Dropped the new bird at the avionics shop Friday!

Yep, it will be like today's KLN 90B's and KX155's! ;)
Yep, and many of which are still happily soldiering on for owners who still have their money in their pocket.:D

This! With the Garmin boxes I'd been flying in the club's 182 and DA40, I looked down my nose at the ol' Kings... But now that I'm flying the Mooney with its 1997 state-of-the-art King package, well, it works great! KFC 150 autopilot/flight director, HSI, 89B GPS, KX165, KX155, KN64, KR87. I admit I might feel differently if the HSI wasn't there, but with it there I don't miss the detailed map on the Garmins at all.

This! With the Garmin boxes I'd been flying in the club's 182 and DA40, I looked down my nose at the ol' Kings... But now that I'm flying the Mooney with its 1997 state-of-the-art King package, well, it works great! KFC 150 autopilot/flight director, HSI, 89B GPS, KX165, KX155, KN64, KR87. I admit I might feel differently if the HSI wasn't there, but with it there I don't miss the detailed map on the Garmins at all.

Yeah, but when you get back in a bird that's just as fast and has a nicer panel, you'll say "Man, I don't miss that old King stack one bit." ;)

Yeah, but when you get back in a bird that's just as fast and has a nicer panel, you'll say "Man, I don't miss that old King stack one bit." ;)

Back? I've never been in a bird that's both as fast as the M20R and has a nicer panel. One of the other two Ovations based at my home field has a G1000 and FIKI TKS, tho - Droooooooool!

I agree, when I bought the 182 almost 3 years ago, it had dual KX-155's and an old 90B that had a broken gear or something in one knob, basically it showed groundspeed.:dunno: I figured I'd use my newly purchased 396 as a GPS and leave all the other stuff until my son got his ticket. :D 5 months later I was having a 430W installed.:dunno: Now I just swapped it for the 530W out of the Conquest, once you get used to the nicer maps and displays, it's hard to go back.:mad2:

Back? I've never been in a bird that's both as fast as the M20R and has a nicer panel. One of the other two Ovations based at my home field has a G1000 and FIKI TKS, tho - Droooooooool!

You take my point, though. Once you've got the speed AND the panel, you'll not want to go back to the old panel.

Similarly, when people buy planes, they want nicer panels.

I agree, when I bought the 182 almost 3 years ago, it had dual KX-155's and an old 90B that had a broken gear or something in one knob, basically it showed groundspeed.:dunno: I figured I'd use my newly purchased 396 as a GPS and leave all the other stuff until my son got his ticket. :D 5 months later I was having a 430W installed.:dunno: Now I just swapped it for the 530W out of the Conquest, once you get used to the nicer maps and displays, it's hard to go back.:mad2:

I think Garmin products come with heroin attached - it explains the addictive factor. ;)

When I did the avionics upgrade in the Aztec, I didn't have much time flying a 430/530 (in fact, virtually none) so I was happy with the KLN94 and KX155A I had installed. Now that I've been spoiled using the Garmin products for the past 3-4 years, I would definitely feel disgruntled about going back. Even having a 430 instead of the 530 would be a downgrade. Don't forget the Aspen. :D

I do think all of those shiny gismos do add to situational awareness and safey, plus reduced workload. I also use the tools of the panel extensively.

Got the last of the bugs fixed today from the install, defrost vent not hooked up and windshield heat not working, had a wire on connected. Pretty simple stuff.:yes:
Once you've flown with a good moving map GPS it's hard to go back to something without it, especially around areas like ATL with the Class B, manuvering with the iPad is OK, but I do like the panel mounts for staying clear. :D
The shop had a Caravan in for some upgrades, it has 2-650's, they are swapping one of the 650's for a 750.:D Of course we are paying for it, government plane!:mad2:

You take my point, though. Once you've got the speed AND the panel, you'll not want to go back to the old panel.

Similarly, when people buy planes, they want nicer panels.

I think Garmin products come with heroin attached - it explains the addictive factor. ;)

When I did the avionics upgrade in the Aztec, I didn't have much time flying a 430/530 (in fact, virtually none) so I was happy with the KLN94 and KX155A I had installed. Now that I've been spoiled using the Garmin products for the past 3-4 years, I would definitely feel disgruntled about going back. Even having a 430 instead of the 530 would be a downgrade. Don't forget the Aspen. :D

I do think all of those shiny gismos do add to situational awareness and safey, plus reduced workload. I also use the tools of the panel extensively.

Got the last of the bugs fixed today from the install, defrost vent not hooked up and windshield heat not working, had a wire on connected. Pretty simple stuff.:yes:
Once you've flown with a good moving map GPS it's hard to go back to something without it, especially around areas like ATL with the Class B, manuvering with the iPad is OK, but I do like the panel mounts for staying clear. :D
The shop had a Caravan in for some upgrades, it has 2-650's, they are swapping one of the 650's for a 750.:D Of course we are paying for it, government plane!:mad2:

John -- good to hear the final bugs are being worked out. I haven't followed your situation in a bit, sorry. Did you end with GPSS as well? I think that was the biggest value I saw on my upgrade.

BTW -- wonder if the government bid out the 650 to the 750. Lowest bid or GSA pricing, right? ;)

I'm guessing the synthetic vision is going to be the next thing you “can't live without” in short order.

You're going to look at that 530 in the 182 like you do now looking at VOR needles:D

John -- good to hear the final bugs are being worked out. I haven't followed your situation in a bit, sorry. Did you end with GPSS as well? I think that was the biggest value I saw on my upgrade.

BTW -- wonder if the government bid out the 650 to the 750. Lowest bid or GSA pricing, right? ;)

Yes I have GPSS, I think it's standard with the G600, at least I didn't see. It as a separate line item.:D I think they bid on the government work, 2 650's really don't make sense, I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put a 750/650 in to start with?:dunno:

I'm guessing the synthetic vision is going to be the next thing you “can't live without” in short order.

You're going to look at that 530 in the 182 like you do now looking at VOR needles:D

Yeah, an Aspen would look good in there!:yes:

Back