Duration of Class lll Medical

Nope, your both incorrect. At NO TIME does a medical certificate revert to a lower class...EVER. It all depends upon the requirements of the operation. i.e. ATP, First Class, Commercial - Second Class, Private or LSA - 3rd class. There are further provisions based upon the pilots age but that is all. So in my question. A Private Pilot under 40 has a FIRST CLASS medical...it is "good" for 60 months.

Attached is a screen shot of FAR 61.23 Duration of Medical Certificates. You have to start in the left column and then work you way to the right in the proper area for your circumstances. AND no special issuance.
.....and reading across that row.....does not include exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot. That's only good for 12 months if you're under 40 yo.

Nope, your both incorrect. At NO TIME does a medical certificate revert to a lower class...EVER.
You mean, if I have a document that says "Medical Certificate Second Class" that was issued May 15, 2014, if I pull it out today, it won't say "Medical Certificate Third Class" across the top of it?

:eek: :yikes:

Yep, it won't. I have asked people to show me one that had...still waiting.

One of aviation safety myths

You mean, if I have a document that says "Medical Certificate Second Class" that was issued May 15, 2014, if I pull it out today, it won't say "Medical Certificate Third Class" across the top of it?

:eek: :yikes:

Yep, it won't. I have asked people to show me one that had...still waiting.

One of aviation safety myths

But you can no longer exercise the privileges of 1st class after the 12 month mark. The table you attached shows that. So what's the difference?

But you can no longer exercise the privileges of 1st class after the 12 month mark. The table you attached shows that. So what's the difference?
None except the technicality that the document is what the document is. Understanding that the certificate has multiple privileges that depend on aging has some value. Much more value than the "Nyah Nyah, there's no such thing as a BFR" nonsense or "there's no such thing as 'dual'" we hear from time to time.

OTOH, I've filled out forms on online FBO stuff that required me to say it was a third class certificate because the system would list a second as "expired" and keep pestering me to get a new medical.

The attachment is a copy of the FAR 61:23

It is simply based upon the operations requirements.

If your operation requires a commercial license then your medical 1st or 2nd is good for 12 months regardless of age.

Just look at what your operation requires, what your age is and don't buy into the myth a medical drops and or reverts to a lower class.

Back to the original question.

Private pilot, first class physical, 35 years old
You have a FIRST class for 60 months

The attachment is a copy of the FAR 61:23

It is simply based upon the operations requirements.

If your operation requires a commercial license then your medical 1st or 2nd is good for 12 months regardless of age.

Just look at what your operation requires, what your age is and don't buy into the myth a medical drops and or reverts to a lower class.

Back to the original question.

Private pilot, first class physical, 35 years old

You have a FIRST class for 60 months

By that logic, your 1st class has no expiry date, so it lasts forever. It's just that you cannot exercise any privileges after the 60th month.

?????????
Logic? Just read the FAR's. I attached the actual FAR's.

Please show me where I said it never expired!

?????????

Logic? Just read the FAR's. I attached the actual FAR's.

Please show me where I said it never expired!

You didn't say that, I simply extended your argument.

Nothing in the FARs says anything about any medical expiring.

Just a simple question about a simple subject that most still do not grasp. Sorry if it offended. Despite posting a copy of 61:23, some still thinks their medical will revert to a lower class. :nono:

That will teach me to ask simple questions here.

Just a simple question about a simple subject that most still do not grasp. Sorry if it offended. Despite posting a copy of 61:23, some still thinks their medical will revert to a lower class. :nono:

That will teach me to ask simple questions here.

It doesn't expire or revert to a lower class after 60 months either.

Can't resist.

So, if I drive to Colorado, since my North Carolina drivers license is good in each state I pass through, do I suddenly have a Tennessee license when in Tennessee, Kentucky license when in...? After all, I "effectively" do, right? :D

MD11, I understand your pet peeve and actually share it a bit but there are better things to be peeved about.

I get peeved when I hear people quoting the FAR's as they think they know them. My company has even said that F/O's must get a first class every six months because even though NOT required it REVERTS to a 2nd class at the end of six....I asked for and got the deer in the headlight look in ground school to show me where any medical certificate REVERTS to a lower class that what the OPERATION requires. Been in the business since 71 and heard it when I was a student. Asked where they got the information and showed them the regs and they said "you're correct". Called OKC and was told that they revert :yikes: so I asked the lady to point me to the exact wording and she said "It really doesn't say that but people don't understand plain English"....I am not kidding. Off to other windmills...but the truth and the facts don't change because of mythical traditions.

I get peeved when I hear people quoting the FAR's as they think they know them. My company has even said that F/O's must get a first class every six months because even though NOT required it REVERTS to a 2nd class at the end of six....I asked for and got the deer in the headlight look in ground school to show me where any medical certificate REVERTS to a lower class that what the OPERATION requires. Been in the business since 71 and heard it when I was a student. Asked where they got the information and showed them the regs and they said "you're correct". Called OKC and was told that they revert :yikes: so I asked the lady to point me to the exact wording and she said "It really doesn't say that but people don't understand plain English"....I am not kidding. Off to other windmills...but the truth and the facts don't change because of mythical traditions.

The reason people say that it "reverts" is because it, effectively, does. If I say my 1st class which is 13 months old has reverted to a 3rd class it communicates what privileges I have perfectly clearly, and in fewer words than if I were forced to say "I have a first class medical but can only exercise 3rd class privileges"

The same way people say their medical "expired". If you read the FARs, medicals never "expire", they simply are not usable for any class of operation.

So, let me say this clearly. You tilting at windmills about not saying that medicals "revert" is silly and pedantic. The purpose of language is to communicate information, not to use some "magic words", and saying that someone who did their 1st class 13 months ago has a third class medical communicates the information that is relevant perfectly.

So....lets axe this a different way. How often do you need commercial privileges?.....and how often do you see an AME for your medical?

I'd imagine if you are exercising your commercial privileges you are seeing the good doc more than once every 13 months or so....and if you're older than 40 more frequent than that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back