Endorsement

Still, that’s 3 different owners, 3 different insurance policies, and each likely requires a checkout. Simplest policy is just to require a checkout in everything.
May depend. I've looked at the policies of most of the clubs and flight schools I've dealt with through the years. All of them had a single policy that covered all the aircraft - both owned and leasebackd - for both liability and hull damage.

I some cases, an leaseback lessor, not satisfied with the coverage of the organization policy have had their own, but that was typically supplemental to the lessee's policy.

Screenshot_20231102_104750_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
it doesn't really specify what the checkout entails.

The cessna is a 1969 C150J.
The 172s I got my certificates in were the N and P models.
I have rented (and gotten checked out) the 172 S models.

Still, that’s 3 different owners, 3 different insurance policies, and each likely requires a checkout. Simplest policy is just to require a checkout in everything.
It is my understanding that all of our airplanes are covered by the same insurance policy.

I can see a club wanting checkouts for different instances of same make/model, if the planes are different. For example, in the PA-28 family, some have FI and some not, and screwing that up can be bad. Along those lines, the hershey bar and tapered wings land a little different. I'm not as familiar with the 172's, so no idea if they're all pretty much the same or if there are differences.

As far as regs go, as far as I am aware, PP-SEL, there are just endorsements for complex, high-perf, and tailwheel. For sport without a PP there are more.

I'm in insurance and the policy almost always(but not always )spells out how many hours are need to make them happy. Usually it 10 hours in small fixed gear, fixed prop aircraft and goes up per complexity all the way to jets.

Of course there are odd circumstances like this underwriters don't account for- stepping down into a C-150. it could simply take a call from the insurance broker to set it straight. And it's really an honor system. The insurance company won't know unless there is an accident and start looking at paperwork. I've seen many accidents caused by improperly licensed pilots, even professional jet pilots, who never thought it would happen to them .

But to the OP, just call your insurance broker and make them clarify what the underwriters want. That's their job.

On this 150 deal( I just bought it), the insurance company is asking for a checkout by a CFI before my insurance is considered valid. I think it is a good idea even though it is not a whole lot different than the 172N and P models I have flown.

When I rented 172s in CA last year they asked me to get a checkout in almost every tail number 172 because they were R, S, X, Y, Z models with XYZ avionics. I thought that was too much but I guess its their aircrafts and their rules.

I am taking possession of it today after it sitting in the shop for the past 2.5 months. Its like my xmas eve...cant wait to open up my present.....that I paid for heavily. HA
If the insurance isn't valid until after you are checked out, it means insurance isn't valid while you are getting checked out. Being paranoid, I'd get it in writing that the insurance is in force WITH the CFI aboard.

BTW - I'll bet the insurance company isn't specifying that the CFI be experienced in the 150. So technically you could be be given instruction by a CFI who knows as much as you do about a 150?

I can see a club wanting checkouts for different instances of same make/model, if the planes are different. For example, in the PA-28 family, some have FI and some not, and screwing that up can be bad. Along those lines, the hershey bar and tapered wings land a little different. I'm not as familiar with the 172's, so no idea if they're all pretty much the same or if there are differences.

As far as regs go, as far as I am aware, PP-SEL, there are just endorsements for complex, high-perf, and tailwheel. For sport without a PP there are more.
What's "FI"?

One of my clubs requires a checkout on each tail number (we have multiple 172s). I think it’s an insurance requirement.
More like a revenue requirement.

When I got my airplane for the first time, I just got in it and took off. Probably not the smartest idea but for any technical people that are savvy, I think it’s fine. Provided it’s day VFR conditions.

Wildest one I ran into was in Albany area. I was there for a while for work. Wife was in Burlington. So I figured get checked out and fly over on weekends. And there were several other couples, so could split costs. So I called FBOs from Yellow Pages (a LONG time ago). First 4 or 5 places were no longer in business.

Finally got one. At the time, was over 1500 hours, Commmercial ASMEL, IA, RH, G, CFII ASE, IA, RH, G, and current.

They wanted a minimum of a 3 hour checkout for Day VFR. Another minimum 3 hour checkout for Night VFR. Another minimum 3 hour checkout for IFR, and ANOTHER one for Cross Country. In a C-172. And I had several hundred hours C-172 time. Over 12 hours of dual.

No wonder all the FBOs were out of business.

The FBO I rent from when I visit CA makes you do a 2-3 hr checkout not only by models but also by different avionics. basically, feels like they're coming up with any excuse to require a checkout. then they make you do a checkout out if you are flying to KAVX or L35. I could kind of understand it because those 2 fields are a bit challenging for a inexperienced pilot. And then, you have to get another checkout if you haven't flown with their rental in the past 90 days.

I would just call around and research a CFI with knowledge about C150's. You could get any CFI but as an owner, I would want the best tips and tricks on top of basic checkout flight.

Most of the schools I've trained and rented with require your own renter's insurance and a checkout in the glass C182 gets you checked out in all the C172s, same with a checkout in the Piper Saratoga includes all the Cherokees and Archers.

A little off topic, but there are countries that require each type of airplane the certificate holder flies to be checked by a CAA official and added to their certificate.
Struth. Operating in another country just might make you appreciate the FAA.

Nauga,
and his t-shirt collection

If the insurance isn't valid until after you are checked out, it means insurance isn't valid while you are getting checked out. Being paranoid, I'd get it in writing that the insurance is in force WITH the CFI aboard.

BTW - I'll bet the insurance company isn't specifying that the CFI be experienced in the 150. So technically you could be be given instruction by a CFI who knows as much as you do about a 150?
typically a CFI will have enough qualifications to be covered by the open pilot policy. In the case of my new plane, there is no open pilot policy, so I added my CFI as a named pilot to my policy so that we are covered during training.

Reactions: WDD
Most of the schools I've trained and rented with require your own renter's insurance and a checkout in the glass C182 gets you checked out in all the C172s, same with a checkout in the Piper Saratoga includes all the Cherokees and Archers.
There are almost as many variations as there are flight schools/FBOs/clubs.

Not quite, but between places where the organization's insurance only protects the organization and those where the organization's insurance protects both the organizations and the pilots, there is plenty of room for differences.

The CFI is working for the student, not the insurance company. IMO it's whatever the student chooses to do.
As with any other profession, if I'm working for the student, I exercise my professional judgement about the tasks I think need to be accomplished. Of course, the creation of a plan of action includes trainee input but ultimately the tasks are my choice.

Perhaps obviously, the student can certainly say, "no, I will not do slow flight to see how this airplane operates at the performance edges," but then the student is welcome to go to a pencil whipper. I have no problem with that.

The CFI is working for the student, not the insurance company. IMO it's whatever the student chooses to do.
So during the checkout, the instructor gives the owner a list of maneuvers to accomplish (at the owner's rating level). Does the owner have the option of saying "No,, let's just do take off and landings", and is the instructor obligated to place a signoff in the owner's logbook upon completion?

Who's determining competency here?

As with any other profession, if I'm working for the student, I exercise my professional judgement about the tasks I think need to be accomplished. Of course, the creation of a plan of action includes trainee input but ultimately the tasks are my choice.

Perhaps obviously, the student can certainly say, "no, I will not do slow flight to see how this airplane operates at the performance edges," but then the student is welcome to go to a pencil whipper. I have no problem with that.
I'm just pointing out what I don't like about the use of a undefined term.

Here's the problem I have with it. I could book an hour of your time for ground school and consider that good enough. If nothing happens, nobody cares. If an accident occurs before I've racked up many hours, the insurance company would have to go to you to find out I didn't do what they expected. But:

1. Do they even have a leg to stand on to deny the claim. I did what I considered a check-out with a CFI. They did not define the term.
2. Even if I do what you consider a proper checkout, are you comfortable with being the one that said I was ok, being that they didn't define what a check-out is? It kinda puts you in the hot spot does it not?

So during the checkout, the instructor gives the owner a list of maneuvers to accomplish (at the owner's rating level). Does the owner have the option of saying "No,, let's just do take off and landings", and is the instructor obligated to place a signoff in the owner's logbook upon completion?

What's a "signoff" in a logbook? I've never heard of that. Is that an actual thing in the FARs? Does it define what should be tested? If not, #2 above is still an issue to me.

What's a "signoff" in a logbook? I've never heard of that. Is that an actual thing in the FARs? Does it define what should be tested? If not, #2 above is still an issue to me.

Curious, what does your insurance require for you to be qualified in the airplane you just bought?

A CFI is required to sign the logbook of any pilot who receives instruction. Signature, CFI number, and expiration date. There's no requirement to list the type of training but there's usually a column for "dual received" and "simulated instrument."

A CFI is required to sign the logbook of any pilot who receives instruction. Signature, CFI number, and expiration date. There's no requirement to list the type of training but there's usually a column for "dual received" and "simulated instrument."

Agreed. But keep in mind, insurance companies are manned with lawyers, and if as a CFI one is performing "to meet insurance requirements" in the instance of a checkout, would this CFI want to make himself a target if the owner goes out and wrecks the airplane then wants to file a claim?

It's CYA for the CFI.

I hate these insurance checkout requirements -- I do wish they would define them better.

When I get them, I just do a flight review for the pilot. In the types that I fly, there is a decent task list for checkouts from the type club, and we use that. I get a list of maneuvers that cover most scenarios. The pilot gets a log entry with some substance, not just "1.0 dual" to show his insurance company.

On this 150 deal( I just bought it), the insurance company is asking for a checkout by a CFI before my insurance is considered valid. I think it is a good idea even though it is not a whole lot different than the 172N and P models I have flown.

When I rented 172s in CA last year they asked me to get a checkout in almost every tail number 172 because they were R, S, X, Y, Z models with XYZ avionics. I thought that was too much but I guess its their aircrafts and their rules.

I am taking possession of it today after it sitting in the shop for the past 2.5 months. Its like my xmas eve...cant wait to open up my present.....that I paid for heavily. HA
Normally they require "checkouts" based on hours from a CFI with experience in the make/model. Good luck finding a CFI with experience in a C-150. Most of those that trained or instructed in C-150s are retired.

Insurance Companies, not FAA drives the requirements.

Here's the problem I have with it. I could book an hour of your time for ground school and consider that good enough. If nothing happens, nobody cares. If an accident occurs before I've racked up many hours, the insurance company would have to go to you to find out I didn't do what they expected. But:

1. Do they even have a leg to stand on to deny the claim. I did what I considered a check-out with a CFI. They did not define the term.
2. Even if I do what you consider a proper checkout, are you comfortable with being the one that said I was ok, being that they didn't define what a check-out is? It kinda puts you in the hot spot does it not?
The short answer is that "checkout," is highly unlikely to be the language in the policy (Edit: wrong - this one has it). "... must log X hours of dual instruction from an FAA Certified Flight Instructor..." is pretty standard but just as vague as to content. Cases on the provision are few and far between but the overall thrust is that it's still not about what the pilot considers dual instruction but what the CFI is willing to sign their name to.

And yes, "dual" itself is not a regulatory term but it is a common industry term referring to flight training, not ground school. If the language is indeed "checkout," I think you get the same result.

Last edited:
For the single seat aircraft I've owned, the insurance company simply required a "verbal briefing, including normal and emergency procedures" from the previous owner. No mention of any documentation required... but I was only getting liability, not hull.

But they will negotiate. For my Hatz (for which I did get hull), they wanted 5 hours dual with a CFI with time in type. I pointed the near impossibility of finding such a CFI, and they settled for just one hour with the non-CFI seller... but I had lots of small biplane time by then. I logged it as PIC, with a note "checkout from Victor".

Good luck finding a CFI with experience in a C-150. Most of those that trained or instructed in C-150s are retired.
Really? Aren't we talking about Cessna 150? I don't think there would be any trouble finding a CFI acceptable to an insurer. At absolute worst it might require a CFI to be specifically approved. And in many cases, CFIs are approved even with little or no time in type, especially in simple aircraft. (My favorite story was being approved in a Mooney Ovation with 0 time in type - I think the underwriter was smoking something with a funny small :D)

(Dual was not even an insurance requirement for the pilot, but I did some "transition" training and a flight review in a 150 last year.)

it doesn't really specify what the checkout entails.

The cessna is a 1969 C150J.
The 172s I got my certificates in were the N and P models.
I have rented (and gotten checked out) the 172 S models.
Well, you found the policy that uses that phrase.

The bottom line is that the content is going to be whatever the CFI is willing to accept in order to put their signature to in your logbook. It's really not any more complicated than that.

And it doesn't require the CFI to have specific time-in-type experience.

Last edited:
Curious, what does your insurance require for you to be qualified in the airplane you just bought?
Amazingly, not a thing. Didn't even give me a break for taking an FAA approved training course.

I have a lot of retract, complex, and high performance time, so I guess that was enough for them.

The short answer is that "checkout," is highly unlikely to be the language in the policy (Edit: wrong - this one has it). "... must log X hours of dual instruction from an FAA Certified Flight Instructor..." is pretty standard but just as vague as to content. Cases on the provision are few and far between but the overall thrust is that it's still not about what the pilot considers dual instruction but what the CFI is willing to sign their name to.

And yes, "dual" itself is not a regulatory term but it is a common industry term referring to flight training, not ground school. If the language is indeed "checkout," I think you get the same result.

OP posted his policy language. He's required to get a "checkout".

Every time I’ve tried to pin an insurance company down about whether they required something specific, it’s come back as whatever I, as the instructor, want to do. They seem to be willing to trust instructors to ensure pilot proficiency.

The cfi’s I have used put “aircraft familiarization” flight

As a CFI, for a checkout like this I normally do a mock checkride. I also make sure that I am a named pilot on the student’s insurance with a waiver of subrogation. I’d log it as aircraft familiarization with a list of maneuvers and possibly that they were within ACS standards (if they were of course).

Insurance companies have more lawyers than I do.

Forgetting the legalities, I recall the 152 (and assuming the 150), to be a VERY different airplane than the 172.
Not hard, but different.

Back