it isn't, you can't takeoff until it is. That is true of all airplanes, not just the MAX. If the MAX engines put more weight forward of the CG then either the design or loading of the airplane has to counter that with more weight aft of the CG. The result is a balance airplane around the lateral axis both in weight an rotational inertia.

Static stability is the initial reaction after a displacement. Dynamic stability is the stability over time. A pendulum has positive static and dynamic stability. If displaced, it initially returns toward the start point. That is positive static stability. As the pendulum continues to swing back and forth the oscillations will reduce in magnitude over time. That is positive dynamic stability.

Airplanes tend to exhibit weak positive static stability in roll at shallow bank angles which degrades as bank angle increases. At higher bank angles the static stability is negative as the airplane will continue to roll into an increasingly steep spiral. Airplanes don't always have positive stability and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The engine nacelles (cowlings) generate lift. Meaning, once the nacelles start to generate lift, they tend to rotate the aircraft to a higher angle of attack, which causes them to generate more lift. Again, to me that sounds dynamic, not static.
That would be an example of static, not dynamic, stability but what you say is true for all airplanes with under-wing engines. The MAX is no different. The airplanes, including the MAX, still have positive static pitch stability.

it is beyond foolish to design a system that a) relied on only a single sensor output to b) make configuration changes to the aircraft that render the aircraft uncontrollable.
An unscheduled MCAS activation does not make the airplane uncontrollable. The DFDR data from all three flights shows that the airplane is completely controllable when proper procedures are followed. See the following article for an in depth technical explanation of that.

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/...GNHUU4mmx-Y_gSkFBWDEgSikRvXo1Lz7NODddBu5xB358

My understanding, based on my own experience plus that of talking with commercial pilots, is that AoA is pretty much a cosmetic indicator in commercial aircraft. Nobody flying a commercial airliner gives a **** about AoA.
I've been an airline pilot since 1990. I have never flown an airliner that had an AoA display. They are used primarily on aircraft which use a HUD, instead of autoland, for CAT II and CAT III approaches.

I don't think that any pilot, of any training, could have known that hitting the stabilizer cutout switches in the event of an MCAS malfunction was a thing to do.
As a current 737 pilot I can say that you are wrong.

An unscheduled MCAS activation PRESENTS as a runaway stabilizer. There is no way to diagnose the cause of a runaway stabilizer in flight. Trying to do so would be a dangerous waste of time as demonstrated by the accident crews. The key to a successful outcome is recognizing that the trim keeps trimming nose-down on its own and accomplishing the runaway stabilizer procedure. It doesn't make any difference if the cause of the runaway is an unscheduled MCAS activation, a failure in the Speed Trim System, or a shorted wire in the primary trim system. The solution to every runaway stabilizer situation is to maintain control of the airplane and accomplish the runaway stabilizer procedure.

I've flown the MAX-8 without MCAS activated for hundreds of hours, and it's a more stable, better flying airplane than the -800.
I've flown the 737-9 MAX and 737-900 and agree completely.

In particular that MCAS "[increases] the control forces." I thought it drove the stabilizer jackscrew through the electric trim motor.
It is in Boeing's own description of the system. At certain high-AoA conditions the MAX's elevator pitch "feel" is lighter than that of the 737 NG models. MCAS introduces a nose-down pitch bias through the introduction of stabilizer trim to produce a pitch "feel" that is more similar to the 737 NG.

It is in the name of the system itself; Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System. It is not a Stability Augmentation System, which some other airplanes have.

Yet not every plane with underwing engines requires MCAS. In fact, no 737 prior to the MAX required MCAS. What is different with the 737 MAX that it requires what no other 737 needed?
Why do some airliners require a stick-pusher, which aggressively pushes the nose down with more force than a pilot could counter, in order to pass stall qualification but the 737s, including the MAX, do not? Airplanes are different. Engineering is about compromises. To get what you want you have to give up something somewhere else. Different ways to get to the same result which is a 14 CFR 25 compliant airplane.

I also want to address the issue of a single data input.

Single source inputs are common in airline design. Each airplane has multiple autopilots and flight directors. The 737 has two, the larger Boeings have three. Each autopilot and flight director receives input from a single Air Data Inertial Reference Unit (ADIRU), a single AoA, a single pitot tube, a single static source, a single Flight Control Computer, etc. One set of data sources is always what is being used to fly an airliner (except on an autoland). When there is a failure in one, you switch to the other(s). Tying MCAS to the active Flight Control Computer is in line with how most of an airliner's systems work.

Simply changing the master to the other side should also stop an unscheduled MCAS activation. That isn't a procedure, of course, because there is no way for you to verify an unschedule MCAS activation in order to know to do it. Instead you use the runaway stabilizer procedure which also stops it.

Um, I think aviation has been pretty much exactly the opposite of that throughout history. Think rudders, ailerons, flaps, trim tabs, yaw dampers, vortex generators, modal suppression. Lots of "bells and whistles"

Good point. I thought of a few more.

slats
leading edge slots
leading edge flaps
anti-servo tabs
servo-tabs
stall strips
stall fences

Not nearly as much as the rest of the airplane, both forward and aft of the CG, which also impart mass and have a longer moment-arm than the engines which are relatively close to the CG.

The first class cabin alone can vary in weight (passengers and bags) by 4,000 pounds, or more, from flight to flight and has a significantly longer moment-arm than the engines. Are you suggesting that it is a bad idea to fly with a full first class section? I don't think you are.

The airplane must be in its CG envelope for takeoff, flight, and landing. If it isn't, you can't takeoff until it is. That is true of all airplanes, not just the MAX. If the MAX engines put more weight forward of the CG then either the design or loading of the airplane has to counter that with more weight aft of the CG. The result is a balance airplane around the lateral axis both in weight an rotational inertia.

Static stability is the initial reaction after a displacement. Dynamic stability is the stability over time. A pendulum has positive static and dynamic stability. If displaced, it initially returns toward the start point. That is positive static stability. As the pendulum continues to swing back and forth the oscillations will reduce in magnitude over time. That is positive dynamic stability.

Airplanes tend to exhibit weak positive static stability in roll at shallow bank angles which degrades as bank angle increases. At higher bank angles the static stability is negative as the airplane will continue to roll into an increasingly steep spiral. Airplanes don't always have positive stability and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

That would be an example of static, not dynamic, stability but what you say is true for all airplanes with under-wing engines. The MAX is no different. The airplanes, including the MAX, still have positive static pitch stability.

An unscheduled MCAS activation does not make the airplane uncontrollable. The DFDR data from all three flights shows that the airplane is completely controllable when proper procedures are followed. See the following article for an in depth technical explanation of that.

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/...GNHUU4mmx-Y_gSkFBWDEgSikRvXo1Lz7NODddBu5xB358

I've been an airline pilot since 1990. I have never flown an airliner that had an AoA display. They are used primarily on aircraft which use a HUD, instead of autoland, for CAT II and CAT III approaches.

As a current 737 pilot I can say that you are wrong.

An unscheduled MCAS activation PRESENTS as a runaway stabilizer. There is no way to diagnose the cause of a runaway stabilizer in flight. Trying to do so would be a dangerous waste of time as demonstrated by the accident crews. The key to a successful outcome is recognizing that the trim keeps trimming nose-down on its own and accomplishing the runaway stabilizer procedure. It doesn't make any difference if the cause of the runaway is an unscheduled MCAS activation, a failure in the Speed Trim System, or a shorted wire in the primary trim system. The solution to every runaway stabilizer situation is to maintain control of the airplane and accomplish the runaway stabilizer procedure.

I've flown the 737-9 MAX and 737-900 and agree completely.

It is in Boeing's own description of the system. At certain high-AoA conditions the MAX's elevator pitch "feel" is lighter than that of the 737 NG models. MCAS introduces a nose-down pitch bias through the introduction of stabilizer trim to produce a pitch "feel" that is more similar to the 737 NG.

It is in the name of the system itself; Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System. It is not a Stability Augmentation System, which some other airplanes have.

Why do some airliners require a stick-pusher, which aggressively pushes the nose down with more force than a pilot could counter, in order to pass stall qualification but the 737s, including the MAX, do not? Airplanes are different. Engineering is about compromises. To get what you want you have to give up something somewhere else. Different ways to get to the same result which is a 14 CFR 25 compliant airplane.

I also want to address the issue of a single data input.

Single source inputs are common in airline design. Each airplane has multiple autopilots and flight directors. The 737 has two, the larger Boeings have three. Each autopilot and flight director receives input from a single Air Data Inertial Reference Unit (ADIRU), a single AoA, a single pitot tube, a single static source, a single Flight Control Computer, etc. One set of data sources is always what is being used to fly an airliner (except on an autoland). When there is a failure in one, you switch to the other(s). Tying MCAS to the active Flight Control Computer is in line with how most of an airliner's systems work.

Simply changing the master to the other side should also stop an unscheduled MCAS activation. That isn't a procedure, of course, because there is no way for you to verify an unschedule MCAS activation in order to know to do it. Instead you use the runaway stabilizer procedure which also stops it.
Thank you for this post.
Time in 737 -200, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9. I learned and had some stuff reinforced.

and c) They are not skilled enough because they are brown. In other words, there is a NASTY bit of implicit racism going on here that is entirely unfounded.

This is where you lose credibility with me. Please don't call people racist because they disagree with you.

This is where you lose credibility with me. Please don't call people racist because they disagree with you.
And this is where I jump in.

He's not saying it just because people disagree with him.

Certain people both on this board and in media coverage have made sweeping generalizations about the western world versus the rest of the world after these incidents.

Pretending that it doesn't exist is ludicrous on its face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back