Eclipse Glasses?

Yeah, their online order system shuts down from sunset Fri until sunset Sat. I think it will let you place the order, but it will hold it internally until they reopen for business - I can't remember exactly how they explain how they work that system on their Sabbath.
Same way elevators in Israeli hospitals work. Automated schedule that stops at every floor so no one even needs to push a button.

Same way elevators in Israeli hospitals work. Automated schedule that stops at every floor so no one even needs to push a button.

New York hospitals have them too. Kind of rough in a 20 story hospital stopping at every floor.

Not just Israeli hospitals. My dad worked on a burn unit in NYC. He would get lots of Orthodox Jewish patients because they would do stuff like leave their stove or oven on from Friday to Sunday so they didn't have to touch the controls on the Sabbath. The hospital setup an elevator that would stop on every floor on Saturday.

I was at Home Depot and noticed a refrigerator with a "Sabbath Mode" button. Apparently, in Sabbath mode, when you open the door the interior light does not come on and the compressor will turn off (or stay off).

I was at Home Depot and noticed a refrigerator with a "Sabbath Mode" button. Apparently, in Sabbath mode, when you open the door the interior light does not come on and the compressor will turn off (or stay off).
But they better remember to hit the button on Friday because they can't touch the Sabbath Mode button on the Sabbath lol

But they better remember to hit the button on Friday because they can't touch the Sabbath Mode button on the Sabbath lol
I'm sure my Samsung refrigerator could be hacked to go into Sabbath Mode automajically at the appropriate time. It's some flavor of linux I'm sure.

A fridge that would play Black Sabbath means it should be able to play some other better tunes, too. Rock on.

Wow. There are some real nutty people in this world.
If you are referring to no work Friday night to Sat night, it's a religious law there should be no work done on the Sabbath. Pushing a button to make any type of machinery operate is considered work, unless it's for medical/life saving purposes. To me, it's no sillier or nuttier than forgoing foods and activities for Lent or Ramadan. It's how many people observe religious rules.

And let's not let this devolve into religious arguments/battles again.

If you are referring to no work Friday night to Sat night, it's a religious law there should be no work done on the Sabbath. Pushing a button to make any type of machinery operate is considered work, unless it's for medical/life saving purposes. To me, it's no sillier or nuttier than forgoing foods and activities for Lent or Ramadan. It's how many people observe religious rules.

Thanks for stating this as you have.

His post was right after mine about my dad having regular burn patients as a result of people leaving their stove or oven on Fri-Sun as a loophole around the no touching buttons and dials thing. That to me is very nutty.

I find the whole forgoing certain foods and activities during Lent thing to be pretty ridiculous, even though my own wife does it, but the no touching buttons and dials on Saturday is another level IMHO.

Last edited:
His post was right after mine about my dad having regular burn patients as a result of people leaving their stove or oven on Fri-Sun as a loophole around the no touching buttons and dials thing. That to me is very nutty.

I find the whole forgoing certain foods and activities during Lent thing to be pretty ridiculous, even though my own wife does it, but the no touching buttons and dials on Saturday is another level IMHO.

Yep, that is the main thing I was referring to though I also believe many other religious observances, traditions, laws, etc. to be ridiculous.

The idea that using a hot stove that was turned on the day before is okay but the actual act of turning it on is a sin seems pretty stupid.

Also making an elevator stop on every floor just so certain people do not have to touch a button while inconveniencing others who do not have the same beliefs is ridiculous. If you do not want to push the button, why do you want to take advantage of the electrical mechanical nature of the elevator? Take the freakin' stairs.

Sorry if my disbelief in religions and my disdain for them offends anyone. No, actually I'm not sorry. They are stupid.

Hey! We all know an eclipse means the Sun God Is unhappy with us all and demands a sacrifice! :)

(Here's hoping it isn't a mid-air somewhere in the path of the totality.)

Hey! We all know an eclipse means the Sun God Is unhappy with us all and demands a sacrifice! :)

(Here's hoping it isn't a mid-air somewhere in the path of the totality.)
I had a student this summer who was very clear, that her religion did not welcome the eclipse.

I was really hoping this thread was about Eclipse the failed aircraft company making sunglasses.

You know I just realized the importance of this information.

If we get the mods some good quality eclipse glasses, they won't see any naughty posts nor complainers anymore.

Perfect. They feel like utopia has been found and ...

;)

Sorry if my disbelief in religions and my disdain for them offends anyone. No, actually I'm not sorry. They are stupid.
No worries, religious people aren't that easily offended. They are used to the ridicule. It's the irreligious that are the first to get their panties in a wad. See any local University as evidence.

Back