Double Gear Up within 10 years

Yup... That is the reason for the M. :p
Yeah I just dont do acronyms because the M could be for something else. Memorize an acronym just to try and remember what each letter is. How about just a flow with a checklist?

Yeah I just dont do acronyms because the M could be for something else. Memorize an acronym just to try and remember what each letter is. How about just a flow with a checklist?

Chek leest?

Back when I was getting my complex endorsement (a long time ago) my CFI (who had flown for an airline and was a stickler for checklists) taught the gear this way:

Midfield, down wind. Drop the gear, check "three green".
Turn base, check "three green".
Turn final, check "three green".
Short final, check "three green".

He had never had a gear up landing and did not plan on having one in the future.

This saga of the airplane and logs is getting scary. One gear up, years and 600 hours ago, properly documented in the log book, wouldn't worry me. The second one, now I'm starting to worry, especially since it doesn't appear that the log entries are quite right. Now you've found another set of entries that suggest a third gear up landing. Not disclosed by the seller. At this point, I'd seriously consider walking.

I used to love flying into a mixed use field and they would regularly say "CHECK GEAR DOWN" to the 172 as I entered the traffic area. I learned to just report in with "gear down and locked."

The only time I've talked to military controllers was doing PARs into KNFW. (we could shoot them, but low approach only)

Confirming checklist complete was interesting. Not sure if they've changed their procedures. Been about 5 years now.

With me it depends on the aircraft. Whether it is a complex, has a boost pump, or if the POH demands Carb Heat. Regardless the aircraft, however, U is always Undercarriage.

For example, in a 'simple' 172:

Belts - Fastened
Carb Heat - On below the green arc
Gas - On Both
Undercarriage - Down and bolted.
Mixture - Rich (or set for DA)
Power - as needed, initially 1500 RPM
Switches - Confirm all switches are set as applicable.

Whereas for an M20J:

Boost pump - On
Check for traffic
Gas - On fullest tank
Undercarriage - Down and locked. Two green.
Mixture - Rich (or set for DA)
Prop - Full forward once off the govenor
Seatbelts and Switches
Check for traffic? Isn’t the boost pump operated by a switch? I guess we need a bigger mnemonic for every part of flying a plane. Y for move the yoke. T for change the throttle. R for use the rudder. L for look out the window. A for get your head out of your... well you get my point. Seems like gumps covers it to me.

GUMPS

Gear down
Undercarriage down
Make certain the gear is down
Put your hand on the bloody switch and make certain the gear is down
Secure the undercarriage down.

GUMPS check prior to posting on POA:

G et ready to argue
U tilize all argumentative skills to the fullest
M ake sure you are not agreeing with other posters
P ost away!
S ee the responses opposing your point of view

(repeat GUMPS....)

Generic statement
Ugly personalities surface
Make snide baseless comments
Pontification
Sadness....check.

Jesus H Christ... Upon further review, we have a 3rd gear up that has been discovered with vague entries. This would be 3 in 18 years. Think that’s about all I can stomach. Unless the community can convince me otherwise, I think that’s just about the worst I’ve seen yet.
What did you do?

Back