Does anyone really like...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
... Olive Garden?

I mean seriously?

I can't find any redeeming qualities about it, other than an indecisive group of suburbanites will always agree to go there.

think I only ate there once, ever, about 7 years ago.

Last edited:
It's awful. And that's aside from the food poisoning on my last and final visit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been in one in over 20 years. Supposedly the all you can eat salad and breadsticks is a big deal for many. Calling it "Italian" around most anyone from the NY/NJ area is considered fighting words. Probably similar to how Mexican, Tex-mex, and BBQ can cause arguments in other parts of the country.

... Olive Garden?

I mean seriously?

I can't find any redeeming qualities about it, other than an indecisive group of suburbanites will always agree to go there.

It's quite terrible. The only thing I've had there that I enjoyed was a cappuccino.

How would I know, I haven't been there in more than 10 years

I don't mind Olive Garden, but after reading some of the threads here, I'm not as sophisticated or particular, foodwise, as many. Count me in as one of the bored suburbanites.

I don't think most folks mind it... I was just wondering if there's any real humans out there who like it. As in, "Ooh, I want to go to Olive Garden!" :)

To me all those kinds of corporate places, whether it be an Olive Garden, Applebees or wherever else, is the culinary equivalent of listening to Matchbox 20.

I don't think most folks mind it... I was just wondering if there's any real humans out there who like it. As in, "Ooh, I want to go to Olive Garden!" :)
I don't do that, LOL. In fact I don't think I've been to an Olive Garden in the Denver area. They were OK for dinner out of town though, when you need to find someplace to eat and you don't want to do much research.

It's not a place I would pick on my own accord. It's okay. When the safe zone is in mediocrity, it's a safe choice. All I eat at Italian restaurants is the chicken Ceasar salad anyway, and they're all about the same.

Ha ha I just got back from eating one at the Vietnamese cafe.

To me all those kinds of corporate places, whether it be an Olive Garden, Applebees or wherever else, is the culinary equivalent of listening to Matchbox 20.
Sometimes Applebees or Olive Garden is the only thing they have in Moline!

I feel the same about Macaroni Grill. Never impressed me.

If you're ever in Columbia and want Italian, I recommend Al's Upstairs.

I'll take Applebees over Olive Garden. But I generally avoid the corporate chain restaurants too. One exception is Outback. I do like Outback.

If I'm going for the dependable "Italian" like Olive Garden, I'd just assume go to Johnny Carino's or Zio's. Macaroni Grill sucked all the way around, much like the Black Eyed Pea.

I feel the same about Macaroni Grill. Never impressed me.

If you're ever in Columbia and want Italian, I recommend Al's Upstairs.

I've had some pretty decent ribeyes at Macaroni Grill before. But I would agree everything else is... just like any other chain Italian place.

... Olive Garden?

I mean seriously?

Nope, people rave about their bread sticks, they seem bland and non-fresh baked to me. And their salad too, I think their Italian dressing tastes like Kraft or insert generic Italian dressing of choice.

It's not a place I would pick on my own accord. It's okay. When the safe zone is in mediocrity, it's a safe choice. All I eat at Italian restaurants is the chicken Ceasar salad anyway, and they're all about the same.

Ha ha I just got back from eating one at the Vietnamese cafe.

LOL. Olive Garden: Creating safe zones since 1982! :)

Olive Garden and Red Lobster are on my "do not land there" lists after more than a couple underwhelming experiences. I'm not a food snob either, but with all the breweries and eateries around San Diego you are better off going to one of them, the food will be lovingly and well put together with a good atmosphere for the same price

Haven't been to OG in a long, long time. I used to stop in once every other month for lunch - soup, salad, and breadsticks. I think I've been there for dinner 3-4 times in the last 20 years.

My recollection is that it's OK.

I drive past our local OG 2x/day M-F. No matter what time I leave work in the afternoon, that lot is always full.

Olive Garden and Red Lobster are on my "do not land there" lists after more than a couple underwhelming experiences. I'm not a food snob either, but with all the breweries and eateries around San Diego you are better off going to one of them, the food will be lovingly and well put together with a good atmosphere for the same price
Red Lobster is the McDonalds of seafood ... oh wait, that's WAY too generous ...

Am I the only person who has never been to an Olive Garden?

I have a good friend of Italian descent who lives on Long Island and swore there was "no good Italian food west of the Hudson" My spaghetti sauce convinced him otherwise. I was rather mentally unprepared for him to go back for thirds. He did, and I enjoyed the moment. Yep, I'm bragging a bit.

Like most, I have been disappointed in the offerings of some restaurants claiming to make Italian, or other culture's ethnic foods. Indian foods seemed to lack substance. While tasty they left me hungry on the way out the door. Somehow the American versions just don't make the grade. They seem to alter the recipes to cater to what they think are American's tastes and the result is not great. I'm open to a lot of different recipes but question the authenticity of some of them.

Tons of recipes on line if you are willing to try them. Some are great; others suck because they have been adulterated beyond recognition. Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. Ya gotta be a bit experimental in your tastes.

Never go there. Too many better places around.

The only good thing about Olive Garden was unlimited breadsticks & pasta fagioli.

I believe they did away with that....

I dunno. Last time I went to San Francisco with my parents, they wanted to go to Olive Garden.

I was flummoxed. In a city with 1500 amazing restaurants in 50 square miles, they wanted to go to the bland chain restaurant they could find just anywhere. My strategy there when you "don't know" is to pick a place randomly. That doesn't work everywhere, but it sure does in that city. I've stumbled on some real gems just walking around.

So I guess the answer to Nate's question is yes. There just is no accounting for taste.

My dad grew up in the City. You would think he would know better.

I eat there after Oshkosh just about every year. After no raw veggies for a week the never ending salad, as lame as it is, is quite refreshing.

I would honestly rather go to a Fazolis. Sure it's fast food but I'll have an easier time finding something I like on the menu and I won't feel like I just paid a fortune for what is really just some pasta in a sauce.

Back