Dropped the new bird at the avionics shop Friday!

Personal story: Years ago I locked my keys in the house (thought I lost them). I called a locksmith - allegedly a professional. He charged me a fee just to show, then a fee to "do something". Then he said that he couldn't get in and asked my permission 'to cause slight damage to the lock, latch, etc' to which I naively consented. After he BROKE in, he offered to replace the lock - for a cost of course, which is where I got off the ride. I later realized I'd been hustled and could have broken in my damn self for free.

Also shows the lock wasn't worth a single penny if there was a simpler way around it. (Unless it was backed by a monitored alarm that wasn't quite so easy to defeat and/or other measures beyond the lock to protect whatever the lock wasn't really protecting.) ;)

Some might say "Well, it might cut the loss by a little."

Every little bit helps! :D
My son's truck was broken into about a month ago and his class ring was recovered by the local Peachtree City GA PD, their office is about a mile from the avionics shop. When I was talking to the investigator that recovered the ring, he told me he was looking for a new Explorer for his pregnant wife, they drove up and bought one the next weekend.:yes: So, my son got his ring back and I sold a car, worked out well that time. :D

Every little bit helps! :D
My son's truck was broken into about a month ago and his class ring was recovered by the local Peachtree City GA PD, their office is about a mile from the avionics shop. When I was talking to the investigator that recovered the ring, he told me he was looking for a new Explorer for his pregnant wife, they drove up and bought one the next weekend.:yes: So, my son got his ring back and I sold a car, worked out well that time. :D

Random networking is a wonderful thing...:yes::);)

Update number...............whatever...................flew down and looked at the plane today, it's like having a baby, we're getting closer each day, but today ain't the day!:mad2: The guys are there putting the headliner back in and it was going OK when I left, still a chance that we will have to replace some part of the headliner.:dunno: The wiring is pretty much complete, the panel is ready for primer, should be painted tomorrow. I think Friday is the day they power everything up and check it, then install the panel and panel mounted boxes on Monday. Again, it looks like the middle of next week.
I am flying to Destin next weekend for a fishing trip, either in the Conquest or with a buddy in his 421, I really want to fly my new airplane with my new glass cockpit!! But, not if it's not 100% complete and squawk-free! :D

So… Can you point the newbie in the direction of the pictures?

:lol::rofl:...

I ain't going higher then 83.7% squawk free.....:no:.

And don't pick it up on a Monday either...:nonod:..:D

I'd pick it up Monday if it was ready, but after talking to the interior guy tonight, it looks like Tuesday or Wednesday are more likely. At this point I am just getting tried of being without the plane! :mad2:

So… Can you point the newbie in the direction of the pictures?

Jim, they are on the first page of the thread! I would have taken more today, but it didn't look different enough to show any differences!:mad2:
They look a bit like an airplane horror movie! :yikes:

Last edited:
Jim, they are on the first page of the thread! I would have taken more today, but it didn't look different enough to show any differences!:mad2:
They look a bit like an airplane horror movie! :yikes:

I saw the sausage being made, I was thinking more exterior photos

Have you played with the G600 sim you can download from Garmin? That system is pretty intuitive but it is worth it to spend some time on your computer learning the pages and sub pages.

I seriously hope all you know that pretty much each and every one of these airplanes is essentially a one-of-a-kind deal. I see STCs for Learjet, Cessna, Dassault, Hawker etc avionics that were written and approved for serial XX that assumes the wiring that was in the STC project ship also exists in the other serials covered by the STC, but much of it isn't there.

I seriously hope all you know that pretty much each and every one of these airplanes is essentially a one-of-a-kind deal. I see STCs for Learjet, Cessna, Dassault, Hawker etc avionics that were written and approved for serial XX that assumes the wiring that was in the STC project ship also exists in the other serials covered by the STC, but much of it isn't there.

I hope the paperwork is correct, they figured $6900.00 for engineering on their "second" estimate! :yikes:

I hope the paperwork is correct, they figured $6900.00 for engineering on their "second" estimate! :yikes:

Many avionics STC's that exist DO NOT contain FAA approved data on how or where to mount the said remote boxes in the airplane. A lot of them have some BS drawing that shows the rack and the box and it has some BS catch all phrase "mount via FAA approved meathods", which leaves it up to the installer to design, certify and install. Antennas are in the same boat.

It's really a PITA deal, but since the STC holder has no idea if the avionics self they used in the STC project ship exists in other serial numbers or if there is even space available if it does exists.

STC project ship = the airplane originally altered to get the STC issued.

Last edited:
Two updated pictures I received last night from the maintenance director:
Headliner re-installed and the remote boxes in the nose area, coming right along. ;)

That nose area looks bigger than some airplanes. ;)

Have you played with the G600 sim you can download from Garmin? That system is pretty intuitive but it is worth it to spend some time on your computer learning the pages and sub pages.

I do have it on my computer at work, it's paired with a 530, it seems simple enough, but I'd like to find a 750 sim to play with! They have a few videos online and I think it's going to be fairly intuitive once I get an hour or two in the cockpit with the power cart plugged in!:D
Last estimate is we're looking at Wednesday, I just hope it's THIS Wednesday!!:mad2:

The shop I use has a demo unit mounted on a panel in the lobby, along with a 600, 650 and Aspen Evo.

I do have it on my computer at work, it's paired with a 530, it seems simple enough, but I'd like to find a 750 sim to play with! They have a few videos online and I think it's going to be fairly intuitive once I get an hour or two in the cockpit with the power cart plugged in!:D
Last estimate is we're looking at Wednesday, I just hope it's THIS Wednesday!!:mad2:

My shop's fridge with cold drinks is only a few feet from the demo panel. Men's room is just around the corner. A/C stays on 72. If you angle your chair just a bit they can't tell if you're practicing or napping.:D

Any hands-on demo is amazingly effective, my interest in the Aspen was rekindled while playing with their demo unit. Make them use a sign-in sheet for your plane and negotiate a royalty.:smilewinkgrin:

My shop has a 425 in the hangar that they are using as a demo! :D

Last edited:
Well, I just heard from the shop, actually I spoke with the director of maintenance and exchanged emails the president of the company. DM said tomorrow afternoon, maybe, president said Thursday afternoon. So, my guess is Friday around noon! :mad2::mad2:

My shop's fridge with cold drinks is only a few feet from the demo panel. Men's room is just around the corner. A/C stays on 72. If you angle your chair just a bit they can't tell if you're practicing or napping.:D

Any hands-on demo is amazingly effective, my interest in the Aspen was rekindled while playing with their demo unit. Make them use a sign-in sheet for your plane and negotiate a royalty.:smilewinkgrin:

Well, I just heard from the shop, actually I spoke with the director of maintenance and exchanged emails the president of the company. DM said tomorrow afternoon, maybe, president said Thursday afternoon. So, my guess is Friday around noon of December! :mad2::mad2:

FTFY ;)

Well, I just heard from the shop, actually I spoke with the director of maintenance and exchanged emails the president of the company. DM said tomorrow afternoon, maybe, president said Thursday afternoon. So, my guess is Friday around noon! :mad2::mad2:

Your avionics install is sounding like my mooney bladders install. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Well, I just heard from the shop, actually I spoke with the director of maintenance and exchanged emails the president of the company. DM said tomorrow afternoon, maybe, president said Thursday afternoon. So, my guess is December around noon!

Ya didn't ask which December....:lol::rolleyes2:

Your avionics install is sounding like my mooney bladders install. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

If it was just the time, I wouldn't be so ****ed off, it's also the money! I'm expecting an invoice before I go down to pick it up, but she hasn't been in a huge hurry to have that conversation.:rolleyes:

If it was just the time, I wouldn't be so ****ed off, it's also the money! I'm expecting an invoice before I go down to pick it up, but she hasn't been in a huge hurry to have that conversation.:rolleyes:

I'll be curious to see how that goes...

I'll be curious to see how that goes...

I'm actually dreading it, I'm just not a confrontational guy and I see this turning ugly, but I hope I'm wrong! I do have the name of a good aviation attorney that was recommended to me by a guy that owns a local FBO. :dunno:

I'm actually dreading it, I'm just not a confrontational guy and I see this turning ugly, but I hope I'm wrong! I do have the name of a good aviation attorney that was recommended to me by a guy that owns a local FBO. :dunno:

I'm the same (not someone who enjoys confrontation) so I know where you're coming from. Hopefully it won't get to needing attorneys since that just makes it ugly for everyone involved.

I'm the same (not someone who enjoys confrontation) so I know where you're coming from. Hopefully it won't get to needing attorneys since that just makes it ugly for everyone involved.

I'll feel a lot better when I see the invoice. :dunno:

My mechanic expected to go over quote by about 30 hours - but he also said that he wouldn't charge me for anything over 10 hours over, AND if it was less than 10 hours over quote he would charge me half price for the labor. THAT is helping the customer, and I get why it's taking them so long. They are a small shop with 2 mechanics, and don't have the volume of A&Ps to get everything done super fast, and I'd venture to guess my plane is a low priority since I'm 800 miles away.

Also my mechanic knows that for an airplane owner (especially a relatively higher end one) I am not particularly wealthy, and I don't want to ask my parents for help on this. I told my mechanic that, and that's when he came up with that system. He said "Yeah, I remember starting out too."

He's a good, good guy.

Back