Engine overhaul on a stand

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Engine overhaul on a automotive engine stand horizontal or crankshaft stand vertical. I had never seen it done on a automotive stand before and ask if anyone else does it that way and why.

like this? Made it easy to work on and transport. ;)

Just so ya know....an TSIO-520 will not fit thru a 36" door opening with the valve covers on.;)

Attachments

• IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • EDB00759-159E-4527-9279-9B0B1992379F.jpg
    EDB00759-159E-4527-9279-9B0B1992379F.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Automotive engine stands attach to the engine at the back where the clutch or transmission bell housing bolts on to it. I don't see how this would work with a typical aircraft engine.
That said, my O-300 overhaul manual shows the engine on a stand which places the crankshaft horizontally. No details on the stand itself though.

Not that I have ever seen.
046_2.jpg

011_10.jpg

like this? Made it easy to work on and transport. ;)
Love it, only it is supposed to be in front of the couch so you can admire it while you stare at the boobtube.
When I was younger, dumber and single I brought all kinds of speed parts into the house. Many would have to sit on the coffee table for a while before they went out to the garage. I stored a long block V8 in a spare bedroom for 20 years, no rust only dust!! lol
You should seen my friends bitching because I asked them to help me get my drag bike into the living room for winter gazing and storage. lol No pictures back then.

I had to modify that Harbor Freight stand…but it worked. Vertical stands weren’t available…so necessity is the mother of invention.

You can't split the case with an automotive stand, or am I missing something?

The tripod vertical stand bolts to the crankshaft flange so every component can be removed including splitting the case right down to the bare crank. If you hang it on an automotive stand I suppose you could get the cylinders and oil pan off, maybe the accessory case but then you'd be stuck.

I like the vertical method. flip the ring gear over and screwed to to the base.

Attachments

• engine stand 2.jpg
    engine stand 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • engine stand.jpg
    engine stand.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
I've seen it done on YT on a horizontal stand. Once you're down to the crank & case, it's light enough to easily pick up by hand and set on a workbench for splitting the case. I don't think there's any benefit to doing it that way though besides not having to build/ buy a vertical stand.

IMG_9429.jpeg

With the engine on the hoist you cannot really separate the two halves can you? Or have to set it down on the ground.

What’s the circled parts above the cylinders?

That’s where the push rods go. Lifters are in the holes. Or is that too obvious?

Last edited:
That’s where the push rods go. Lifters at in the holes. Or is that too obvious?
Still don’t know what that means and that’s ok. My knowledge level engine wise is identifying the oil filter, cylinders, starter, alternator, fuel pump, and vacuum pump that’s about it lol

Still don’t know what that means and that’s ok. My knowledge level engine wise is identifying the oil filter, cylinders, starter, alternator, fuel pump, and vacuum pump that’s about it lol

Lycoming, pushrods on top, and those run the rockers & valves in the cylinder head.

Ask your mechanic what they think doing safety wire this way? This is how my lycoming factory rebuilt engine came. The safety cable is doing duel purpose this way.
388.JPG

I looked at switching over to safety cables instead of wire; I need to keep my eyes open for a used tool, it’s a little pricey new.

I looked at switching over to safety cables instead of wire; I need to keep my eyes open for a used tool, it’s a little pricey new.
I still use wire, like you said the cable tool is expensive for us peons.

Last edited:
Back