engine without logs still a viable core?

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. Looking at an airplane with an engine without logs. Is the engine still valuable as a core? And can it be overhauled and a new logbook established by the engine shop? Coaching appreciated!

If you are trading in your core, you'll have to ask the person you are trying to trade it in for.

As for overhauling your own, it certainly can be done.

Anyhow, in either case, it can be done without the logs. The compliance with the TC has to be verified, but that's less of an issue if the engine is apart for the overhaul. Obviously, things that need replacing (cylinders, etc...) don't much care about their prior history.

thanks for reply Ron. sounds like an overhaul is in in order. Engine could probably be topped, but it'd still have no logs, except maybe for the one new entry for cylinders.

Is the engine still valuable as a core?
It will depend on who you are dealing worth. For example, Lycoming wouldn't accept it without a known total time. Is the data tag still installed?
And can it be overhauled and a new logbook established by the engine shop?
Maybe. An owner can guesstimate the engine total time based on research then have it notarized. However, whether someone would want to overhaul it with that total time would be specific to that person. Definitely doable though. But if you are referring to a new logbook as having zero time then no. Only a rebuilt engine will qualify for zero time and I think your core wouldn't qualify for that.

no, it's an old Cont o-300... I just don't want to throw good money after bad... and I don't know what to do with this engine as to whether to have it overhauled, or buy another core that has logbooks. It has a data tag

Disassemble and have the parts inspected/machined/yellow tagged. In my mind that would be the path for an overhaul with or without logs.

It will depend on who you are dealing worth. For example, Lycoming wouldn't accept it without a known total time. Is the data tag still installed?

Maybe. An owner can guesstimate the engine total time based on research then have it notarized. However, whether someone would want to overhaul it with that total time would be specific to that person. Definitely doable though. But if you are referring to a new logbook as having zero time then no. Only a rebuilt engine will qualify for zero time and I think your core wouldn't qualify for that.
^^^^This.

I've done it twice with an overhaul. See what you can document to make a reasonable estimation for the shop. I was able to find oil analysis records and they were very helpful

it has an oil analysis doc with it. maybe that'll help. Otherwise I've gotta go engine shopping.

Otherwise I've gotta go engine shopping.
Whats wrong with the engine now besides missing logbooks? There is a route to give you a legit total time and if the engine is repairable then you have a route to have it overhauled. Since this would be your aircraft I not quite following why you would need another engine. Granted its not the perfect scenario but there are possibilities. Whats the input from your mechanic?

Surely there is paper work with the airplane which will provide enough information to deduce the total time on the engine, and be reasonably accurate within a few hours. Especially if it's the engine that came on the airplane, and the tach has not been replaced.
Dollars to donuts, the CD from the FAA can shed some light.

Also, any idea where it was maintained? If so, the shop will have work orders.

What does notarizing have to do with this?

The notary only attests they saw you generate a signature and they verified your ID. They know nothing about the factual content.

Total time on an engine is really only attached to the data tag. You can put together a brand new crankcase, new crankshaft, new camshaft kit and the old data tag, does the total time really mean anything on these little engines? Which parts are life limited by hours or calendar per a regulatory requirement? This really starts making sense if your plan is to immediately overhaul it, which is essentially going to include a conformity inspection and AD compliance check. When the engine is disassembled and components sent out to machining and inspection venders which components are sent out with a note of total time on them? These engines do not use life limit card tracking individual components from birth to scrap.

The only things that bother me about cores or any used engine for that matter, is not actually knowing it if its ever had a prop strike. I would never buy one that has had one. But every day engines are disassembled and inspected after a prop strike and returned to sevice and how many of those are breaking crankshafts? How many broken crankshafts are related to prop strikes? How many cores are accepted by the OEM with little to no records, PMA aftermarket cylinders, crankshafts, camshafts etc? Off track a bit but you get the idea

Last edited:
Back