Dual G5 question…

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
Let’s say this is a 172 VFR only airplane. Old and aging vacuum system and AI and DG. They work for now. I’m thinking about installing dual G5’s. How much am I really missing out by not slaving them to my 250Xl?

Last edited:
Gives you a nice upgrade path to one of the 2” Garmin navigators in the future for reasonable cost.

Not much, but you will get an HSI on the DG if you connect to the 250XL. You would get to (and required to) remove the CDI for the 250. I don’t see the 250xl listed in the G5 install manual, but it may have been added in a later version.

Gives you a nice upgrade path to one of the 2” Garmin navigators in the future for reasonable cost.
Can you further explain what that is ? Thanks.

You could replace the 250xl with a GPS175, GNC355 or GNX375. That would require that you add a GAD29, so make sure they wire the harness for that with the connector in reach of where the GAD29 can be mounted.

I see. Thanks.

Let’s say this is a 172 VFR only airplane. Old and aging vacuum system and AI and DG. They work for now. I’m thinking about installing dual G5’s. How much am I really missing out by not slaving them to my 250Xl?
If you VFR only I wouldn’t not invest in G5s.

If you VFR only I wouldn’t not invest in G5s.
My question is how much more modern equipment would I have to invest in to get it IFR ?

G5s are nice - but why not the more capable 275’s?

Add a Garmin 175 and you’re IFR. (Assuming you already gave at least one nav radio).

Last edited:

Add a Garmin 175 and you’re IFR. (Assuming you already gave at least one nav radio).
Money. Simply.

Right now it's availability. Just went through this with my Bonanza. G5's are available this week, GI 275 are available in 6 months. Since my AI died, I'd rather be up and flying, rather than putting in a temp fix.

Yikes - Six months? Chip shortage plus unplanned boost in demand I guess.

I think you would not greatly benefit from G5s unless you are flying IFR and would benefit from WAAS GPSS roll steering and autopilot integration. For IFR, dual G5s or the equivalent make IFR quite a bit simpler, and offer immunity from vacuum system failures, which are common enough to be prepared for and worry about if flying IFR a lot.

Last edited:
Cost of new vacuum pump, hoses, new vacuum powered DG and Attitude Indicator vs cost of two G5’s?

That difference will allow you a lot of scalability, closer to a nice IFR set up, etc.

I think it would be worth it. But then - it’s easy to say when it’s not my money!

My question is whether you intend to keep it VFR-only. If so then just remove stuff without replacing as they break. If you are worried about inadvertent VFR into IMC, install a NORSEE AI such as an AV-20C.

My question is whether you intend to keep it VFR-only. If so then just remove stuff without replacing as they break. If you are worried about inadvertent VFR into IMC, install a NORSEE AI such as an AV-20C.
I plan to upgrade to an IFR GPS at some point.

I plan to upgrade to an IFR GPS at some point.
Then I revert to original suggestion of biting the bullet and do two 275’s in six months. You don’t need it immediately. Six months will help save for it. And six months is a small wait for a plane with 275’s that you’ll have for 10 years / long term ownership

Then I revert to original suggestion of biting the bullet and do two 275’s in six months. You don’t need it immediately. Six months will help save for it. And six months is a small wait for a plane with 275’s that you’ll have for 10 years / long term ownership
What is it they makes you like the 275’s that much more?

Sharper and brighter screen, can be a gateway to load ifr plans from your tablet, better future scalability and future proofing. I’m guessing you’ll probably find it will be supported longer than the G5 at this point.

It’s the GTN 650 vs 430 argument.

Don’t get me wrong - one of our club planes has a set of G5s, and they’re great. If you end up with a set of G5s you’d love it. I’m looking at this from a “what would I buy today given I’m keeping this plane for a long time” POV. And …… it’s not my money I’m freely spending. :)

What is it they makes you like the 275’s that much more?

What I like about the 275 is that it can replace three primary instruments vs the G5 that just replaces one as primary in a two display install.

We had this discussion last summer in our partnership and decided 2x 275s become really valuable with an auto pilot and complete panel redo, otherwise 2x G5s did everything we wanted at a much lower price.

Personally, if you’re going to add two of either, take the VFR/IFR certification out of the question. Include the stuff necessary for an IFR certification is somebody else wants to take that on, otherwise you limit buyer audiences in the future.

What I like about the 275 is that it can replace three primary instruments vs the G5 that just replaces one as primary in a two display install.

????

We own and fly two aircraft where the dual G5s replaced three instruments in each airplane as primary, the attitude gryo, the direction gyro and the CDI of the the #1 GPS.

????

We own and fly two aircraft where the dual G5s replaced three instruments in each airplane as primary, the attitude gryo, the direction gyro and the CDI of the the #1 GPS.

GI275 PFD is primary for AI, Airspeed, Altimeter. If a second GI275 (HSI) is installed for reversion, then that 275 is backup for all three.

The G5 PFD is primary for AI/AHI, secondary for all others, as is the reversionary G5, therefore primary airspeed and altitude instruments must still be retained.

Do the 275’s “play nicer” / compatible with a wider range of autopilots that might be contemplated in the future / scalability?

Do the 275’s “play nicer” / compatible with a wider range of autopilots that might be contemplated in the future / scalability?

Yes, especially older analog autopilots with the +AP variants.

Back