Duration of Class lll Medical

Luigi

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Luigi
I thought it was only good for 24 Calendar months (over age 40), but I guess you can squeak nearly 25 months out of it, from the FAA AME Guide: Third-Class Medical Certificate: A third-class medical [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]c[/FONT][/FONT]ertificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus
24-calendar months for operations requiring a third-class medical certificate,

The operative word is not anything in the AME Guide. The regulation is 61.23:

Then your medical certificate expires, for that operation, at the end of the last day of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

If you were certified on May 15, 2015 the "month of the date of examination" is May 2015. The 1st month after the month of exam is June 2015, the 24 month after the month of the exam is May 2017. Your medical is good to 31 May 2017.

Last edited:
Of course that is what I adhered to, but was surprised to read the apparent contradiction!

For the love of god dont ever tell anyone its good for two years. I was yelled at once for saying that a class III medical was good for 2 years vs 24 calendar months.

Of course that is what I adhered to, but was surprised to read the apparent contradiction!
There is no contradiction, either between the AME Guide and 61.23, or between either source and what I *think* you were saying in your OP. You can indeed squeeze nearly 25 months (short 1 day, or part of a day) out of a 3rd class medical as long as it isn't an SI, and depending on when you go for the exam. It all hinges on the FAA's definition of "calendar months". Say you have your exam on May 1, 2015. Then your 3rd class expires on May 31, 2017. That's basically 25 months, since May 1, 2015 through April 30, 2017 is 24 months. But it's still only 24 "calendar months", by the FAA's definition.

So if that's what you meant, then you understood correctly. :)

The last few years I've scheduled my medical on the first day of the month following the expiration (provided it falls on regular business day), so I've gotten extra month out of my last couple of medicals. Now I work for an airline that requires they be done by the 25th of the month they expire so I won't be getting any extra freebie!

I thought it was only good for 24 Calendar months (over age 40), but I guess you can squeak nearly 25 months out of it, from the FAA AME Guide: Third-Class Medical Certificate: A third-class medical [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]c[/FONT][/FONT]ertificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus

They appear to say the same thing. Still, is it really necessary to have it worded in two different ways in two different places.

It's the government, so yes...confusion is desired.

Although the "calendar month" concept is actually pretty consistent throughout the FARs. Medical, flight review, written exams, instrument currency all use it in precisely the same way. The only exceptions are the T/O and Landing currency for day/night/tailwheel.

They appear to say the same thing. Still, is it really necessary to have it worded in two different ways in two different places.
You mean you've never failed to understand something explained in one way but did when it was explained in another? If that's the case you are very unusual.

You mean you've never failed to understand something explained in one way but did when it was explained in another? If that's the case you are very unusual.

Not what I meant at all, I would be the first to admit that it often takes multiple explanations for me to understand something.

I simply meant that if something is in the Federal Register it seems it would behoove the governing entity to present it the same way to all parties involved.

Now if this is simply an interpretation than that is different, which is possible as this is a snippet of a lengthy document.

Not what I meant at all, I would be the first to admit that it often takes multiple explanations for me to understand something.

I simply meant that if something is in the Federal Register it seems it would behoove the governing entity to present it the same way to all parties involved.

Now if this is simply an interpretation than that is different, which is possible as this is a snippet of a lengthy document.
I guess I'm not understanding your point (so you might need to explain it to me in a different way :D)

It's an entirely separate document for a different purpose so it's discussed in different language. Just like the AIM presents some regulatory information for pilots without using the exact same words as in the regulation..

But I'm not sure I understand the bolded language. As you said
They appear to say the same thing.

Not directed at you, but I am constantly amazed at how many people have so much difficulty with a concept as simple as "calendar month."

OP here, FAA AME Guide: Third-Class Medical Certificate: A third-class medical [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]c[/FONT][/FONT]ertificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus
Seems to me this says: If you get a medical May 1, it is good for all of May, plus an additional 24 calendar months. I realize this is at odds with the Fars. What am I missing?? Not May 1,2015 through May 31, 2017, but June 30, 2017

That is not what it says. It says you can get a medical in May, have all of May and an additional 24 calendar months.:dunno:

OP here, FAA AME Guide: Third-Class Medical Certificate: A third-class medical [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]c[/FONT][/FONT]ertificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus
Seems to me this says: If you get a medical May 1, it is good for all of May, plus an additional 24 calendar months. I realize this is at odds with the Fars. What am I missing?? Not May 1,2015 through May 31, 2017, but June 30, 2017
You might be missing that the additional 24 calendar months start June 1, so end of June is already 1 calendar month. 24 calendar months from the end of May, 2015 is end of May, 2017.

"The remainder of the month of issue" doesn't land you on June 1, it lands you on May 31. From there you have to count 24 calendar months.

That is not what it says. It says you can get a medical in May, have all of May and an additional 24 calendar months.:dunno:
Right. And 24 calendar months from the end of May 2015 doesn't get you into June 2017. It just gets you to the end of May.

Count the calendar months after May 2015 starting with June 2015 as #1. What month is #24?

Although the "calendar month" concept is actually pretty consistent throughout the FARs. Medical, flight review, written exams, instrument currency all use it in precisely the same way. The only exceptions are the T/O and Landing currency for day/night/tailwheel.

I've always wondered about the use of "calendar months" in government regulations. What other kind of month would they be talking about? Lunar months?

Rich

I guess I'm not understanding your point (so you might need to explain it to me in a different way :D)

It's an entirely separate document for a different purpose so it's discussed in different language. Just like the AIM presents some regulatory information for pilots without using the exact same words as in the regulation..

But I'm not sure I understand the bolded language. As you said

I guess my point wasn't that sharp :goofy: I suppose the "different purpose" part is where I was both picking and the part I was missing. Clarity is good, and if that is what this passage is meant to be it makes sense.

When I first read it I was under the impression this is what was being presented to the AME in place of the reg. Guess, I misunderstood. At anyrate I didn't mean to over analyze, it was just a tongue in cheek observation about the way government functions at times. :)

I've always wondered about the use of "calendar months" in government regulations. What other kind of month would they be talking about? Lunar months?

Rich
If they were talking about "24 months" then a May 5 medical would expire on May 5 two years later, technically at the same time you took the physical. I agree that "calendar months" is unclear from a plain English perspective but you just need to learn what it means.

Rich
Like any other endeavor, business or pleasure, there is jargon that you are required to understand. I have no idea what else you do, but I will bet there are plenty of them.

"Calendar month" in FAA jargon is about as simple as it gets. It just means you look at the month and year when you count and forget the day of the month.

Today in "normal date": May 25, 2015.
Today in "calendar month" jargon: May 2015.

As I said before, I am constantly amazed how such a incredibly simple concept gets misunderstood. My only problem with it is counting to 24! That's the hard part!

Last edited:
Ok guys and gals, answer this

35 year old Private Pilot goes in and for whatever reason gets a First a Class Physical
What is the duration of his First Class Physical?

35 year old Private Pilot goes in and for whatever reason gets a First a Class Physical

6 months. Then it reverts to 2nd for the remainder of the year, then 3rd for 4 more years.

Dunno, 30 minutes to an hour or so, never done a 1st class.

Nope, your both incorrect. At NO TIME does a medical certificate revert to a lower class...EVER. It all depends upon the requirements of the operation. i.e. ATP, First Class, Commercial - Second Class, Private or LSA - 3rd class. There are further provisions based upon the pilots age but that is all. So in my question. A Private Pilot under 40 has a FIRST CLASS medical...it is "good" for 60 months.

Attached is a screen shot of FAR 61.23 Duration of Medical Certificates. You have to start in the left column and then work you way to the right in the proper area for your circumstances. AND no special issuance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 1.28.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 1.28.09 PM.png
    772.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back