Emirates 777 Destroyed

Either that or pulling the gear up before establishing a positive climb rate. In any event they are lucky to get everyone out alive.

It may have been.. crazy that with two pilots and getting to the point of flying a Triple 7 that they would forget.. That is what this article makes it out to be.. They attempted a go-around and stalled.. https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2016/08/03/emirates-go-around-attempt-destroys-777-dubai/

That's precisely what happens in a system of training that does not establish a solid foundation. It's a rush to get the button pushers into the cockpit and trust that the aircraft's built-in technology will save them from themselves.

Either that or pulling the gear up before establishing a positive climb rate. In any event they are lucky to get everyone out alive.

Or flaps. Go around, pull flaps. oops, not enough speed. thud...

Wow that's scary...i just don't trust those commercial pilots! :p

That's precisely what happens in a system of training that does not establish a solid foundation. It's a rush to get the button pushers into the cockpit and trust that the aircraft's built-in technology will save them from themselves.

I lived in the Persian Gulf for 8 years. These airlines (Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Air in particular) were trying to expand at an incredible pace. Trying to find qualified flight deck crews to man all the airplanes they were buying was a real challenge. Layer on a culture of influence and corruption. The Gulf Air A320 crash in August 2000 was instructive. The recent downturn in oil prices may have slowed things down a little bit, but they are still adding airplanes pretty fast.

On top of that are the fundamentally different systems between the Airbus and Boeing products. One of my brother's flies B787s. He's been a McDonnell Douglas/Boeing pilot throughout (737, DC-10, 767, etc). He told me many of the Airbus pilots are finding it difficult to transition to the B787 and a flunking the sim rides - the systems are just different apparently. The Middle East fleets are predominantly Airbus, with the B777 being an exception because Airbus doesn't have an airplane to compete adequately with it. Could be the pilots transitioned from the A330 which is a very popular twin-engine wide body in these Middle East fleets - that is purely a speculation on my part however.

Don't think I will be flying on Emirates ever...

Whatever the cause, it is a testament to the crew that they got everyone off the plane.

Testament to the flight attendants probably; the pilots maybe not so much.

"It ranked seventh in a survey of the world's safest airlines by AirlineRatings.com, an independent plane safety website."

I guess the word "ranked" being past tense is appropriate here.

"It ranked seventh in a survey of the world's safest airlines by AirlineRatings.com, an independent plane safety website."

I guess the word "ranked" being past tense is appropriate here.

That ranking is based on fatalities, so this won't change it.

Metars:
OMDB 030900Z 11021KT 3000 BLDU NSC 49/07 Q0993 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 1500
OMDB 030800Z 14012KT 100V180 6000 NSC 48/09 Q0994 WS ALL RWY TEMPO 35015KT 4000 DU

All sorts of scenarios from screwed up go-around to windshear. Doubt they just forgot. Really just gotta wait and see what the boxes reveal.

Did see a video of all the morons on board getting their bags before heading to the exits.

All sorts of scenarios from screwed up go-around to windshear. Doubt they just forgot. Really just gotta wait and see what the boxes reveal.

Yeah, I'm with you here. I've only seen temps that high while operating in Vegas or Phoenix, and the shear was crazy. The MD-80 used to scream about windshear so much that we were given discretion to ignore it if we felt the approach could be continued safely - something I can't do at my current airline. But in Vegas at certain times of the year, if you flinched every time the airplane bitched, you'd just never land. I wonder if these guys got caught up in something they couldn't power out of.

...Did see a video of all the morons on board getting their bags before heading to the exits.

LOL. You should see the young female expatriate flight attendants try to get the Arab men to turn their damn cell phones off before pushback.

Testament to the flight attendants probably; the pilots maybe not so much.
Perhaps but what struck me from the video is that the scene in side the plane was chaotic and most of the pax seemed to be retraining luggage from the overhead bins. Leave the darn bags and GET OFF THE PLANE!!

A bit morbid, but I had thought of a new biz slogan for them....

Fry Emirates​

http://avherald.com
This site was the source for the description of the gear-up warning from tower followed by the go-around attempt and crash.

Interesting site -- It has lots of airliner incidents from around the world, cocisely written.

http://avherald.com
This site was the source for the description of the gear-up warning from tower followed by the go-around attempt and crash.

The same site states:

but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames

Not sure whether they in fact forgot, extended and then retracted or whether the gear warning from the tower is a red herring (similar to how military towers in the US give this warning to all approaching aircraft).

This is from the avherald comments section:

Initial report from another pilot very nearby.

Landed very hard
Rejected landing
Airborne
Go around actions commenced
Gear retraction commenced
Settled back on the runway"

Huh. I've flown that flight before (as a passenger, of course). I think I may have flown that exact aircraft, but I can't find the tail to verify. Weird.

Or flaps. Go around, pull flaps. oops, not enough speed. thud...
Can't speak for the 777, but in some airplanes the procedure is to retract flaps immediately.

Not all airplanes are the same.

In a two engine go- around the flaps in the 777 are brought from 30 to 20.
"Going around, flaps 20, check thrust, gear - up (after verifying a positive rate of climb), check missed approach altitude ". At 400' AFE a lateral mode is chosen (either LNAV or heading select) and at 800' AFE a vertical mode is chosen and the flaps are retracted on speed schedule followed by an after takeoff checklist. It all happens VERY fast.

Last edited:
Let's see what the boxes say. 49C in the METAR and likely quite a bit hotter still at the runway surface. Density altitude was likely at least a contributing factor given witness reports about the 777 struggling to gain altitude and then settling back down after an attempted go-around.

Last edited:
Supposedly a FlyDubai crew had this happen right in front of them. The 777 had the gear out but slammed down hard and bounced....and then tried to go around.....we all know how well that works.......according to the regulars most airlines performance charts don't go over 120 degrees so 49C is always the highest temp reported. Makes for some poor flying and high DA obviously..........the cabin crew must be miracle workers to unload that mess the way they did......Captain local 6,000 hours 777.......FO was from Qantas.....both are probably out in the street for now.........

Could the windshear also contribute to a stall? Headwind component suddenly diminishes, the airspeed will drop.

Did they have their sectionals out?

It may have been.. crazy that with two pilots and getting to the point of flying a Triple 7 that they would forget.. That is what this article makes it out to be.. They attempted a go-around and stalled.. https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2016/08/03/emirates-go-around-attempt-destroys-777-dubai/
the difference between 777 pilots here and 777 pilots in the middle east or Asia, is like the difference between a masters degree and an associates degree. It's so easy to get a job flying a widebody over there.

the difference between 777 pilots here and 777 pilots in the middle east or Asia, is like the difference between a masters degree and an associates degree. It's so easy to get a job flying a widebody over there.

I hope that perception continues to deepen and fester irrevocably throughout the world. It's about the only measure of income security we have as domestic pilots in the globalized labor dystopia we call present and future times. Here's a glass to more public displays of incompetency by the flags of convenience and govt subsidy market undercutting crowd.

Caveat emptor when looking for that next airline ticket. Fly US flags. :cool:

Hard to fly US flagged planes when flying between 2 non US countries, especially outside North America

Back