Eclipse Glasses?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Where is everybody purchasing their eclipse glasses? I've looked online but they only seem to offer them in quantities of 10 or more. I've read that Walmart and Lowes are selling them, but I haven't had any luck at either place. What's the scoop?

Eclipse glasses? Is that what this guy is wearing?

eclipse-550-jets.jpg

:goofy:

Hmm, I'll try there again.

At the time it said they would not be available for purchase until after July 31st. I also read that they will be sold pretty much anywhere once it gets closer... chances are you'll be able to get a pair at your local convenience store.

At the time it said they would not be available for purchase until after July 31st. I also read that they will be sold pretty much anywhere once it gets closer... chances are you'll be able to get a pair at your local convenience store.
That's what I was hoping. Maybe it's still a bit early for them to be in stores, I'll give it another week or so. If not I'll just have to order a 24 pack on Amazon.

You're missing out

I like poking around in the dark trying to find the right place....:hairraise: :lol::lol:

A friend of mine has one, I have used it a few times and it sure makes it easier to start. But I paid $2.99 for my hood and I haven't gotten my moneys worth out of it yet. Besides, I am lucky to get to weld something once or twice a year.

Where is everybody purchasing their eclipse glasses? I've looked online but they only seem to offer them in quantities of 10 or more. I've read that Walmart and Lowes are selling them, but I haven't had any luck at either place. What's the scoop?
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

https://qz.com/1040159/solar-eclips...zon-may-not-meet-nasa-safety-recommendations/

https://www.eclipseglasses.com/collections/eclipse-glasses-stock/products/stock-eclipse-glasses

This is where I got mine, but it looks like almost everything is sold out:

https://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/collections/eclipse-glasses-safe-solar-viewers

The manufacturers expect to make 100 million of them. Already made 60 million.

Out of idle curiosity, I checked if the ND1000 filter I have would be enough. This is a 10-stop filter. I can't see **** through it. Nope. Need something like 13-stops, and be sure it can filter out IR and UV.

I ordered some from Amazon, and they had them at Lowe's of all places here in Austin.

Any good photography store should have them, assuming they aren't sold out. I picked up a pair at a photo store on Michigan Ave. in Detroit back in '94 before the annular eclipse. I still have that pair, and was given another at an APS workshop a couple of months ago.

I'm taking my welding helmet with me when I go and plan to buy the glasses at the airport I'm going to if they are still available.

For cryin' out loud.... just use a welding hood....

You can buy a replacement welding hood lens at any welding shop. I have one from another eclipse years ago, and recall that it was only a few dollars.
It is certainly good enough for a quick view of the event. Another poster says "Get a #14 lens" - for what that info is worth. Follow the links he provides.

Dave

My welding hood auto darkens. Many/most? do... I don't think the sun would trigger it.

Mine has annoyingly darkened when I look directly towards a work light. Probably would looking at the sun too

There is unsafe stuff being sold out there.

American Paper Optics is a reputable manufacturer that has sold millions already.

There are alternatives to purchasing questionable glasses from budget retailers. Do you have a piece of cardboard, a piece of white paper and a pin? Build a pinhole camera! You can project the sun using binoculars as well, although I wouldn't use expensive ones as they can get quite hot. Instructions are on the website. I have used both of these methods during previous solar events and they do work. Or you could use the $2 glasses from Walmart I guess. What do you have to lose?:cool:

Lowes here has a display in the main aisle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out of idle curiosity, I checked if the ND1000 filter I have would be enough. This is a 10-stop filter. I can't see **** through it. Nope. Need something like 13-stops, and be sure it can filter out IR and UV.
Your assessment is correct, and most don't specify whether they absorb IR or (more importantly) UV as they are designed for visible light. There is probably some "roll off" outside the visible range but I have no idea how steep it is. I also looked at using crossed polarizers and found the same thing, so I'm just using the proper filter since they are cheap enough.

OK - starting an "Office Pool" for "how many Americans reported with eye injuries related to Solar Eclipse?"......

I'll start with 2000. Anyone?

You can't even place an online order from them on a Saturday (last I looked).

Same goes for Friday evenings I would suspect. That place was always a madhouse on Friday afternoons with all the employees trying to get out before sunset.

Same goes for Friday evenings I would suspect. That place was always a madhouse on Friday afternoons with all the employees trying to get out before sunset.
Yeah, their online order system shuts down from sunset Fri until sunset Sat. I think it will let you place the order, but it will hold it internally until they reopen for business - I can't remember exactly how they explain how they work that system on their Sabbath.

Back