Durango

GaryP1007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GaryP1007
Has anyone flown into Durango? Visited the city? A worthwhile destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never came near it. It may be the same genre as Wink, TX (KINK). Roy Orbison's home town. Rocks in June to celebrate his birthday.

Has anyone flown into Durango? Visited the city? A worthwhile destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to fly there frequently for vacation, but that was 20 years ago. I used to rent a car (which they will bring to the airport) and then you can drive up along the georgous highway to several mountain towns. It used to be a great day trip from ABQ.

The train is a blast to ride. When we did it back in the 70's, you had to order your tickets about 8 months in advance. The train pulled out of Durango, made a water stop about half way and then stopped in Silverton. You had a 2-3 hour layover in Silverton for lunch and other stuff around the town, while the crew turned the train around for the return to Durango. At the time we went, they only ran during the summer months, and they only had the open cars. If you go and are shop type guy, they also have tours of the working yard and the shop. If I remember correctly, they are the 2nd or 3rd largest steam locomotive shop in operation the US, with UP being the largest.

Great area!! Check out Pagosa Springs, Silverton and Lake Vallicito while you're in the area. All cool!

I have spent many weeks in that area. Lots and lots to do and see. Just driving the million dollar highway and its highlights will take a weekend.

I stop by there once or twice a year from Texas. The train is a "must do" ... there are several old hotels worth staying in. Don't go on a holiday as the bikers are there and the prices go up. You can land at 00C which is closer to town, but you'll need a ride in or at KDRO a little farther out ... I hear KDRO can give sticker shock occasionally and I don't think they rent vehicles but am not sure.

Foreflight says KDRO can get rentals and that they waive fees with fuel (expensive fuel)

it's on my list of places to fly to

Drove through there a few years ago when on an RV trip to the grand canyon. Great little town, lots of places to eat, nice train museum although we didn't have time for the ride. not far from Mesa Verde which i worth a visit.

We spent an afternoon and evening there for dinner after staying at Mesa Verde. Would have stayed the night and spent some more $$ there the next day, but the RV park was full and the town is not at all RV friendly (ordinance against staying at the walmart. etc...) so since they didn't want any more of my money I moved on. Ended up finding the ruins in Aztec NM the next day, which were a nice suprised find.

Flew there the first part of June, for vacation. Great airport. We spent a lot of time sightseeing between Durango and Ouray. It’s beautiful country. We stayed at the Adventure Inn, in Durango. Nothing fancy, but clean and updated. I’d recommend the trip.

I am local to the area and work in Durango. Yes, it is a great place to visit. Fairly easy trip from the PHX area, at least until snow season starts. Did you have a specific question?
Jon

4 times between 1993 and 2011. Once for business. The others for pleasure. Great place! View of Mesa Verde from the air was awsime!

Never came near it. It may be the same genre as Wink, TX (KINK). Roy Orbison's home town. Rocks in June to celebrate his birthday.
WTF does this post even mean? What's the point of it??

If you are in the Durango area and are comfortable with mountain flying, a hop into Telluride is spectacular and unforgettable. Also Santa Fe, Monument Valley and Taos are burned into my memory as “uniquely unique”. BTW all those airports have user friendly transportation available for a ride or crew car to a number of restaurants.

My plane was based at DRO when I bought it. Had been there once before. It's different as it is not on the I-70 corridor so not as commercialized as other Colorado towns. It's also not a ski town as the ski area is a bit up the road. It's a walkable town with great views and activities if you like the outdoors. While it is in the mountains it's not like flying into Eagle, Vail, Aspen, etc. as the south part of the state is basically a high plain with mountains around it. If you fly from the south the peaks are much lower. We flew from DRO to EIK when we left and basically flew southeast into northern NM and then up along the west side of the front range then through a pass near Bailey, CO.

Back