Does Fracking lead to earthquakes

All of you Anti's heat your homes with wood, read by candlelight, and ride bicycles, right? Because if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. :eek:

They can use coal also...no fracing there...

All of you Anti's heat your homes with wood, read by candlelight, and ride bicycles, right? Because if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. :eek:

Actually Ben does pretty well with very low tech, low cost, solar heating.

I am FAR from an ANTI........:yes::yes::yes:.....;)

Wyoming passed legislation allowing Frack operators to NOT have to disclose the ingredients in their special brew.....

It could contain pure distilled water......... or...... diesel, gasoline,toulene, acetone, jet fuel, used dish washing soap, lead, plutonium, chromium, PCB's, heavy metals, arsenic, methanol, moonshine , etc etc etc etc.....

They don't have to tell and you can bet they will NOT either......

You just have to trust them.....:eek::yikes:..........:rolleyes2:

This is true in most jurisdictions. They don't have to tell the public ANYTHING! And.....they are not culpable and cannot be sued! Taxpayers will pay the damages, same as Wall Street. PRIVATIZE profits, SOCIALIZE loss!

Problem with all these new technologies is you don't know what the large scale results are for a couple of decades. When we stop and look at fracking technology within another light, we may figure out how to use it for controlled releases of fault tension and rid us of major earthquakes.

Fracking has been going here in Oklahoma since 1948. Hardly new technology. However, in the early days, they didn't have the ability to create some of the higher pressures as in later years. Fracking has been done basically the same way since the 70's if not a little earlier. Let us not forget that the best places to find oil is where there are already fault lines. I would imagine it contributes some to more quakes, or perhaps higher magnitude, but in over 6 decades of fracking, it hasn't changed things much here. All this fracking hoopla has come about in the last few years like it's all brand new, because we've been drilling more in places where the people aren't used to it, and in places that haven't experienced much exploration. There are some new drilling and extraction practices being used in recent years, but mostly it's all been taking place for many years in some parts of the world, but most folks haven't been around it. No reason for folks to get there panties in a twist.

Fracking has been going here in Oklahoma since 1948. Hardly new technology. However, in the early days, they didn't have the ability to create some of the higher pressures as in later years. Fracking has been done basically the same way since the 70's if not a little earlier. Let us not forget that the best places to find oil is where there are already fault lines. I would imagine it contributes some to more quakes, or perhaps higher magnitude, but in over 6 decades of fracking, it hasn't changed things much here. All this fracking hoopla has come about in the last few years like it's all brand new, because we've been drilling more in places where the people aren't used to it, and in places that haven't experienced much exploration. There are some new drilling and extraction practices being used in recent years, but mostly it's all been taking place for many years in some parts of the world, but most folks haven't been around it. No reason for folks to get there panties in a twist.
oh but there Is! There are horror story's continuing about modern day frack ing and very recently, ny state has decided not to allow it. Many rubes will say they just don't know what they are talking about and condem " the govmint" but ny state studied it very carefully, much more than you have and did indeed get " their panties in a twist"! No one said it was new. What they HAVE said is modern fracking is in many instances dangerous and costly.

I think people who call it Fracking are intentionally trying to associate it with a negative term term that uses a "U" where the "RA" belongs. As in "These greedy bastards are fracking the planet"

That said. There is no such thing as a "Fracing Well". There are wells that have been fraced as part of the completion process (initial wells) and there are existing wells that have been fraced to extend their yeild, but rarely if ever is the same well re-fraced.

A typical well is drilled and cemented in approximately 2-3 days, it would then be fraced for up to 5 days based on the number of zones (sometimes called stages) involved. (This for those in the know is based on Ball and Sleeve perforations).

Then the well happily draws up natural gas or oil from the shale for a long time.

I agree with the prior comments on the driller and cementer being more commonly the issue with ground water contamination, because physical science suggests that when shooting pressurized fluids down a tube that has bores in the end for it to exit, the path of least resistance is into the shale rather than the hardened casing of the well shaft. (yes, seals are possible to but surface drilling tends to have seal placement below the at-risk water table... different than the case of off-shore since the shafts go through a long stretch of moving environment before they get to the "more stable" sea floor)

I don't know of any off-shore fracing going on.

to read more about the process, chemistry, etc take a look at www.fracfocus.org You can find the wells near you, near the epicenters of them earthquakes, what got pumped, by who, and who the well operators are.

Disclaimer: If it sounds like I'm pro-fracing it's because I am. Much better than some of the late 80's ideas of strip mining for Shale and then pressure cooking out the good stuff. I worked for "a major oil company" from '84 - '97 and now do financial and IT consulting to many industries including Oil and Gas.

Offshore frac'ing certainly was occurring in the 1990s. There are still frac'ing boats under contract at Edison Choest painted in SlumberJ's livery I believe.

One of the problems seen post well production is bad/worn pipe and threads that allow leaking into the water table, especially with natural gas. This is what causes a lot of the flaming sinks and such. Not all threads are equal, and the good ones are expensive to produce.

I think people who call it Fracking are intentionally trying to associate it with a negative term term that uses a "U" where the "RA" belongs. As in "These greedy bastards are fracking the planet"

I used it because it is the only term I have heard for what they are doing. I thought that is what it s called.

I used it because it is the only term I have heard for what they are doing. I thought that is what it s called.

The term is "hydraulic fracturing", that is far too much work for most people to say, two syllables seems to be the maximum allowable in American culture, even a three syllable name requires 5 attempts to clarify. So the brain trust out in the field hammering the pipe couplings together on the equipment started calling it frac-ing. Since these people don't typically write anything down, when liberal arts majors overheard this brain trust talking about what they do and put pen to paper, they erroneously spelled it 'fracking' for no reason that makes any sense. You figure at least one reporter would be an English major and use a proper colloquial creation and pen it 'frac'ing' much as foc'sle is the colloquial penning for "fore castle"

The term is "hydraulic fracturing", that is far too much work for most people to say, two syllables seems to be the maximum allowable in American culture, even a three syllable name requires 5 attempts to clarify. So the brain trust out in the field hammering the pipe couplings together on the equipment started calling it frac-ing. Since these people don't typically write anything down, when liberal arts majors overheard this brain trust talking about what they do and put pen to paper, they erroneously spelled it 'fracking' for no reason that makes any sense. You figure at least one reporter would be an English major and use a proper colloquial creation and pen it 'frac'ing' much as foc'sle is the colloquial penning for "fore castle"

Whoa! Slow down there sunshine.

I am in Texas. You are overestimating our syllable count.
Heck even the number of letters are too many.

Should be "Frak'n" Only having that apostrophe there is a little queer.

We don't take too kindly to liberal art majors down here neither!

So take your Hydrolic whatchamaduty science talk and head out to the coast somewhere wher'n they'll like yer pretty words.

Move along now. The ball game is about to start.

Whoa! Slow down there sunshine.

I am in Texas. You are overestimating our syllable count.
Heck even the number of letters are too many.

Should be "Frak'n" Only having that apostrophe there is a little queer.

We don't take too kindly to liberal art majors down here neither!

So take your Hydrolic whatchamaduty science talk and head out to the coast somewhere wher'n they'll like yer pretty words.

Move along now. The ball game is about to start.

there is no "k" in fracing - please correct your correction

Some linguists say the "k" is in their rules. I say come out to location and they'll see their rules don't mean squat. There is no "k" in fracing. Anyone that wants to be correct should call it hydraulic fracturing. Don't throw linguistic rules at me when you are too lazy to use the correct name.

I hope everyone realizes that we (the oil & gas industry) have been pumping hydraulic fracturing jobs for more than thirty years. It isn't something new just because it is now in the news.

Verbs ending in -c

If the verb ends in -c (e.g. panic), you need to add a -k before adding -ed and -ing, and also -er.

[row][cell] verb [/cell][cell] past tense [/cell][cell] present participle [/cell][cell] related noun [/cell][/row][row][cell]picnic[/cell][cell] picnicked[/cell][cell] picnicking[/cell][cell] picnicker[/cell][/row][row][cell]mimic[/cell][cell] mimicked[/cell][cell] mimicking[/cell][cell] mimicker[/cell][/row][row][cell]traffic[/cell][cell] trafficked[/cell][cell] trafficking[/cell][cell] trafficker[/cell][/row]
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/verb-tenses-adding-ed-and-ing

You know intuitively that fracking rhymes with tracking and fracing rhymes with tracing.

The correct usage is 'fracking' when speaking of hydraulic fracturing in an informal way.

As to adding an apostrophe inside the middle of the word -- I don't remember seeing that sort of contraction in modern English. The apostrophe is used to contract two separate words into one, don't you see. Or possession. Or it is used at the beginning of a word to show that a leading syllable is dropped.

[snark]Finally, if rules don't mean squat at fracking locations, well, 'nuff said.[/snark]

Last edited:
Score one for AP!

Verbs ending in -c

If the verb ends in -c (e.g. panic), you need to add a -k before adding -ed and -ing, and also -er.

[row][cell] verb [/cell][cell] past tense [/cell][cell] present participle [/cell][cell] related noun [/cell][/row][row][cell]picnic[/cell][cell] picnicked[/cell][cell] picnicking[/cell][cell] picnicker[/cell][/row][row][cell]mimic[/cell][cell] mimicked[/cell][cell] mimicking[/cell][cell] mimicker[/cell][/row][row][cell]traffic[/cell][cell] trafficked[/cell][cell] trafficking[/cell][cell] trafficker[/cell][/row]
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/verb-tenses-adding-ed-and-ing

You know intuitively that fracking rhymes with tracking and fracing rhymes with tracing.

The correct usage is 'fracking' when speaking of hydraulic fracturing in an informal way.

As to adding an apostrophe inside the middle of the word -- I don't remember seeing that sort of contraction in modern English. The apostrophe is used to contract two separate words into one, don't you see. Or possession. Or it is used at the beginning of a word to show that a leading syllable is dropped.

[snark]Finally, if rules don't mean squat at fracking locations, well, 'nuff said.[/snark]

Now, now AP, I clearly typed "linguist's rules" - if'n yer gonna be dogmatic at least try to be accurate when you attempt to be snarcy.

And there is no "k" in frac'ing - fracturing would be the conjugation to which you are referring. We're deep into slang here and linguistic rules don't apply to slang.

HTH and HAND

Just for curiosity I went onto a website of a company which does a lot of hydraulic fracturing. And that's what they call it in their written materials. Sometimes it's shortened to "fracturing" as in "fracturing fluids". No "fracking", "fracing" or "frac'ing" in evidence. For me, "frac'ing" is the weird one. Stupid autocorrect only recognizes "fracking", not the others.

For all of the cunning linguists out there: how do you feel about "perks" being the shortened version of "perquisites?" Should it not be "perqs?"

For all of the cunning linguists out there: how do you feel about "perks" being the shortened version of "perquisites?" Should it not be "perqs?"
I would pronounce "perqs" the same as "perks" so no problem. :D

Cunning linquists indeed!! :) Could the OP's question be re-stated as "Does the earth move when you're fracking?" :)

Jim

Cunning linquists indeed!! :) Could the OP's question be re-stated as "Does the earth move when you're frac'ing?" :)

FTFY

OBTW, there have been studies conducted to precisely measure the earth movement associated with hydraulic fracturing...

Last edited:
Lessee...earth moves thru its orbit a 67,000 miles an hour....so you weren't frac'ing very freaking long...20 seconds maybe? :lol:

Jim

Unless....

Someone is fracking on the opposite side of the earth at the exact same time..... Then they offset...:rolleyes:;)........:D

Lessee...earth moves thru its orbit a 67,000 miles an hour....so you weren't frac'ing very freaking long...20 seconds maybe? :lol:

Jim

It was a quote from The Big Bang Theory, and Leonard was given the nickname "Speed of Light Leonard" by one of his partners, so ...

It was a quote from The Big Bang Theory, and Leonard was given the nickname "Speed of Light Leonard" by one of his partners, so ...

Big Bang Theory re-runs are literally the ONLY thing I miss from leaving sat TV for the antenna / Roku. :dunno: Still catch a new BBT on occasion....great show! Thanks for the reference!

Jim

Just experienced my first earthquake.
Scared the hell out of me.

Only a 3.5 but things moved that shouldn't.
Quite unsettling.

3.5 Freaked you out? Dude, that's just a little bump in the night.

I am sure it is but for 38 years, my reality has involved things not shaking.
Tornadoes, lightning, flooding, drought. I can deal. This is going to take some getting used to.

I lived in CA most of my life, 3.5 won't even wake me up! :rofl:

Now those tornadoes on the other hand... they won't let me sleep if there's even a severe thunderstorm watch :rolleyes:

Back