Does it needs a 100 hour inspection?

Either way, though, if you decide it needs a 100-hour, it needs it now to continue instruction. It's pretty clear that the time is measured from the last 100/annual, not from when revenue service started. (And not that regulations are always logical, but it just makes more sense that way, too.)

Sounded like the issue was whether the 25 hours personal was important to when to get a 100-hour, not whether the 100-hour was needed. It's not.

Either way, though, if you decide it needs a 100-hour, it needs it now to continue instruction. It's pretty clear that the time is measured from the last 100/annual, not from when revenue service started. (And not that regulations are always logical, but it just makes more sense that way, too.)

Sounded like the issue was whether the 25 hours personal was important to when to get a 100-hour, not whether the 100-hour was needed. It's not.
Absolutely. The reg is actually very straightforward on that part. We're the ones who confuse it by talking about such things as needing an inspection "every 100 hours," as though the trigger is designating the aircraft for training purposes. It's not. The trigger is using the aircraft for flight training purposes on a specific flight.

I am using the aircraft today. If it is provided by the instructor for flight training for hire (or carrying passengers for hire), it needs to have had the inspection within the past 100 hours. If it is not, it doesn't.

Absolutely. The reg is actually very straightforward on that part. We're the ones who confuse it by talking about such things as needing an inspection "every 100 hours," as though the trigger is designating the aircraft for training purposes. It's not. The trigger is using the aircraft for flight training purposes on a specific flight.

I am using the aircraft today. If it is provided by the instructor for flight training for hire (or carrying passengers for hire), it needs to have had the inspection within the past 100 hours. If it is not, it doesn't.
so...how do you do that? Do you have a special log to track comm flight hrs? o_O

so...how do you do that? Do you have a special log to track comm flight hrs? o_O

But that's exactly the point. It's not needed. I don't need to know how many commercial hours there have been. The only hour that matters is the next one. I only need to check: When was the last 100/annual? If it's within 100 hours, the commercial flight I'm about to take is OK. If not, not.

(Well, it's a touch more complicated than that. If the last one was late inside the 10 hours of grace period, you have to go from when that 100 hour was supposed to be. So you really need to check the last two 100s.)

here I thought one could subtract out all the non-commercial hours....to track the 100 hrs between inspections? o_O

No. I think you are still misunderstanding. Here are the standard steps I think most of us take when grabbing a rental at an FBO.
  1. Read the tach ("A").
  2. Look at the log for the tach on the last annual or 100 hour. (number "B")
  3. Compare the two ("A-B").
  • If it's instruction or passengers for hire, you care about the date of the annual and A-B<100.
  • If it's not instruction or passengers for hire, you care about the date of the annual.

Back