Does the Citation ISP (CE501) require a Single Pilot Exemption/Waiver?

Toby Rice

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Toby
Hi all,

I’ve sought much advice but have found little success. I’ll ask here. It’s on the Citation ISP (CE501).

I am PIC typed rated in the CE500 series. I took the check ride in a CE550 simulator. I don’t have 500 hours turbine time.

I need to know if I can fly the CE501 right now without any additional requirements by the FAA. Insurance and I have already hashed it out, so disregard that aspect. We’re talking FAA-only.

The FSB report for the 501 says that if you take the check ride in a 501/551 as a single pilot, you can fly them single pilot. But if you take the check ride in a 501/551 with a copilot, your certificate will say “SIC required.”

I took the check ride in a 550 simulator. I don’t have any SIC limits on my certificate.

My client has a CE501, which says in the TCDS that it requires one pilot plus certain equipment, or two pilots.

Can I fly the CE501 (Citation 1SP) single pilot without a waiver or exemption right now with my clean CE500 type rating?

There are two posts already up that talks about this. You can find them under these titles:

CE-500 Single Pilot Waiver vs. CE-525S Single Pilot experience requirements

CE-501SP Single-pilot rules and confusion

The CE-500 type rating privileges is confusing. My understanding is If you took your checkride with two pilots you cannot fly a 500/551 single pilot. You would need another check, with an examiner I believe, to demonstrate that you can fly it SP. After that ride you should get a logbook entry stating, "I certify soandso on ##/##/### in accordance with FAR 61.43(b)(2) has successfully Demonstrated their ability to act as a Pilot in Command, Single Pilot in the Cessna Citation CE-501/551." That is what mine says, and it is only good for 1 year.

The reason you do not have SIC required is because you took your type ride in a 550 which is a two pilot airplane.
"(b) An applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes a CE-500 pilot type rating practical test in a Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560, as appropriate, and uses the services of an SIC pilot crewmember, will be issued a CE-500 pilot type rating. The examiner will record the results of the practical test in the applicant’s logbook as “Satisfactorily accomplished the CE-500 pilot type rating with an SIC crewmember in a [Cessna 500] [Cessna 550] [Cessna S550] [Cessna 552] [Cessna 560].” Since the Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, and Cessna 560 type certifications require an SIC crewmember, the applicant’s pilot certificate and CE-500 airplane type rating need not contain the limitation “Second-in-Command Required.”"
From 8900.2C -General Aviation Airman Designee Handbook (faa.gov) Citation info starts on PDF page 200.

I got my CE500 type in 1985 plus I have held the single pilot exemption for the last 15 years. After flying them for 20 years I am still learning about the type's privileges.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I took my CE-500 type ride in a CE-550 sim with a copilot and my certificate says “SIC Required”. I cannot fly the 500/501 single pilot unless I retake the checkride single pilot. Even though those models are certified single pilot.

If my cert didn’t say SIC required, then I would also have to comply with the plane requirements (like operable auto pilot, boom mic, etc).

How long ago did you earn your initial? Have you done annual recurrent?

@texasclouds

I’m fresh out of school. Got the type two days ago.

We could argue why I shouldn’t be flying single pilot with an rating that so new, but by the time insurance will approve, I’m going to have 50-100 hours in the 501 with an instructor anyway, so our bases will be covered there.

That’s weird about the “SIC required” on your certificate. I took my check ride in a CE550 simulator with a copilot and I have no such limitation. The only thing is has is the SOE requirement for 25 hours.

It seems that everyone, the FAA and training centers and DPEs included, really have no idea how this works! Your certificate says one thing… mine says another… his says another… ??? One of the TCEs at the training center says I can fly it single pilot right now because it’s a part 23 airplane and doesn’t require two pilots.

Now given that the 501 is certified for single-pilot, I understand that I “might” need a 61.43(b)(2) endorsement and a flight check in the 501 to fly it single pilot, but will I need the entire 500 hours turbine time?

Again, I’m not even sure that I need the 61.43 check ride, but so far that seems to be a good move to “cover my rear end” if I get ramp checked.

@Plano Pilot

I definitely don’t have “SIC required” on my ticket. It’s odd that @texasclouds has the limitation even though we tested in an identical environment…

The 61.43 endorsement makes sense, but it that the same legalese as the single pilot waiver/exemption? (500 hours turbine, etc.)

Additionally, my TCE did not jot down that I “Satisfactorily accomplished the CE-500 pilot type rating with an SIC crewmember in a Cessna 550.”

Needless to say, I am confused at a higher level.

Any thoughts? I greatly appreciate BOTH of you for responding!

...get a logbook entry stating, "I certify soandso on ##/##/### in accordance with FAR 61.43(b)(2) has successfully Demonstrated their ability to act as a Pilot in Command, Single Pilot in the Cessna Citation CE-501/551." ....

thank you for the verbiage. now if I can only get my hands on an examiner ID........ ;)

The Single Pilot Exemption is for CE500's that requires two pilots, not for 501/551's.

I did find this Q&A from 2000:
"QUESTION 1: As per §61.43(b), our read on this new rule would allow somebody to qualify in a Cessna 500 or 550 for a CE-500 type rating and then operate a Cessna 501 or 551 as a PIC FAQs Part 61 With Chg #11, 04/27/2000 All Q&A’s from #1 through #374 41 without an SIC. As you know the Cessna 500 and 550 are airplanes that require an SIC and the Cessna 501 and 551 do not require an SIC. However, it is possible for a person to take his checkride in a Cessna 500 or 550 and never have demonstrated PIC proficiency without having an SIC on board. But because the Cessna 500, 501, 550, and 551 all have the same "CE-500" type rating on a person's pilot certificate, it is possible for that same person to take his practical test in a Cessna 500 or 550 and then be legal to serve as a PIC on a Cessna 501 and 551 without an SIC.
ANSWER 1: The new §61.43(b) neither added to or subtracted from the possibility of this happening. In a review of this issue, we agree that the possibility of this happening is possible, but as it has always been said ALL the rules in the world will not prevent stupidity. However, to date this office is not aware of any cases where persons who qualified in a Cessna 500 or 550 are operating Cessna 501's and 551's as a PIC in solo flight. Do you know of any such cases where this is occurring or has occurred?"

From pages 40 and 41 of FAQsPT61.PDF (cfimichael.com)

Also, forgive me if my reading comprehension is lacking, but it sounds like you may be a greenhorn. A greenhorn flying this plane SP is a great way to turn into a smoking hole, become an NTSB report, and fly west. Nice knowing you.

Also, forgive me if my reading comprehension is lacking, but it sounds like you may be a greenhorn. A greenhorn flying this plane SP is a great way to turn into a smoking hole, become an NTSB report, and fly west. Nice knowing you.

OP attempted to pre-empt this remark, so he's not flying behind the forum at least. :D

We could argue why I shouldn’t be flying single pilot with an rating that so new, but by the time insurance will approve, I’m going to have 50-100 hours in the 501 with an instructor anyway, so our bases will be covered there.

If nothing goes wrong and there is no IMC and no mistakes made and no ATC complications introduced than it is quite possible everything will be fine.

I mean really. What is the worst that could happen anyhow?

@Plano Pilot thanks for that information. I agree—“legal” doesn’t necessarily mean “safe” or “smart.”

Oh absolutely! I am the greenest of horns in the CE500. The purest form of green. Green enough to make a leprechaun go dizzy. Have you ever seen a dizzy leprechaun? They are similar to drunk leprechauns, only slightly better at math.

I digress.

This citation greenhorn is not going to fly any citation single pilot until adequately trained and experienced. The feds are the minimum, insurance is next, reality and safety are paramount. I’ve had too many friends, die and stupid accidents.. I don’t intend on joining them anytime soon.

OP attempted to pre-empt this remark, so he's not flying behind the forum at least. :D

I’m glad that at least one person appreciated my preemption in writing that comment :D I’ve been around various forums long enough to know what gets the people fired up…

If nothing goes wrong and there is no IMC and no mistakes made and no ATC complications introduced than it is quite possible everything will be fine.

I mean really. What is the worst that could happen anyhow?

Don’t forget about putting my big boy britches on! If I forget to do that, I’m up a creek.

Or possibly in a creek, depending on where the creek is in location to the smoking hole. Quite frankly, if I crash into an underground spring, I might even create a creek.

The possibilities are endless!!

I mean, what if I crash so deep that it turns a creek into a lake? Good thing I have my seaplane rating haha

Paste this into your logbook:

I hearby endorse @eman1200 to fly any plane he wants single pilot as log as he promises not to crash. texasclouds FPE8675309 4/18/2023.

Got it, thanks. Putting that in there now.

FWIW, I took my CE-500 type ride in a CE-550 sim with a copilot and my certificate says “SIC Required”.

I am in exactly the same situation. From my reading of the 8900.2C, which @Plano Pilot provided an excerpt of, I think it's pretty clear the training center where I did my type rating put the "SIC Required" on there in error. I asked the FSDO if they could fix it, but they said I had to take it up with the training center. I'm going to be down there for recurrent on another airframe in a couple of weeks anyway, so I'll ask then.

For me, it's mostly academic, as I don't fly the Citation anymore anyway. But I'd still like to remove some clutter off my pilot certificate if possible.

@RussR you never know. When I got out of the CE500's in the 80's I did not think I would fly them again. Early 2007 I took this job, flying an Ultra, now at age 61 it has turned into a nice simi-retirement job.

I am in exactly the same situation. From my reading of the 8900.2C, which @Plano Pilot provided an excerpt of, I think it's pretty clear the training center where I did my type rating put the "SIC Required" on there in error. I asked the FSDO if they could fix it, but they said I had to take it up with the training center. I'm going to be down there for recurrent on another airframe in a couple of weeks anyway, so I'll ask then.
expect to be referred back to the FAA. :rolleyes:

I dealt with one a while back where the two kept sending him back and forth. Both knew the Limitation shouldn’t be on his certificate, but neither was willing to remove it. I gave him a totally different type rating, abut since his FAA records didn’t have the Limitation, so I removed it when I issued his type rating.

Can I fly the CE501 (Citation 1SP) single pilot without a waiver or exemption right now with my clean CE500 type rating?

After researching the rules contained in Part 91 concerning when an SIC is required, the TCDS for the CE501/551, the FSB report, and the rules for the single pilot exemption…

The answer is that anyone with a CE500 type rating without “SIC required” does not need any exemption to fly the 501 SP because the exemption only applies to the non-SP models.
The 501 is a single pilot airplane. If you have the type rating and the equipment, you’re golden.

Please don’t use this as a means to go kill yourself in a SP jet without experience.

Well, I’m super confused. Have a CE-500 type, done with an SIC.
No “SIC required” restriction. Only Citation 500 series I’ve flown is the 550, (also typed in 560XL, 680, 750) which I understand needs a waiver for single pilot.

I have no clue. Only saving grace is I now fly an Airbus.

Well, I’m super confused. Have a CE-500 type, done with an SIC.
No “SIC required” restriction. Only Citation 500 series I’ve flown is the 550, (also typed in 560XL, 680, 750) which I understand needs a waiver for single pilot.

I have no clue. Only saving grace is I now fly an Airbus.
I worded that poorly. I’m not going to edit, as I’m at the bar. Too much cognizance needed to edit while getting liquored up.

The 501 is a single pilot airplane. If you have the type rating and the equipment, you’re golden.
I don't think that's correct. I have a C-500 type rating with no "SIC required" limitation, but I don't think I'm allowed to fly any single pilot Citation unless I demonstrate I can do it without a second in command. Pretty sure the FAA needs to see you do the entire type ride without help from an SIC. Anything less than that would be an FAA I'm not familiar with.

I don't think that's correct. I have a C-500 type rating with no "SIC required" limitation, but I don't think I'm allowed to fly any single pilot Citation unless I demonstrate I can do it without a second in command. Pretty sure the FAA needs to see you do the entire type ride without help from an SIC. Anything less than that would be an FAA I'm not familiar with.

The FAA TCDS for the 501 is A27CE.

It says:

Minimum Crew for all flights: one pilot plus equipment specified in the Airplane Flight Manual, or two pilots.

That means it has been type certified for single-pilot operations from day one. Just like a Cessna 172, no exemption is required to fly the 501 single pilot.

The TCDS for the 551 is the same.

The TCDS for the 500, 550, and all other two-pilot Citations say:

Minimum crew for all flights: two pilots.

Interestingly, any FAA paperwork on single pilot exemptions in the Citation 500 series ONLY EVER REFERENCE THE TWO PILOT AIRPLANES!

You won’t find the 501/551 ever mentioned in any literature that discusses making a TWO-PILOT airplane good for one pilot, because the 501/551 is ONE-PILOT from birth.

Single pilot exemptions were created to allow ONE PILOT to fly an airplane that is type certificated only TWO PILOTS to fly.

The 500 always requires two pilots. The only way around it is to get an SPE.

The 501 requires one pilot, only ever requiring two if the airplane doesn’t have the correct equipment on board, per the TCDS.

The 501 requires one pilot, only ever requiring two if the airplane doesn’t have the correct equipment on board, per the TCDS.
What about the “SIC REQUIRED” Limitation that may be placed on a 500 type rating?

What about the “SIC REQUIRED” Limitation that may be placed on a 500 type rating?

Then you would have to have an SIC. That limitation should only exist on certificates where the applicant took the check ride in a single-pilot airplane (501/551) but used an SIC on the test, which is optional.

Any case outside of that where the limitation exists is purely an error and should be removed. You would probably need to take a check ride single pilot in a 501/551 to delete that restriction.

That limitation should only exist on certificates where the applicant took the check ride in a single-pilot airplane (501/551) but used an SIC on the test, which is optional.
Do you have documentation to that effect?

Do you have documentation to that effect?
I see your point, absolutely. If your certificate says “SIC required,” then it’s required. But in all other cases, an SIC is NOT required to fly SP in a 501/551 that is properly equipped.

I see your point, absolutely. If your certificate says “SIC required,” then it’s required. But in all other cases, an SIC is NOT required to fly SP in a 501/551 that is properly equipped.
So, no, you don’t have documentation to that effect?

After researching the rules contained in Part 91 concerning when an SIC is required, the TCDS for the CE501/551, the FSB report, and the rules for the single pilot exemption…

The answer is that anyone with a CE500 type rating without “SIC required” does not need any exemption to fly the 501 SP because the exemption only applies to the non-SP models.

Please don’t use this as a means to go kill yourself in a SP jet without experience.

When I go to recurrent, I leave with my new exemption, 61.58 signoff and they ask me if I want a FAR 61.43(b)(2) signoff so that I can fly a 501 or 551 single pilot.

When I go to recurrent, I leave with my new exemption, 61.58 signoff and they ask me if I want a FAR 61.43(b)(2) signoff so that I can fly a 501 or 551 single pilot.
61.43 applies only to practical tests.

(b) The pilot flight crew complement required during the practical test is based on one of the
following requirements that applies to the aircraft being used on the practical test:

(2) If the aircraft's type certification data sheet requires the pilot flight crew complement be a
single pilot, then the applicant must demonstrate single pilot proficiency on the practical test.

If you take a checkride in a 501/551, you gotta do it single pilot unless you want the SIC restriction.

Good news for us that took it in the 550 is that our plane requires two pilots, therefore we won’t have a SIC requirement on the ticket. That’s under the 8900 DPE regulations.

I thought I was quoting a previous post. I’m typing on my phone and didn’t see that post.

Section 7 of the FSB Report.
You mean this?
7.1.1 Pilot Type Rating. Practical tests conducted in Textron Models 500, 550, S550, 552, and 560 are required to be conducted with two pilots and satisfactory completion will result in a CE-500 pilot type rating on the pilots temporary airmen certificate, with the limitation “CE-500 Second in Command Required.”
Those don’t look like 501 or 551, and it says the SIC Required Limitation will be put on the certificate.

I don’t believe that they are correct in giving you a 61.43 endorsement. I don’t think that’s required at all. I could be wrong… I like the back-and-forth discussion.

I worded that poorly. I’m not going to edit, as I’m at the bar. Too much cognizance needed to edit while getting liquored up.
Okay, now I’m home. I’ll try to clarify…

i have a CE-500, 560XL, 680, 750, and A320 types.

I the only 500 series Cessnas I’ve flown (560XL Does not count), is the 550. I did not do the type ride single pilot, nor does my certificate say “SIC required”.

I do know i cannot fly a 525 SP, but technically, as is the 560XL, those are not 500 series types.
Clear as mud??

You mean this?
Those don’t look like 501 or 551, and it says the SIC Required Limitation will be put on the certificate.

501/551 FSB

7. PILOT TYPE RATING

7.1 Type Rating. The Textron Models 501 and 551 type rating designation is CE-500.

• 7.1.1 Pilot Type Rating-Practical Test as Single Pilot Model 501/551. An applicant who satisfactorily completes a practical test as a single pilot in Model 501 or 551 will be issued a CE-500 pilot type rating.
  • 7.1.2 Pilot Type Rating-Practical Test with Two Pilots Model 501/551. An applicant who satisfactorily completes a practical test utilizing a second in command (SIC) in Model 501/551 will be issued a CE-500 pilot type rating with a Limitation,
    "CE-500 Second in Command Required."

7.1.1 Pilot Type Rating. Practical tests conducted in Textron Models 500, 550, S550, 552, and 560 are required to be conducted with two pilots and satisfactory completion will result in a CE-500 pilot type rating on the pilots temporary airmen certificate, with the limitation “CE-500 Second in Command Required.”

This is where the feds contradict themselves.

I took my checkride last week in a 550 with a copilot and have no limitations requiring an SIC. In fact, once I find it in my web history, I’ll send over the document that says that taking a check ride in a two-pilot airplane with two pilots means you WON’T have an SIC limitation.

On the FAA 8900.2C document for DPEs, page 7-91 (around 202 on PDF viewer), it says:

(b) An applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes a CE-500 pilot type rating practical test in a Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560, as appropriate, and uses the services of an SIC pilot crewmember, will be issued a CE-500 pilot type rating.

The examiner will record the results of the practical test in the applicant's logbook as

"Satisfactorily accomplished the CE-500 pilot type rating with an SIC crewmember in a [Cessna 500] [Cessna 550] [Cessna S550] [Cessna 552] [Cessna 560]."

Since the Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, and Cessna 560 type certifications require an SIC crewmember, the applicant's pilot certificate and CE-500 airplane type rating need not contain the limitation "Second-in-Command Required."

Note: The successful completion of a certification practical test in any of the Cessna 500 models listed in subparagraph 77b will qualify the applicant for a CE-500 pilot type rating.

On the FAA 8900.2C document for DPEs, page 7-91 (around 202 on PDF viewer), it says:
Except that is a sub-paragraph of
(2) Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560. An applicant for a “CE-500” pilot type rating who accomplishes the practical test in a Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560, as appropriate, may elect to accomplish the practical test as a single pilot if the person accomplished an approved single-pilot training program that was given by a training provider under a grant of exemption. The applicant may instead use the services of an SIC pilot crewmember.
And is referencing an approved training program for getting a single-pilot type rating.

Except that is a sub-paragraph of

And is referencing an approved training program for getting a single-pilot type rating.
(2) Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560. An applicant for a "CE-500” pilot type rating who accomplishes the practical test in a Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560, as appropriate, may elect to accomplish the practical test as a single pilot if the person accomplished an approved single-pilot training program that was given by a training provider under a grant of exemption. The applicant may instead use the services of an SIC pilot crewmember.

(a) An applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes an approved single-pilot training

course, successfully completes the CE-500 pilot type rating practical test in the Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560 as a single pilot, and uses a training provider who holds a grant of exemption from § 91.531 may operate as a single-pilot PIC in the Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560, as appropriate. The examiner will issue the CE-500 pilot type rating on the applicant's pilot certificate. The examiner will record the results of the practical test in the pilot's logbook as "Satisfactorily accomplished the CE-500 pilot type rating training as a single pilot in an [appropriate Cessna model]."

The applicant must receive a CO letter for single-pilot operations from the training provider.

In accordance with the training provider's grant of exemption, the pilot is also required to continue to receive the training provider's recurrent single-pilot training and comply with the provisions of that training provider's grant of exemption every 12 calendar-months to be reissued a COA letter for single-pilot operations.

(b) An applicant who satisfactorily accomplishes a CE-500 pilot type rating practical test in a Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, or Cessna 560, as appropriate, and uses the services of an SIC pilot crewmember, will be issued a CE-500 pilot type rating.

The examiner will record the results of the practical test in the applicant's logbook as

"Satisfactorily accomplished the CE-500 pilot type rating with an SIC crewmember in a [Cessna 500] [Cessna 550] [Cessna S550] [Cessna 552] [Cessna 560]." Since the Cessna 500, Cessna 550, Cessna S550, Cessna 552, and Cessna 560 type certifications require an SIC crewmember, the applicant's pilot certificate and CE-500 airplane type rating need not contain the limitation "Second-in-Command Required."

Back